Old Sep 26, 2008, 10:35 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,351 Posts
Build Log
37in B-17F Flying Fortress from Fiddlers Green Plan

Hello Guys.

i`ve had the templates for the Fiddlers Green B-17 lying around for quite a while and now i`ve finaly started cutting and glueing.

i thought she would be smaller but when i layed out all the pices on the table i found out she`s H U G E a whopping 37in wingspan. DennisA i finally figured how you build your planes so light.. they are 25% smaller than mine as i printed this plan from the large sheets and enlarged them to 149%!

Oh well.. if she`s going to be too heavy i`ll build it at the plans 25in size.

The Plan is to stay with a weight of approximately 55-60g and fly it on the minium brick with 4 stock motors but a 150mAh cell. The RC for that weights 19g with no cables.. so add about 2 g for cables we wil be at 21g leaving 34g-39g for the airplane... we`ll see

right now the Fuselage weights in at 11g she might not be micro anymore but i`m hoping for a good indoor bird.
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2008, 10:45 AM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,509 Posts
This One I Gotta See!!!
mike3976 is offline Find More Posts by mike3976
Old Sep 26, 2008, 02:58 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
2,307 Posts
How do you trace those panel lines?

Interesting project and most definately a light model if it works out the way you plan.
RNAF is offline Find More Posts by RNAF
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2008, 03:46 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,351 Posts
just layed the flat pieces after cutting over the templates and traced the lines through the durobatics. Don`t use too much time on that thou.. the lines don`t match up very well after forming the fuselage.. they are more of a guide i guess for later when i spray the plane... some of them you definitely need, like where the wing to body fairings go as well as the windows etc. for cutting out.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 04:12 PM
foamanologist
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Apr 2006
938 Posts
WOW!!! You guys spend a small fortune on the foam.........need some stock options!!
customminatures is offline Find More Posts by customminatures
Last edited by customminatures; Sep 26, 2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 04:29 PM
Wyomissing PA
Joined Aug 2003
516 Posts
Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3976
This One I Gotta See!!!
Well here's one!
Dennis A is offline Find More Posts by Dennis A
Old Sep 26, 2008, 04:41 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,351 Posts
true.. this bird is eating through my foam reserves like crazy!!!

little progress... i was trying to get the most out of a plate of foam when i made the vertical stabilizer and promptly made 2 of teh same side... so to have "skin" on both sides i had to make another one... of course i the glueing together and i had just wasted 3 times the foam i would have needed... DOH

Oh well at least she has a stab now.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 04:43 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,351 Posts
dennis i`m asking myselfe why i didn`t stick to the more sane size you built!! how was it CG wise with yours ? the 17 has an awfully short nose and a LOT of fuse and stabilizers in the back... and we don`t use those heavy engines to ballance all out
Old Sep 26, 2008, 07:26 PM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A
Well here's one!
That is just Too Cool Are you using Minimum equipment?
mike3976 is offline Find More Posts by mike3976
Old Sep 27, 2008, 03:13 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,351 Posts
yes he is this is an awesome example what`s possible with durobatics and paper plans! 1,7Oz AUW and 25in span very nice indeed.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 07:31 AM
Wyomissing PA
Joined Aug 2003
516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatbomber
dennis i`m asking myselfe why i didn`t stick to the more sane size you built!! how was it CG wise with yours ? the 17 has an awfully short nose and a LOT of fuse and stabilizers in the back... and we don`t use those heavy engines to ballance all out
My gear is at the leading edge of wing and the battery is way forward..almost becomes slightly nose heavy to fly right.

I'm not convinced the 37" span will have enough power, though you may not have to cut down props...but then battery drain may be an issue.

Good Luck Meatbomber...ain't these things addictive.
Dennis A is offline Find More Posts by Dennis A
Old Sep 27, 2008, 08:09 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,351 Posts
Thanks dennis, I had a look, props can stay stock so power should be adequate.. not stelar but should fly scaleish...
As for the battery i`m going to use a 150mAh Cell, it`s 2g heavier than teh stock akku, so should serve as a good nose weight and it should be able to handle double the amperage..
What is still to be seen is if the brick can handle 4 full size props without burning up.
The plane is sop large that i`ll install pull-pull controls again, that should save me some weight in comparison with control rods.

but i`m also cutting the original size templates to build a smaller one if all else fails
Old Sep 27, 2008, 02:50 PM
mel gibson?
Joined Apr 2008
197 Posts
wow this will be a beast.
HPIAdam is offline Find More Posts by HPIAdam
Old Sep 27, 2008, 04:11 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,351 Posts
i`m actually asking myselfe if i shouldn`t put "normal" micro servos in it and a normal small brushed ESC and RX... the normal 25in size of the minium brick. we`ll see.. first i`ll have to complete the structure didn`t do anything with it today but next week i`ll have some more time to work on it.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 04:15 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,351 Posts
Some slow progress... tomorrow tailplane and wing.
She`s starting to pick up some weight now the next few operations are going to go trhough my durobatics reserves like a hot knife through butter !!

The Tail turret is a nice feature stabilizing the tail in place.

next planes i`ll build i`ll make a marking on the opposit side of the seam, a spine so to say to allign the parts, if you go by the seam you`ll get twists due to the fact that the material is thicker than card stock... oh well lesson learned