SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 14, 2003, 01:23 PM
N.Y.
Joined Jan 2003
892 Posts
Question
DC battery charger hook up.

I am looking at chargers that also discharge. I see that they are all DC only though. My question is; could I hook up a DC charger to a 12volt model train transformer for inside use rather than having to go by a deep cycle battery? Thanks.
MAKODS is offline Find More Posts by MAKODS
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2003, 03:25 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
If the model train transformer can provide a regulated, stable 12V DC output under several amps load, yes.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Feb 14, 2003, 07:36 PM
N.Y.
Joined Jan 2003
892 Posts
Thankyou, I was hoping the answer was yes!!
Old Feb 14, 2003, 09:27 PM
EFlight=Fun,Big-T=BIG FUN
San Antonio, TX, USA
Joined Jan 2001
964 Posts
WHOA! HOLD IT!
Most train power packs do NOT have a regulated output for the throttle and the Accesory outputs are usually limited DC or AC only. Check the train power pack carefully.

Does it have an output (usually accesories) OTHER than the throttle? Is this output DC? What is its rating in Volts, Amps or VA?
It is NOT recommended to use the throttle output - the volts is variable and is typicaly NOT regulated - as load varies, so does the volts - this is part of the reason trains slow down on an upgrade.
A rating of 100VA for the pack with 12V DC output sounds good BUT... 100VA/12V=8.3Amps absolute MAXIMUM output - and most packs can NOT do that on the accessory output - they will fry themselves. Most train packs only offer 10VA to maybe 30VA, seldom more.

There are some large capacity power packs (our club uses a 20A, 12V DC supply for the LARGE layout) and some DCC (Digital Command Control) packs offer 5A or 8A outputs. These tend to be pricey.

A good 12V supply can be made from an old PC power supply - search Ezone. These power supplies are readily available - often free ofot the asking (want the old AT type, not the ATX type) Also Radio Shack has a GREAT deal on for a 25A 13,8V (car battery voltage) power supply for $60.
Bernard "Crash" Siegel
AMA, San Antonio Prop Buster
NMRA, San Antonio N-Track Model Railroad Assocation
bjsiegel@texas.net is offline Find More Posts by bjsiegel@texas.net
Old Feb 14, 2003, 10:43 PM
N.Y.
Joined Jan 2003
892 Posts
I guess I will probably use the deep cycle battery that I use for my trolling motor then. Thanks.