HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2008, 06:01 PM
Burlington, NJ USA
Joined Apr 2001
423 Posts
Discussion
How to repair Parkzone Foam?

Busted up my T-28 today, looks like I need to glue the fuse back together. What type of glue are you guys using for this, just straight epoxy, or would it be better to use something else?
bfaulguy is offline Find More Posts by bfaulguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2008, 07:15 PM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
I like Hot Glue personally. Cheap, dries quick, doesn't yellow and remains flexible.

Just got to make sure that it's not TO hot when you use it or it can melt the foam
UAVPilot is offline Find More Posts by UAVPilot
Old Sep 28, 2008, 07:49 PM
Long live the Nuge!!!
South Central......Kansas
Joined Oct 2007
1,467 Posts
Epoxy is a bit stronger, you could even use Gorilla glue (keep in mind Gorilla glue expands when curing)
skywarp1 is offline Find More Posts by skywarp1
Old Sep 28, 2008, 09:07 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Parkzone uses 2 types of foam....or so i have found. If it is the "EPP" Type(The kind that "Flex`s") then any CA Should do. I like using "Medium" myself. If it is EPS foam i use 5 min epoxy.

Regards
Mal
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old Sep 29, 2008, 12:15 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,933 Posts
I would use Gorilla Glue Fast Cure, to keep things simple. Only a small bead along the broken joints should do it. Try ot clamp it as tightly as possible, say with tape for about 10-15 minutes untill it dries enough. After an hour or so, you should be set.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Oct 02, 2008, 11:02 AM
Brisbane
Joined Oct 2008
27 Posts
I have a cessna skylark 182 (5 channel) that ate dirt, the wing has torn from the flap to about 1/2 way thru to the front of the wing, It will go back togeather but does take some flexing - it took a nose dive so it is bent as if the wing tips tried to touch the prop, (horizontally) any ideas on how to hold it in shape while the glue dries?

it only has a gap of about 4mm at it's widest point

It has no warps or twists, I was thinking once i replace the motor and prop, and fix the broken front wheel - just giving it a go as it is.

thoughts anyone? - O i'm a bit of a newbe to this unique sport.

(currently on the build of my 2nd aircraft which as i have discovered is a complete build - ARTF <-- yeah right after about 1 week solid work)
I have also discovered the actual plane itself is the cheap part, it's all the stuff that goes inside that is expensive!

T
jetGSR is offline Find More Posts by jetGSR
Last edited by jetGSR; Oct 02, 2008 at 11:07 AM. Reason: cant spell
Old Oct 02, 2008, 02:41 PM
Joined Jul 2008
75 Posts
Gorilla glue hands down.

Use the fast cure white if you can get it, if not use the standard brownish orange stuff.

A friend smashed his Stryker at like 80mph into the sidewalk after he got disoriented flying at dusk(i warned him!)..

His plane shattered into 3 peices from nose to tail, even across carbon rods..it was a pretty bad crash... He was going to call it done but i just got my first bottle of gorilla glue so decided to try it for some real tough applications. It works excellent, but you also have to put a bit of work into it. I generally apply the glue and get it all together and hold it in place myself for 20-30 minutes while i sit down and watch TV..by then its hard enough it holds itself in place. You can smash down the glue foam as it squishes out if you put too much, or just scrape it off. An hour or so later his plane was back together, and the next morning it was ready to fly.
Never just gorilla glue and leave it though unless you have some way of clamping it together tight, it will foam up and push apart.

Needless to say, we both think his plane is now better than stock! He has crashed it quite hard several times and the damn thing just wont break.

Oh and use gloves when using this stuff, its hardcore..i had the crap all over my fingertips for a good week and a half after fixing his plane. Gloves actually make it easy to apply, throw a bead down one side..wet the the other then use your fingers and smear the glue around to a thin coating and smash the two pieces together for awhile ...it wont ever break
arsenic0 is offline Find More Posts by arsenic0
Old Oct 02, 2008, 08:18 PM
Brisbane
Joined Oct 2008
27 Posts
Thanks I have used an upolstry glue (not on planes) that we used to call gorolla snot and that was sprayed out of a glue gun or manually scraped on, it is a much thicker version than the stuff that came with the new plane. (well i think it is the sameish)

Is gorilla glue like the glue that comes in the foam kits?

I'm going to a hobby shop here in Brisbane Australia today, I'll see if i get any strange looks when i ask for gorilla glue

thanks again - this forum has help me learn a lot! kudos to NOFLYZONE!

Troy from Aus
Last edited by jetGSR; Oct 03, 2008 at 01:35 AM. Reason: spelling again
Old Oct 11, 2008, 07:55 AM
Brisbane
Joined Oct 2008
27 Posts
just a quickie ... I got some strange looks when I asked for Gorilla Glue

needless to say they have NO Idea.

I did find some great 1 min Epoxy which is really about 20 secs and works great on the foam.

Troy
Old Oct 12, 2008, 08:28 AM
Darwin
Joined Aug 2002
701 Posts
Hi all.
Have any of you found out what this Gorila glue is yet OR Goop glue. Hear in Aussie that is....
Cheer's
PS One minute epoxy????????
CrocEnd is offline Find More Posts by CrocEnd
Old Oct 12, 2008, 08:57 AM
Maryland
Joined Jun 2003
157 Posts
Hot Glue hands down.

Repair and install everthing with it. Instant, no wait. Love the stuff.
loganz28 is offline Find More Posts by loganz28
Old Oct 12, 2008, 11:14 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,933 Posts
^FYI, Hot Glue adds much more weight then other fast glues, and can deform foam (yes, even with low temp glue)-and can flex up quite a bit in hotter wether(especially the low temp glue). I would only use it on EPP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocEnd
Hi all.
Have any of you found out what this Gorila glue is yet OR Goop glue. Hear in Aussie that is....
Cheer's
PS One minute epoxy????????
Lol, one minute epoxy

Gorilla Glue is just PolyUrethane glue- bit flexible, but is still strong.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Oct 12, 2008, 06:27 PM
Brisbane
Joined Oct 2008
27 Posts
yes 1 min epoxy .. works great foam safe but you need to be quick!!

I think it is a sellies product I'll check