HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2008, 09:56 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,723 Posts
Discussion
Heng Long tank problems.

Hello, I've been seriously considering purchasing one of these tanks,but I've noticed alot of people have had trouble with them. It seems like alot of small problems,but I dont want something that I will constantly be repairing. Would purchasing an upgraded tank with metal gears and tracks eliminate some of the problems? Suggestions please.
Predreadnut is offline Find More Posts by Predreadnut
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2008, 10:17 PM
TAS, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
241 Posts
I feel all the accessories add to the problems - the tanks were originally made all-plastic, and my all-plastic tanks have no worries at all.

Remember people only join forums and start threads to report problems and issues, not to say their tank is working perfect etc, so what looks bad isnt the whole picture - Heng Long tanks are great, if they weren't I wouldnt have so many!!
wackywheelz is offline Find More Posts by wackywheelz
Old Sep 28, 2008, 11:26 PM
Escondido, California
Joined Apr 2007
925 Posts
It depends on which model you buy and what metal you want to put on it!

The Tiger 1 has a ton of metal upgrades but if they are not done right, it will make you tank worse! Also adding metal makes the drive look and feel more realistice but then you must add cooling to the board as in a fan on the frive FETs or enlarge the heat sink or both! Other wise the extra weight will fry that board when you get in a stall situation! Now I like to run the metal Gearbox even with the plastic but they should be broken in to help them to run properly! These are just a few of my opinions and I own 8 Heng Longs, 1 WSN, 1 Matorro and 1 Tamiya Sherman!

The Blitz
Blitzkrieg65 is offline Find More Posts by Blitzkrieg65
Old Oct 20, 2008, 11:20 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2008
107 Posts
well i bought a heng long panzer 3 from ebay for 30! and it works perfectly well, sadly i jammed the barell when re painting it :| oops! also i have a HL tiger which iv sadly had lots of probs with, the suspension arm housing is terrible! kept snapping so i bought the metal bars which can be found on ebay for around 15, thats the only upgrade yul need hopefully
michelekingtig is offline Find More Posts by michelekingtig
Old Oct 20, 2008, 01:59 PM
Joined Dec 2006
284 Posts
For the amount of money you pay, they are brilliant. Don't expect perfection; although my Panzer III with metal tracks and boxes IS perfect

My friend had a bunch of problems with his Bulldog with metal parts, but others really like them and have no trouble.

The Panzer III is small and perfectly formed - as tanks go!

Approx 4 hours continuous running in long grass and probably 100 BBs fired with no maintenance apart from a squirt of grease in the boxes. For 80 and I expect many hours more
dogshome is offline Find More Posts by dogshome
Old Nov 02, 2008, 04:01 PM
United States, CA, Ridgecrest
Joined Aug 2007
518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg65
It depends on which model you buy and what metal you want to put on it!

The Tiger 1 has a ton of metal upgrades but if they are not done right, it will make you tank worse! Also adding metal makes the drive look and feel more realistice but then you must add cooling to the board as in a fan on the frive FETs or enlarge the heat sink or both! Other wise the extra weight will fry that board when you get in a stall situation! Now I like to run the metal Gearbox even with the plastic but they should be broken in to help them to run properly! These are just a few of my opinions and I own 8 Heng Longs, 1 WSN, 1 Matorro and 1 Tamiya Sherman!

The Blitz
Weight is good if you stay with scale movement I read somewhere that the 1:16 panzer would do 15 mph that's like 150 mph on the battlefield not sure why you need that kind of speed with a tank unless your a chicken and trying to run...If you stay to scale speed you should be able to achieve all your gole's with out throwing a track or over heating problem's..?? But what do I know I am a newbie..
peskeybobcat is offline Find More Posts by peskeybobcat
Last edited by peskeybobcat; Nov 02, 2008 at 04:14 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 05:09 PM
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
Heng Long Control Problems

First off let me say that for the money Heng Long is outstanding. I have five ranging from Tiger 1, Pnzer IV, Stug III, JagdPanther, and Panther. All are well detailed butlacking in some respects. Super detailing really makes an outstanding RC tank.

Now to the meat of my problem. When I began super detailing the STUG III it worked perfectly. I would test the tank from time to time. This past Winter has been pure hell. The tank became sluggish in movements. Now all I have is motor sound. Sometimes maching gun which hangs in firing position requiring total turning off. Nothing works as was last Fall. Does anyone have any suggestions what I can do to get the tank back to operating order?

