HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2008, 09:39 AM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Discussion
Eflite Hawker Sea Fury Questions

I am on the verge of getting one of these!! I would be extremely grateful for answers to any of the following questions:

1.) How would you rate the build for difficulty? How does it compare to a GWS warbird kit?

2.) Are there any problems with the instructions...or any steps that should be ignored or modified? (recalling problems with the Eflite P-38).. .

3.) I have a fresh Park480 to drop in this thing...will that motor produce some decent speed? Which prop should I run for best speed performance on 3s? I have plenty of planes with unlimited vertical...I think a Sea Fury should be FAST.

4.) I love the retracts and plan to build them in...but I have heard rumblings that they're not suitable for grass runways..and they can break... is that right? Can you install them and still safely belly land this plane?

5.) Do you like yours? What do you like or dislike about the kit?

Thanks, guys!!
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2008, 11:08 AM
100% addicted to RC :)
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
My buddy has one of these and its nice. A little small for my personal liking but a good plane.

It will be an easy build. Putting togather an ARF foam warbird really doesn't differ much, cept the E Flite will be more complete (fuse is one piece, wings one piece, prepainted, ETC)

I suggest your read the manual online over at eflite and that way you can check out how they build it and things like that.

480 will be good. It will be fast. I don't know what prop my friend has on his, but its quick. You'll want something like a 10x8 or something.

Most retracts for planes this size can't handle grass. They have to keep the retracts light because the plane itself is small and light. The planes retracts use two servos to operate which (IMO) is a downside to the plane. If the gears are up though, you should have no problem belly landing on grass.

Only dislike I heard from his are those cheap belly pan covers that never stick. No surprise there from E Flite.
finchkid24 is offline Find More Posts by finchkid24
Old Sep 26, 2008, 11:34 AM
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finchkid24
My buddy has one of these and its nice. A little small for my personal liking but a good plane.

It will be an easy build. Putting togather an ARF foam warbird really doesn't differ much, cept the E Flite will be more complete (fuse is one piece, wings one piece, prepainted, ETC)

I suggest your read the manual online over at eflite and that way you can check out how they build it and things like that.

480 will be good. It will be fast. I don't know what prop my friend has on his, but its quick. You'll want something like a 10x8 or something.

Most retracts for planes this size can't handle grass. They have to keep the retracts light because the plane itself is small and light. The planes retracts use two servos to operate which (IMO) is a downside to the plane. If the gears are up though, you should have no problem belly landing on grass.

Only dislike I heard from his are those cheap belly pan covers that never stick. No surprise there from E Flite.
Thanks, Finch! Great info.

Great suggestion about reading the manual on line... I should have thought of that!! :O

Any other opinions on the plane would be welcome!
Old Sep 26, 2008, 01:47 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2 Posts
I like mine a lot, though my son is actually flying it.

Negatives : cheap belly pans that don't stick. I just taped mine at the edges but this pulls the paint off if it comes loose. I also put some vecro in places but that raises the edge too much IMO.

retracts are cool and work fine on short grass. The retracts have withstood grass landings, but the small wheels lead to nose overs unless the grass is very short. Also have had to hold the plane, power up, and then start take-off roll to avoid nose overs. Up elevator from stop is not enough on our field. Only complaint there is that I have had trouble adjusting endpoints so servo is not straining. I adjust it, but after a couple of cycles it again tries to move farther in one of the positions. Annoying!

Positives : assembly went smoothly. I didn't even break anything during assembly - for me and a foam plane, that is a good sign! I added the rudder.

looks great in the air. I haven't gone with the 5 bladed prop, but am thinking about it.

I have the Park 480 with an external BEC as suggested in the manual. Not sure it was needed, but it has worked well. It flies very scale like.
jlimey is offline Find More Posts by jlimey
Old Sep 26, 2008, 02:55 PM
Joined Mar 2008
138 Posts
sea fury

the build on this plane is very, very easy.
a 480 and 10x7 prop will leave it a proper screamer.

and as much as i love retracts, they simply are not worth the trouble. unless you have a smooth landing strip, they will rip themselves from the foam after a few landings.

mine was assembled with the KISS principle.....ailerons and elevator only.

there's less to worry about, less to break which equals more air time.
ltbidrawn is offline Find More Posts by ltbidrawn
Old Sep 26, 2008, 05:18 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
I would add the rudder. warbirds fly much better with a rudder.
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Old Sep 26, 2008, 07:24 PM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,438 Posts
Smoke, I am in the middle of doing a major conversion on one of these. My only real complaint is that Eflite's QC is non-existent. Check every single glue joint. My wing spar popped out when I tugged on it, my fuse had huge gaps where it hadn't been glued and a lot of folks complain that the motor stick has pulled out after a couple of flights and at least one guy had an aileron come loose in flight. Epoxy for the spar, gorilla glue for the fuse and motor mounts. Don't talk anything for granted. I am going with retracts, flaps and rudder. Nicely designed kit, looks great right out of the box and by all reports flies like a dream. Btw Manzano laser works sells a 5-blade hub that takes FSK 9 x 7 blades. Really looks and sounds cool. I am using the one from my recently departed TT Sea Fury for this one.

HTH,
Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Sep 27, 2008, 10:03 AM
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
You guys are the best. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences!!

What is the most popular solution to the belly pan issue?

How does the foam hold up to belly landings on grass?

Itbidrawn,
I usually go with your approach (simpler = better) but I have enough of those in my hangar. I'm going all out on this one.

jhspring,
This is a great tip...and I might have just trusted their QC had you not mentioned this. Thanks. I'll check/reinforce as necessary.

I saw that 5-blad hub! Thanks...now I know where they come from. I'm definitely going to try that. Does it work with the stock spinner?
Old Sep 27, 2008, 10:24 AM
Oh no, not again!
Joined Dec 2005
5,438 Posts
Charlie sells the hub kit and spinner as a package. The blades are FSK from Hobby Lobby. Takes maybe an hour total to assemble the hub and make the spinner cut-outs, less if you have fewer thumbs than I.

The only complaint I have ever heard about the plane (other than QC issues) is that some folks have trouble with the rudder coupling, that they have a strong rudder-induced pitch coupling. Most folks don't see that, and as far as I know, nobody has explained it. Seems to be a very minor vice.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old Sep 27, 2008, 10:37 AM
United Kingdom, England, Northd
Joined Nov 2005
917 Posts
Hi Smoke, I have 170+ flights on my SF, mostly flown off the beach which is nice and smooth but I have quite a few sorties off long grass. Hand launching is a doddle with this plane and belly landings are a sinch. I stuck my belly pan down with UHU-POR, which makes for easy removal if neccassary, I also removed the velcro pads as these seem to be too thick and stop you from getting a flush fit. I have fitted a FSK 4 bladed hub and a 2.25 spinner with two extra slots cut for the extra two blades. These blades distort madly when in a bit of a dive, but this gives it an amazing howl that just has to be heard.

Simon.
simonslim is offline Find More Posts by simonslim
Old Sep 28, 2008, 10:10 AM
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Great stuff, guys.. thanks to all of you.

I picked up my kit and I'm very surprised at how mush has been done on it already... the paint on the pilot is very nice.

I can see the issue with the belly pan already....definitely going with the UHU POR.. thanks, simonslim.

More to come!

Is it possible to set up these retracts without a computer radio?
Old Sep 29, 2008, 08:15 AM
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Hey, Guys..

I was just tying to mount the Park480 on the mount that comes with the kit and the motor doesn't fit!! What gives?

There is a collar that holds the motor shaft in place that sticks out on the "back" of the motor (the side that the screws go into) that prevents the motor from sitting flush against the mount. I enlarged the hole in the center of the mount to no avail...

What am I missing?
Old Sep 29, 2008, 09:07 AM
Oh no, not again!
Joined Dec 2005
5,438 Posts
The motor mount should come with a set of 4 aluminum stand-offs (shims) about 1/8" long. They go between the mount and the motor to give you clearance. Here's a pic from the P-38 manual.

HTH,
Jeff
Old Sep 29, 2008, 12:37 PM
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhspring
The motor mount should come with a set of 4 aluminum stand-offs (shims) about 1/8" long. They go between the mount and the motor to give you clearance. Here's a pic from the P-38 manual.

HTH,
Jeff

Sure enough... they're in there!

Thanks, Jeff.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 01:57 PM
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK
Joined Jan 2007
3,186 Posts
Hi Smoke.

I made a few cuts to the belly pan to make accessing the retracts. I have had to take them out to tighten the set screw a couple of times.
Paul@SCC is offline Find More Posts by Paul@SCC