SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 27, 2008, 08:01 PM
Joined May 2008
150 Posts
Discussion
transition from three to four channel

I have mastered my 3 ch trainer and I am ready to step up. With a budget in mind, what would you guys reccomend? I would prefer something a little on the quicker side but not uncontrollible.

thanks,

Pat
love2fish93 is offline Find More Posts by love2fish93
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2008, 08:04 PM
Epic Huckin'
Surrey, BC
Joined Jun 2007
2,388 Posts
what was your previous plane maby you can make it 4ch?. whats your budget btw?
paintball_kidz is offline Find More Posts by paintball_kidz
Old Sep 27, 2008, 08:08 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, OK, Henryetta
Joined Nov 2005
25,303 Posts
No doubt about it.

Mountain Models Tyro.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=Tyro

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Sep 27, 2008, 08:20 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
Whatever you choose, avoid the mountain models tyro
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Sep 27, 2008, 08:31 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,303 Posts
Tic has given up hating Zagis now and has chosen MM's Tyro? Wow, that's crazy stuff right there.

Frank
Old Sep 27, 2008, 08:34 PM
Joined May 2008
150 Posts
I have about $350-400 depending on this yrs report card. I had a hbz supercub and I would like to hand that plane down and start my sisters and dad in the sport.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 09:55 PM
Epic Huckin'
Surrey, BC
Joined Jun 2007
2,388 Posts
check out a http://parkzone.com/ plane they have very nice fliers
the t-28 is a good 4ch plane http://parkzone.com/Products/Default...ProdID=PKZ4400
paintball_kidz is offline Find More Posts by paintball_kidz
Old Sep 27, 2008, 10:07 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
I second the parkzone T-28!....
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Sep 28, 2008, 01:48 AM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murocflyer
Tic has given up hating Zagis now and has chosen MM's Tyro? Wow, that's crazy stuff right there.

Frank
OMG! Tic obviously has never flown a Tyro! I absolutely HATE it when people jump in and badmouth a plane they know nothing about!

love2fish93: add your location to your info so we know where you are. If you just happen to be in the Phoenix area we can hook up and I'll be happy to let you fly my Tyro 100 and my Tyro 150. That's all it'll take to hook you on either of these fine kits from Mountain Models .

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Sep 28, 2008, 02:11 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
I'll second turbojoes recommendations for picking a plane from Mountain Models. I'll also recommend Steven's Aero as an equally competent vendor and designer of fine planes.

The ParkZone T-28, at almost $360 is a fine plane, if all you are interested in is an overweight, overpriced, poorly flying plane. I have one, and can attest to the fact that anything from MM or SA will weigh 1/3 what the T-28 weighs, and will fly circles around the flying brick T-28.

Just my humble opinion...

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 28, 2008, 07:35 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25,303 Posts
And for some proof of what Chuck and Joe is saying about Mountain Models and Stevens Aero, have a look at this RCG Forum Thread. Clearly, MM and SA would not the #1 and #2 kit makers for no reason.

They both make fantastic kits. You will be very impressed with any of them.

Frank
Old Sep 28, 2008, 07:52 AM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
I'll second turbojoes recommendations for picking a plane from Mountain Models. I'll also recommend Steven's Aero as an equally competent vendor and designer of fine planes.
Absolutely agree with you on this one, Chuck

Quote:
The ParkZone T-28, at almost $360 is a fine plane, if all you are interested in is an overweight, overpriced, poorly flying plane. I have one, and can attest to the fact that anything from MM or SA will weigh 1/3 what the T-28 weighs, and will fly circles around the flying brick T-28.

Just my humble opinion...

Chuck
Sorry, but I have to disagree. I've used the parkzone T-28 as an aileron trainer for my three current flight students, and it has been and excellent (word I seldom use) transition plane for them. I do not like ARF/RTF planes, so it is not easy for me to say this, but both the parkzone T-28 and its cousin the parkzone F4U Corsair make very good aileron "trainers".
There are some definite issues with the parkzone T-28 RTF, but the plug-n-play version would suit anyone want to transition from 3-functions to 4-functions. The F4U comes with a decent radio and is a lot of fun to fly right of the box.
Neither is a brick, nor flies like a brick.
Like I said, I am a huge fan of Mountain Models and Steven's Aero kits, but these two parkzone planes are the best "foamie type" full bodied, looks like a plane, I've ever run across in almost 25+ years of exclusive electric flight flying.
You can learn more about my experiences with the parkzone T-28 here
http://homepage.mac.com/kmyersefo/t28/parkzonet28.htm

and here
http://homepage.mac.com/kmyersefo/ampoct08/ampoct08.htm

PS: I'll have my students up on the T-28 and their trainers at the PMAC field today, Sunday, Sept. 28, 2008 if you want to check them out and see how well this plane does work as an aileron trainer.
Ken Myers is online now Find More Posts by Ken Myers
Last edited by Ken Myers; Nov 17, 2008 at 08:45 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 08:46 AM
Joined May 2008
150 Posts
I am near detroit michigan and there are not many fields around me that others fly in. If anyone does though, please let me know i would love to watch. I have been looking at the t28 and f4u corsair for a while now and i am torn between the two.

thanks for the help,

Pat
Old Sep 28, 2008, 12:58 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,963 Posts
I also disagree with NoFlyZone. The Park Zone T-28 makes an EXCELLENT second plane. It is by no means a brick, and the stock system has plenty of power for sport flying when the time comes.

Not sure why people try to direct beginners towards kit planes, even if they are a joy to assemble. Most beginners just want to get out and fly not spend a few days building a plane that might not come out correctly.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Sep 28, 2008, 01:15 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
Not sure why people try to direct beginners towards kit planes, even if they are a joy to assemble. Most beginners just want to get out and fly not spend a few days building a plane that might not come out correctly.
Here's MY disagreement. Building a Mountain Models kit ASSURES it WILL come out correctly. If you never plan to fly anying but foam bARF's then that's fine. If you want to build something and have the pride that comes with saying you built it yourself then Mountain Models is the way to go. You get an idea of how things really need to be done during a build and it prepares you for when you pick up one of those less than well engineered (but cool scale) kits from the 60's-80's. You'll be able to build a kit looking only at the plans and in some cases just the parts themselves. I like to learn something from this hobby. Just flying a beer cooler isn't enough for me.

Flame retardant suit ON!

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe