HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2011, 10:51 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Nov 2006
1,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by catchthis View Post
Any of the makos that were built past the late 80's were built like garbage because tracker boats took over the company. Consider yourself lucky you didn't get one. Like you said key west boats are cheap, I didn't buy mine new because I just dont have the money but I find that a beautiful 1720 cc for 17,000 is a great deal. What key west did you get. P.S. My dad and uncle have also owned many mako's over the years. They are comfortably and can get you anywhere. I'm now in the market for a 1970's 21' sea craft to restore.
I have a 186 CC. It is a newer design. Key West is changing all their designs to accommodate 4 stroke engines. There was a little trouble with mounting 4 strokes on the older models. The heavier weight was pushing the drains below the water line and the boats always had a puddle on the rear deck. The boats were also having performance issues with getting on plane and porpoising at cruise speed. The transoms were raised another five inches and bulletproof scuppers where installed.
Actually, the new generation boats are much bigger. My boat is 8'6" wide and has a 25" shaft. It's pretty big for just a little 18 foot boat. The 24' and 26' are monsters. The newer designs have a very sharp bow with wide flairs for keeping you dry. It also looks really cool.
The core of the boat is built well and I'm happy how it holds up in rough water. The stainless steal hardware is top notch. The front Igloo cooler bench, Plastic cabinet doors, and standard access covers are right out of an Overton's catalog. These are cheap details, but for the sake of maintenance, they can be quickly replaced/repaired by the owner at a low price. I had to opt for the aluminum bench, because the standard seats were pretty cheap looking.
If you really want a little bit more luxury, you could go Whaler or Grady White, but it will drain the wallet. If you really need a Rolls Royce, go buy a Contender.
Tollytime is offline Find More Posts by Tollytime
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2011, 11:01 PM
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Jan 2006
595 Posts
Getting closer

Made some more progress on the hull.
Got the hull trimmed to correct size at transom, had to move the inner-most strakes as they looked off. Sprayed a light coat of white paint, it brings the gaps and bumps out more. Need to fill and sand. Hopefully pulling a mold within a couple of weeks, but we'll see
mitchlandry is online now Find More Posts by mitchlandry
Old Jul 06, 2011, 11:20 PM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jun 2008
1,399 Posts
your hard work.....worth every bead of sweat....nice job sofar!
igotit is offline Find More Posts by igotit
Old Jul 06, 2011, 11:27 PM
Joined Jan 2006
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by igotit View Post
your hard work.....worth every bead of sweat....nice job sofar!
Thanks, unfortunately, it's more sweat than work with this heat we are having.
BTW, what part of Louisiana are you in?
Old Jul 06, 2011, 11:33 PM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jun 2008
1,399 Posts
im in a small town called houma,35-40 miles south of new orleans.im just about on the gulf coast.
its hot here too...lol.
Old Jul 06, 2011, 11:40 PM
Joined Jan 2006
595 Posts
Yep, know right where it is, graduated from Patterson High school.
Old Jul 06, 2011, 11:49 PM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jun 2008
1,399 Posts
your name sounds like your from my part of town.....everytime i see your name....i think,i might know that guy....lol.
Old Jul 07, 2011, 06:55 AM
USA, FL, Middle Keys
Joined Sep 2010
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsenecal View Post
yeah, but is it UNDERPOWERED
Do they have boats in colorado?
finn is offline Find More Posts by finn
Old Jul 07, 2011, 07:49 AM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finn View Post
Do they have boats in colorado?
there are boats, but no lakes, only ponds... compared to what you guys have. and they freeze over the winter.

I grew up waterskiing behind a fiberform 17' tri-hull beast that had a mercury 150.

when i tell people i have lived in colorado my entire life, but i learned to waterski when i was 8, they generally ask "don't you mean snow-ski?"

i hate snow skiing.
tsenecal is online now Find More Posts by tsenecal
Old Jul 07, 2011, 09:13 AM
Joined Dec 2010
153 Posts
You should get k&b outboards and chuck them on the back and also you should make a trailer and make a cc01 f350 it would look awesome
rc_boat_lover is offline Find More Posts by rc_boat_lover
Old Jul 07, 2011, 09:33 AM
Joined Jan 2006
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_boat_lover View Post
You should get k&b outboards and chuck them on the back and also you should make a trailer and make a cc01 f350 it would look awesome
I actually have a 3.5cc K&B outboard, but want to go with electric for noise as i'm going to run in my neighborhood pond. Plus electric is a lot less maitenance.
Old Jul 07, 2011, 04:03 PM
Straight up is all I ask
Fairfield Ct USA
Joined Apr 2002
2,320 Posts
Yes the K&B outboards can wake the dead .

Nice job on your Mako . There are lots of those still around here .
jmolwitz is offline Find More Posts by jmolwitz
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:49 PM
Joined Jan 2006
595 Posts
Little more progress

Ok, made a little more progress on the hull plug. Now mounted to board to pull mold, but still have some touch up areas. Hoping within the next 2 weeks I can pull the mold, but with next 2 weekends already tied up, not sure it will happen.

Also, started playing with the t-top (needed something to do while stuff dries), anyhow, pics are of it just taped together for visuals. Need to tweek some of the rods prior to fastening. The top hoop is full circle, tried my hand at the alumi-weld sticks (brazing for alum.), but not to sure how the rest will fair. Really need to get a better torch, so i may just J-B weld the rest of the t-top. The console in the pics is the original foam console for spacing / placement. Still not sure if i'm going to use or just make a wooden console.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 06:33 AM
USA, FL, Middle Keys
Joined Sep 2010
96 Posts
mako

Hull looks right on, nice work. In florida most people have removed the bowrails so they can throw a net, if you left it off it would save a lot of work!
finn is offline Find More Posts by finn
Old Jul 26, 2011, 07:17 PM
Joined Jan 2006
595 Posts
Making progress, end is in sight