HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2008, 02:03 PM
build, fly, crash, repeat ...
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
Tenergy makes a 130 mah lipo for the mcx, I just got one off ebay, it came last night and I haven't had a chace to try it yet, so no flight reports for it at the moment, but it's exactly the same size as the stock 110 mah battery, see pictures
Stuart Linfoot is offline Find More Posts by Stuart Linfoot
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2008, 02:22 PM
build, fly, crash, repeat ...
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
I found this at all-battery.com for 37.00, I also saw something at live.com that says shipping is free, not sure how that works though.
Stuart Linfoot is offline Find More Posts by Stuart Linfoot
Old Dec 13, 2008, 02:22 PM
Michigan
Joined Apr 2001
534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-gull
My MCX had a little shake for months since I got it. Performs like a champ. Wish the battery life of the Lipos was better. I had four batteries that lasted less than 85 flights per battery and thought it was the stock charger at 3C causing that. Maybe not. I got the connector and charge with my Accu-Cycle at 100 mAh and leave up to hours between charge, flight, and recharge. My second set of batteries are going fast. One is down to 3 minutes after about 30 flights. I use to use NICAD and NIMH batteries and they sll lasted longer than these LIPOS. All my Lipos that I use for my 3D planes last over 300 flights with less care and even the cheapest Lipos that I could find. Guess I have found the cheapest batteries on the planet. I am thinking I need to try some other batteries for the MCX. Anyone have any experience with other batteries to replace the poor quality MCX batteries.
To be sure your problem is due to the batteries, I'd suggest that you run some charge and discharge cycles on a charger that will indicate mah put in and taken out of the battery. You may have connector problems as mentioned or motor problems.
Rob Hair is offline Find More Posts by Rob Hair
Old Dec 13, 2008, 02:38 PM
Loading User Title...
Dayton, Ohio
Joined Aug 2007
637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy Driver
I was wondering the same thing and am interested if anyone tried to use these?
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7567
Yes that is exactly what I use. I have 5 of those batteries made. There is a post I made about them somewhere...
goldenite007 is offline Find More Posts by goldenite007
Old Dec 13, 2008, 03:56 PM
Round Lake, IL
Joined Oct 2007
415 Posts
Can you use the charger that comes with the mcx to charge them?? I wish the mah was a little higher!
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenite007
Yes that is exactly what I use. I have 5 of those batteries made. There is a post I made about them somewhere...
handyflyer is offline Find More Posts by handyflyer
Old Dec 13, 2008, 03:56 PM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,048 Posts
Hey guys. I posted this elsewhere, but I thought you all might like it too. Its pretty simple, slightly bigger in size, and slightly heavier in weight (by about .6g), but gives the heli a differant look. I've only worked with kevlar like this a few times before, so there's still a few things to learn, but I like it. Since its bigger than the stock shell, the servo gears at the bottom of the RX are now protected quite well. The extra weight at the nose helps forward flight a bit too

Nick
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
Old Dec 13, 2008, 05:58 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
MIA Canopies.

While on the subject of canopies, I added more canpies to the MIA line. Latest one is a full scale MIA MD500E
MarioIArguello is offline Find More Posts by MarioIArguello
Last edited by MarioIArguello; Dec 13, 2008 at 08:44 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 07:12 PM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,048 Posts
Hmmm, I may just have to whip up some decals! Nice stuff, Mario, thanks for the idea. Are the canopies heat formed? I need a new female mold material/process, heat forming plastic looks like it would be a clean way to do it.

Thanks,
Nick
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
Old Dec 13, 2008, 09:01 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioIArguello
While on the subject of canopies, I added more canpies to the MIA line. Latest one is a full scale MIA MD500E
I am down for one of those md500's, how much more do they weigh over stock?
antslake is offline Find More Posts by antslake
Old Dec 13, 2008, 09:17 PM
York, ne
Joined Feb 2005
599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Linfoot
Tenergy makes a 130 mah lipo for the mcx, I just got one off ebay, it came last night and I haven't had a chace to try it yet, so no flight reports for it at the moment, but it's exactly the same size as the stock 110 mah battery, see pictures
Looking forward to a flight report!
melcrose is offline Find More Posts by melcrose
Old Dec 13, 2008, 10:02 PM
TREE TOP PILOT
United States, IN, Greenfield
Joined Feb 2007
1,811 Posts
500 scale canopy for the mcx heli

Quote:
Originally Posted by antslake
I am down for one of those md500's, how much more do they weigh over stock?
He tells all about it here 500 scale canopy for the mcx heli Thread
crashdumby is offline Find More Posts by crashdumby
Old Dec 13, 2008, 11:32 PM
New Blaine , AR
Joined Dec 2004
264 Posts
Well I just got my mcx and vapor/tx yesterday and before charging the lipos "4 total" for the first time, I did the pot mod as well as added a plug to charge with my triton at .1 amp.
They fly great but sure enough the lipos suck . I tried all 4 and none of them will give over 3min flights.
Now what really sucks is I already ordered 2 more spare lipos for the mcx before I even tried the crappy ones that came with it.

Lesson learned I guess. Oh and as I type I'm doing a charge /discharge on my triton to see just how many mah's is going in and out.
Helichainsaw is offline Find More Posts by Helichainsaw
Old Dec 13, 2008, 11:36 PM
New Blaine , AR
Joined Dec 2004
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Linfoot
I found this at all-battery.com for 37.00, I also saw something at live.com that says shipping is free, not sure how that works though.
Looks like a better buy then just the 2 lipos alone from what I seen on ebay.
Helichainsaw is offline Find More Posts by Helichainsaw
Old Dec 14, 2008, 02:39 AM
Crash=N=Learn
Oval Office
Joined Sep 2008
101 Posts
Quote:
You're hard @ work Mario.. Keep up the great work. As a pioneer in this Hobie I'm sure to see some new innovative stuff from you in the near future. I'm always inspired by Your work. This is not a Kiss @__s statement, Just my honest opinion.
RC_:) is offline Find More Posts by RC_:)
Old Dec 14, 2008, 08:32 AM
n00b pilot
Brandenburg, KY, USA
Joined Dec 2005
447 Posts
Quote:

OMG! BLUE! WTB!
MikeyToo is offline Find More Posts by MikeyToo