Second problem is the Panther. I had to play with the on/off switch till it finally made contact and turned on the driving head light. Not blinking, steady on. No control of the tank whatever. Any suggestions as to what I can do to make it operate?

Thanks for your time and help.
MissMaggie is offline Find More Posts by MissMaggie
Old Jun 17, 2014, 06:41 PM
Joined Jun 2014
2 Posts
Hi friends . I need a help. Today I received my first tank Leopard 2A6 1/16 Heng Long. I moved the tower and she locked it and now do not know what to do. Mexi in the tower when the tank was off. Will someone help me?
agressor2010 is offline Find More Posts by agressor2010
Old Jun 17, 2014, 06:49 PM
Joined Jun 2014
2 Posts
i move the tower when the tank was off. Now the tower is stuck
agressor2010 is offline Find More Posts by agressor2010
Old Jun 18, 2014, 09:01 AM
I meant to do that!
United States, IN, West Terre Haute
Joined Apr 2007
1,204 Posts
Remove turret see whats goin on
Oracus is offline Find More Posts by Oracus
Old Jul 01, 2014, 06:43 PM
Joined Jul 2014
3 Posts
Steering

I recently purchased a heng long leopard 2a5 tank, and almost a week later, it seems to want to turn to the right all the time, I was driving on my back porch which has some rough, tilted bricks, the tank was moving fine before that, but after it encountered those bricks, it wants to turn to the right. I have opened it up, but can't see anything wrong. On top of this, it makes a strange ticking sound when the right motor is running. Please help.
Oddball98 is offline Find More Posts by Oddball98
Old Jul 02, 2014, 01:16 AM
NORDPAC S3
United States, OR, Estacada
Joined Jan 2009
1,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddball98 View Post
I recently purchased a heng long leopard 2a5 tank, and almost a week later, it seems to want to turn to the right all the time, I was driving on my back porch which has some rough, tilted bricks, the tank was moving fine before that, but after it encountered those bricks, it wants to turn to the right. I have opened it up, but can't see anything wrong. On top of this, it makes a strange ticking sound when the right motor is running. Please help.
1. Try adjusting the steering trim to see if that helps. (see manual)
2. You may have stripped a gear on the gearbox or motor pinion gear.

Mfpage
mfpage is offline Find More Posts by mfpage
Old Jul 02, 2014, 03:11 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,811 Posts
I wonder if you may have broken a tooth some how I have seen and hear that in the pass with those tanks. OR may have loosen something up in the tracks ? JUST somethings to look at . and some ideas to start with befor getting into it heavy ? I USE TO do repair work on some HL tanks and alot of home house tanks saw a lot of things and repiars. I allways look for the easy way until I found out what was going on with the tanks then took are of the problems . Yes I do agree with MFPage one some you can adjust stearing with your lower sliding adjuster if your radio has one some do some dont.
Rustbucket is offline Find More Posts by Rustbucket
Old Jul 02, 2014, 03:15 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,811 Posts
first thing I would do is make sure THE battery is fully charge . I have learn with an HL if you dont have a fuly charge battery you will have your share of problems for it has happen to in the pass. Just a sudjustion right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMaggie View Post
First off let me say that for the money Heng Long is outstanding. I have five ranging from Tiger 1, Pnzer IV, Stug III, JagdPanther, and Panther. All are well detailed butlacking in some respects. Super detailing really makes an outstanding RC tank.

Now to the meat of my problem. When I began super detailing the STUG III it worked perfectly. I would test the tank from time to time. This past Winter has been pure hell. The tank became sluggish in movements. Now all I have is motor sound. Sometimes maching gun which hangs in firing position requiring total turning off. Nothing works as was last Fall. Does anyone have any suggestions what I can do to get the tank back to operating order?

Second problem is the Panther. I had to play with the on/off switch till it finally made contact and turned on the driving head light. Not blinking, steady on. No control of the tank whatever. Any suggestions as to what I can do to make it operate?

Thanks for your time and help.
Rustbucket is offline Find More Posts by Rustbucket
Old Jul 02, 2014, 09:07 AM
Joined Jul 2014
3 Posts
First off, my tank doesn't have steering trim, which is honestly strange, I have four other rc vehicles (2 cars and 2 helicopters) and they all have trim, this is the first one without it It could be stripped gears, but I am unable to open the motor compartment fully to see, the only way to do that is to pry off the drive wheels, and through my experience in the past, if I force something off like that, it usually does not go back on the same way it did before, and thus does not work as well, making any repairs in vain.
Oddball98 is offline Find More Posts by Oddball98