HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2008, 04:28 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
i`ve also have a Microlight spectrum RX coming my way so as a backup plan to the minium equipment i can go to 2 - 4 ea 2,5g Servos and a single brushed esc for a 2S 150mAh pack...
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2008, 09:47 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
some more slow progress...
Old Oct 16, 2008, 12:52 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
wing center sections.. the fuselage is closed up now, i`ve decided to go to pull pull controls with thin fishing line because i can`t really afford any more weight in the back .. its liding really well already with only the center sections on

The brick will have to go all the way in the nose and the battery too. i hope that will be sufficent to get teh CG right
Old Oct 17, 2008, 12:55 AM
Like a Boss
Canada, BC, Whistler
Joined Jun 2006
2,130 Posts
it looks really good! you should try one in 1/72 scale..... using piccoz motors...

ive been thinking of doing a multi engine bomber in 1/72 scale for awhile now...
Heliman420 is offline Find More Posts by Heliman420
Old Oct 17, 2008, 09:22 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
actually this is a bit too big to classify as a micro

i'd be tempted to build it 1/3rd smaller but for 1/72 scale i lack the experience with really small stuff and the suitable electronics.
I think it could work tho... especially the B17 as the smaller the scale the heavier the motors in comparison to the airframe and so it should be possible to get the CG working without extra weight.. and it will still have a huge wing
Old Oct 17, 2008, 04:21 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,648 Posts
My Fiddler's Green Cub

I have not yet created the floats for my cub but am looking forward to the final outcome. Has anyone made the floats yet? I am having trouble with them...on my second sheet now!
I used a section of a scewer to help form the airfoil of my wing. I've also used a piece to add structural integrity of the fuselage. It has a 3.8" wingspan. Talk about SMALL!
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Old Oct 20, 2008, 10:37 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
she`s going to be HUGE for a micro

All up weight with all the components and about 6ft of wires , a bigger battery, the 4 motors, props and brick is 68g or 2,3oz

that´s missing teh landing gear now... but then i don`t know if i`ll make that .. so i`m guess the target weight just went up to 75g including paint and the missing turrets.

man i can`t wait to get her into the air!
Old Oct 20, 2008, 02:52 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,648 Posts
Looks good. I'll be watching closely!
Old Oct 20, 2008, 05:02 PM
Wyomissing PA
Joined Aug 2003
516 Posts
...b17

...a lot more than this 1.7 oz 26 inch B17
Dennis A is offline Find More Posts by Dennis A
Old Oct 20, 2008, 05:07 PM
The ceiling is the limit!
South of England
Joined Aug 2004
1,237 Posts
Meatbomber and Dennis,

You guys rock! The planes you are building at the moment are just fantastic. I have spent my evening reading both your threads and posts about these planes and have got the urge to build a DH rapide. Should be an interesting build.

thanks

Alex
micromad is offline Find More Posts by micromad
Old Oct 20, 2008, 05:08 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,648 Posts
WOW! That looks awesome. Landing gear?
Old Oct 21, 2008, 12:30 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
Stop teasing me with your working fort Denis i think you got the size right for the brick, when i think of all the weight that's going to be added until she flies i`m a bit worried tha the brick won't be able to handle the current.. we shall see soon

Micromad thanks for your praise but our models are still about a light year awa frm your 1,6g spitfire!! The DH Rapide is going to look great when you decide to build it i'm sure, and i can`t wait to see a 1/72 scale DC-3 or other twin take to the skies at 3.5g
Old Oct 21, 2008, 02:14 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
CG estimation in progress... right now i can get the CG correct with the brick and a 140mAh lipo all the way in front in the nose.
so no pushrods on this plane but pull-pull fishing line the ball turrent will have to be light too ... i can probably offset the ball turret weight with the wheels.. i`m still debating with myselfe if i`m going to add an extended landing gear or just wheels to the wheel wells for belly landings.
Last edited by meatbomber; Oct 21, 2008 at 03:00 AM. Reason: awefull spelling / typing
Old Oct 21, 2008, 03:06 AM
The ceiling is the limit!
South of England
Joined Aug 2004
1,237 Posts
Meatbomber,

You are too kind really! Ive been thinking that yuou should use a full river 200mah. Its 1.3grams heavier than the 140mah so will help with cg and give a longer duration time.

Alex
micromad is offline Find More Posts by micromad
Old Oct 21, 2008, 03:54 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
the limiting factor wuill be he brick in this case i think... i'll have to use full size props on this one not cut back as on the DC-6 so ́'m a bit unsure wether or not i'll fry the internal ESC. as a bandaid if she cuts out too much or too early due to ESC over heating i could use a second brick just to power 2 of the motors... we'll see as soon as i have all the wiring in (DOH why do i allways do that AFTER i've built up eh wing when it`s more difficult than when it's still open ?)
The DC-6 flies for a good 7-8mins on a 70mAh pack so i guess teh runtime won't be an issue with the 140 cell.. i`ll be happy with 5 mins