HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2009, 12:40 PM
McFarland, WI
Joined Jan 2004
73 Posts
Can you send me a link to find the Fiddlers Green Plans? Your B-17's look awesome!

I just did a B-24 - "Lil Libby" from Bluswede Areo http://bluswede.com/Models.html. 19 3/4" span. It was originally designed to be flown with proportional Thrust airhog set-up. I built it with 4 counter rotating airhog props and motors. Wired the outboard and inboard motors in series and then in parallel. Aileron/Elevator with 2 2.5 Bluebird servos, pixie 7p and an AR6300 nano receiver and a Thunderpower 7.4 250 MA Pack - Test flew it last Friday - 2.2 oz aup so it is obviously way too fast but it flew!! Waiting for pictures from a friend to post.
dgrush is offline Find More Posts by dgrush
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2009, 01:23 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,349 Posts
www.fiddlersgreen.net you need to buy the plans.. it`s well worth it and we want to support the people who create these nice models !!
meatbomber is online now Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Jan 05, 2009, 01:39 PM
McFarland, WI
Joined Jan 2004
73 Posts
Thanks for the quick responce!
Old Jan 16, 2009, 10:07 AM
McFarland, WI
Joined Jan 2004
73 Posts
Lil B24 picture and Durabatics foam ?

Here is a picture of the "lil Libby" I took the two airhog batteries and made them into a 7.4 pack. Could not read how many Mahs they are, but it took the weight from 2.2 oz to 1.8 oz. Have not had a chance to fly it with the new pack yet - hopefully I will be able to slow down from supersonic!

I see you talk about durobatics foam - I am not familiar with this, is there a vendor or more info you can give me. The B-24 kit is out of pink insulation foam. I also use Depron but did not know if that was the same as the Durabatics??

Thanks ,
Dave
Old Jan 16, 2009, 10:53 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,349 Posts
Nice Lib

Durobatics is quite teh same as Depron but sliced so it has the skin (heavy) only on one side and therfor is VERY VERY light. it also bends better around tight radiuses without wrinkling as it doesn`t need to compress thr skin on one side.

you can get it from www.durobatics.com. if you build from thr Large Fiddlers green plans without enlarging them further you`ll get 26-28in models from thé B17 and they also have a VERY VERY nice B-24 and you`ll need probably like 6-7 sheets of durobatics.

which i`m contemplating of building actually Either with differential thrust for rudder with a Blade MCX brick or with a new Minium AD brick from the Piper i just got today
Old Jan 16, 2009, 11:00 AM
McFarland, WI
Joined Jan 2004
73 Posts
Thanks for the info and compliment on the Lil Lib - although it can't hold a candle to how cool your B-17 and your freinds the B-24!!

I also took your puddle twin plans and on a bet from one of the guys in our club, slapped one together in 2 hours! Had some Black depron laying around - its about a 24" span with two direct drive GWS 180 motors. Aileron, Elevator, Rudder. The thing is just a hoot off the water, its so light it doesn't care about the choppy water - it just pops into the air! When I flew it at our club float fly last summer, guys were just amazed at what it would do and how it handled the wind and choppy water.

Thanks again,
Dave
Old Feb 07, 2009, 05:20 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,349 Posts
Har that B-24 pic is from the Fiddlersgreen website! It`s just to show that they have a really nice Lib there too I have the plan but not yet got around finishing the other projects i have lying around.

i`ve finally got a few more flying photos of my Memphis Belle.

Please excuse the nose glazing hanging loose, the dab of uhu-por just wouldn`t hold on to it anymore as it was -17°C

Here goes:

There is actually a video of that flying session where you can see my B17 fly, the AN-2 the Walrus and the DC-3 as well as a lot of other from the other modellers on the field in Tocna near Prague.

Video here: http://www.modelari-tocna.cz/view.php?_id=545&posid=403

The Akkus where not really up tho those tems so flying was in general VERY short for the small models and power was quite a bit lower than usual...

cheers
MB
Last edited by meatbomber; Feb 07, 2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2009, 07:23 PM
Wyomissing PA
Joined Aug 2003
516 Posts
Finally starting B17 MKll.....

..this one is 32.5 inch span. Just between yours and my first at 27 inches.

I will be able to use full size Citabria props on this and plan on a single cell 250mah size lipo for longer flight time.

I'll keep you posted on progress.

There is an article about these fiddlersgreen models and me in the Winter edition of Park Pilot magazine. It's an AMA publication.
Dennis A is offline Find More Posts by Dennis A
Old Feb 07, 2009, 11:19 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Jul 2007
155 Posts
B-17

MB,
Awesome shots in the winter playground. The fortress looks really sweet, a real credit to you.

Dennis,
I like the way yours is shaping up to, will there be a build log?

Trackerman
Trackerman is offline Find More Posts by Trackerman
Old Feb 08, 2009, 02:36 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,349 Posts
Dennis, i think you have nailed the right size for this bird ! She'll be lightly wingloaded and still have not so much drag and weight as to be a dog.
And with the new 5 channel apor bricks one might still add ailerons and more bomb drop? Flaps? retracts ? so many options
Looking great how its coming along did you decide on a paint scheme yet ?

Thanks for your praise Trackerman i have been hunting for carrier based non fighter or FB planes and i found a Greyhound, Hawkeye and guess what a tracker too babscardmodels has a military and a firefighter version of the Tracker if you`re interested

Old Feb 08, 2009, 09:36 AM
Wyomissing PA
Joined Aug 2003
516 Posts
Build log...

..not a complete build log per se, but I'll update pics and progress.

To a point all these planes are constructed similiarly. It is arranging radio gear, motors and finding proper CG that is sometimes troublesome.
Dennis A is offline Find More Posts by Dennis A
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:20 PM
Who dares, wins
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Jun 2012
687 Posts
How did you wire up the motors to the brick? did you use a seperate ESC?
addictedtoplanes is online now Find More Posts by addictedtoplanes
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:14 AM
Joined Apr 2012
325 Posts
This plane is amazing!
minimicrorc is offline Find More Posts by minimicrorc
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:18 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,349 Posts
@addicted,

Engines are all in parallell. The brick can handle it just fine, the only problem was at that time when i built it (damn is that 4 years ago already !?) the akkus had a realy hard time with it, as teh largest where the 110mAh from Esky and it was winter (cold akkus) too.
If done again at that size i would recommend going for:
a) a spektrum brick instead of the minium (lots of damage to teh planes from loss of signal with teh crappy little remote)
b)Motors from the Mosquito etc, newer warbirds as they are all larger than the origina minium series i used then.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:14 AM
Who dares, wins
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Jun 2012
687 Posts
Ok, thanks
addictedtoplanes is online now Find More Posts by addictedtoplanes