Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 29, 2008, 07:20 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,057 Posts
Video
Shannon New Zealand

the only DS'ing I got to do was in little to no wind at all apart from some slermals but this site would go off with the right wind direction. My mate Dave had some old EPP foam cores in his workshop so I stuck em together taped them up and took it out and DS'ed it. As it turned out this Vid makes a good intro into DS as it captured the full circuit and what we normally do a lot faster Still the Ashhurst guys had not seen it done before so it may give them the basic idea. be warned Its 71 meg no music just the sounds of New Zealand. Dave will be working on a Sloping New Zealand DVD for the next year so it will contain this sort of stuff Good luck with it Dave
SteveW
P.S. just rehashed the video into a smaller version think its a little better
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Last edited by steve wenban; Oct 19, 2008 at 03:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2008, 03:18 AM
Heathcote, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
579 Posts
That looks like it was fun, like the sound in them there hills too.
Whats the devil music with the clip Steve?
slowflow is offline Find More Posts by slowflow
Old Oct 20, 2008, 03:37 AM
Joined Dec 2003
23,057 Posts
just pride puts some life into slow circles
SteveW
Old Oct 21, 2008, 12:26 PM
Cary, NC
Joined Oct 2006
1,476 Posts
Steve, that was awesome flying. I think that it's "easy" to DS in strong wind (if you have the reflexes), but recognizing if it "works" in light wind, that's not easy (especially for me). Just loved the video, thanks for uploading.

M.
Mihai is offline Find More Posts by Mihai
Old Oct 21, 2008, 02:13 PM
Joined Dec 2003
23,057 Posts
Thanks ,
Even though there was none to a very light breeze and lots of thermal activity it worked well problem was the shear layer if you can call it one was so close to the ground I nearly had to cut the grass to hit it still it was all good fun . I cant even tell you what the wing is . My mate I visited over there had it stuck in the corner of the workshop in pieces so for the hell of it I joined the panels put a big carbon spar in it fully filament taped it for DS work and added some fancy coloured packing tape . All of about 4 hours work and that flight was pretty much its maiden . My mate Dave is now on a year long slope adventure around both Islands of New Zealand and will be putting a DVD together so I'm looking forward to seeing that .
SteveW
Old Oct 21, 2008, 04:19 PM
Cary, NC
Joined Oct 2006
1,476 Posts
I was wondering what you're doing in NZ. The wing looks like a Bee, and seems to fly a bit like a Bee - maybe is a bee clone or something. Looking forward to see the DVD, from what I saw NZ has awesome views!

Best,
Mihai
Old Oct 21, 2008, 05:13 PM
Joined Dec 2003
23,057 Posts
Holidays I go over there and stay at his place and we fly he comes over here and stays at my place and we fly lol both our wives get on well and they go sight seeing as to the wing bee's are moulded EPP this one was hand cut by the look of it and was given to Dave as a bit of junk
I beat when the guy see how well it flys he'll be pretty dirty about giving it away I left with Dave of course its his site tester come DS machine now
he like myself usually only fly Glass
SteveW
Old Oct 21, 2008, 06:18 PM
France, Aquitaine, Duras
Joined Jan 2006
322 Posts
I just do not understand

I have watched this video and several others and now I am completely baffled as to what is going on. I have been slope soaring since the mid 1960's, I have read loads about DS'ing on the net, yet the videos do not seem to show what I have read. I thought the idea was to gain height into wind, then go behind the slope with the wind, dive down into the low speed air coming back towards the slope [on the back side] then up and again with the wind, still on the back side of the slope. Yet no videos seem to show it this way. See my rough sketch. Am I missing something, or just not seeing what is going on in the video? The model seems to be diving down the rear of the slope. Help explain please someone!!
krafty is offline Find More Posts by krafty
Old Oct 21, 2008, 08:25 PM
Cary, NC
Joined Oct 2006
1,476 Posts
Krafty, DS doesn't work because there is a rotor behind the hill - there is no need for that. What you need is a difference in the wind speed in the "shadow" of the hill and above it and you need to turn on top and at the bottom (in the right direction). The RCSD last year (or beginning of this year) has a series on DS that explains it pretty well.

Best,
M.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 08:36 PM
Joined Dec 2003
23,057 Posts
Diagram

Krafty ,
your diagram is a little wrong close but wrong
we use the compression layer of air which sling shots the aircraft back down again each time it hits this layer you can see that in the diagram that the air compresses and travels fast across the top , the video was very light air hence the layer was not as apparent and some times not there at all . Its gentle and very smooth control that keeps it going in light air but in big air the layer is easier to hit and of course a lot faster. you will notice the model is flying either the centre line of the ridge or even forward of it in some cases as the layer just vanishes
SteveW
Last edited by steve wenban; Oct 21, 2008 at 08:47 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 01:06 PM
France, Aquitaine, Duras
Joined Jan 2006
322 Posts
Dee Essing; I got it wrong

Thanks to you both. I guess the only way is to give it a go. I will take a foam wing and a toilet roll and a plastic rubbish bag, and head for the hills.
krafty
krafty is offline Find More Posts by krafty
Old Oct 22, 2008, 01:19 PM
Joined Dec 2003
23,057 Posts
start slowly dive in a few times and only get a circuit in and punch out front side ,do that a few times till you feel a bit more comfortable , I've been flying for around the same time as you and going to the wrong side of the hill does not feel natural and defies all you years of learning dont go over the back, really we where miss informed .The albatross bird has been doing since it evolved from a lizard lol.
Be warned though Once you have done it there is no turning back from the darkside.
SteveW