HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2008, 10:53 AM
Like a boss!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Sep 2007
1,755 Posts
Discussion
3DHS 87" Extra SHP

Now that this plane is finally out and in the hands of many a satisfied customer (myself included) I thought that it was worthy of having a new thread to be a great resource for those considering, building, trimming, and flying the plane (and, of course, sharing lots of pics and video). Although the old thread was in the "Giant Electric Planes" section and this plane definitely qualifies as a giant (people at the field can't even believe that I'm powering it with a 50cc instead of an 80 or a 100), I personally got tired of having to check two places so I'm putting it in the 3D category (and the plane definitely qualifies there, as well) so that it can live with all of it's smaller 3DHS siblings. Also, "Giant Scale Electrics" sounds a bit like an intimidating and exclusive club to me and, truthfully, this plane is the easiest and most logical step up into the giant scale world for those flying smaller electrics regardless of the power system that they may choose for the plane. Trust me, when I bought my 47" SHP a year ago I never dreamed I'd be ordering a 87" gas powered monster (and, of course, there's a 55" SHP hanging on my wall) in the very near future.

That being said, there is a great thread in the G.S.E. section on power systems for Giant Scale electrics which is becoming an excellent resource and is the appropriate place to discuss the numerous electric power systems that will work in this plane. For us gassers, FlyingGiants.com has about 168 different threads on using a DL-50 or a DA-50. Inevitably, these threads often turn into passionate debate and, usually, fiery rants and name-calling that quickly becomes very boring for those of us who want to discuss the airplane itself and have a valuable and easy to use resource for all other aspects of the plane. Therefore, I encourage those who wish to partake in such passionate power system debate or perhaps try their hand at a fiery rant to do so in the appropriate threads.

This plane is my first giant scale airplane and my first gas airplane and the build, trim, and flying has been as smooth and enjoyable as possible. I'll post more pics and flight reports soon (and hopefully you all will, as well) but in the meantime, here's a great photo of the plane being flown by it's designer Scott Stoops (photo by David Mielke). It's almost a shame that there was no video of that flight . . .
AllBread is offline Find More Posts by AllBread
Last edited by AllBread; Sep 25, 2008 at 02:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:03 AM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
Checking in! .
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:08 AM
Like a boss!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Sep 2007
1,755 Posts
Here's the link to the power systems thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=924189

To those who want to discuss gas engines, I recommend grabbing your battle ax and heading over to Flyinggiants.com for some weed trimming. While you're there, please start a thread titled, "SFG's KICK A$S!" and report back here as to how it went.

Speaking of Flying Giants, here's a great build thread that Scott did and will be of particular interest for those going gas engine and cannister (of course, 90% of the build thread will be usefull to people going electric, as well).

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/f...extra-shp.html
AllBread is offline Find More Posts by AllBread
Last edited by AllBread; Sep 25, 2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:14 AM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
lol... let me add that basic engine disucssions are welcome, but if you're starting to go with the "DA is better than DL" or one of those other statements to not post it here .

FWIW, I love my SHP while I had it... alas, it was taken away early on.

...But... I got a good trade for it though .

Here's my videos

87" SHP - VIDEO #1 - Maiden Flight Uncut

87" SHP - VIDEO #2 - DURABILITY TESTING

87" SHP - VIDEO #3 - Precision Flight

87" SHP - VIDEO #4 - Arizona Electric Festival

87" SHP - VIDEO #5 - My Savior

87" SHP - VIDEO #6 - Beautiful Name

87" SHP - VIDEO #7 - SURPRISE ENDING

87" SHP - VIDEO #8 - I Can Only Imagine

87" SHP - VIDEO #9 - Live it OUT!

87" SHP - VIDEO #10 - In Wonder!

87" SHP - VIDEO #11

87" SHP - VIDEO #12

87" SHP - VIDEO #13

87" SHP - VIDEO #14 - Call My Name

87" SHP - VIDEO #15 - Tail Dipping Huckin' Madness
Last edited by BoneDoc; Mar 25, 2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:28 AM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Resouces and Stuff

Instruction manual in .pdf form

Videos:

Me flying the "Darth Vader" #001 airplane on 3700W electric.

Scott Stoops flies the 87" on DL-50CC gas engine.

Multiple pilots fly the 87" in Arizona.

BoneDoc flies the Extra.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Last edited by blucor basher; Sep 25, 2008 at 11:34 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:29 AM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Reserve d
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:42 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,170 Posts
wow thats a purty plane!! subscibed
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:53 AM
I used to be all thumbs...
United States, KS, Pittsburg
Joined Mar 2005
7,061 Posts
Thanks for starting the new thread AllBread!!!
NumbSkull is offline Find More Posts by NumbSkull
Old Sep 25, 2008, 12:12 PM
Guerilla Huck Power..activate!
Round Rock, TX
Joined May 2004
2,052 Posts
Bigger is Better.
smelyal8r is offline Find More Posts by smelyal8r
Old Sep 25, 2008, 12:12 PM
flying yellow and black
Co Spgs, CO
Joined May 2008
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBread
"SFG's KICK A$S!"
I love SFG's. I get right on this one!
Angry Hornet is offline Find More Posts by Angry Hornet
Old Sep 25, 2008, 02:41 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,170 Posts
woa joshs video 7 surprise ending!! made yur heart flutter a bit..yes?? mine did just watching it.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Sep 25, 2008, 03:06 PM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
Not mine . It flies just as well with one elevator. The only thing I noticed was, "How come I'm not having as much pitch authority?" .
Old Sep 25, 2008, 03:29 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Oct 2007
2,221 Posts
Stopped by a local flying club today and brought my SR and 87SHP.

I was considering joining, but it turns out they do not have electric power for charging. So, I will just get the equivalent of an AMA membership so I can fly in competitions.

Anyway, since I was already there, I took out the SR and flew a couple of packs. There where not too many people, but they where impressed by the little thing flying both precision and 3D. 3D was not common there, so that caught their attention.

Someone noticed the 87 SHP in my car and asked if I could take it out for a flight so that they could see it. I assembled the plane with batteries and put on the canopy.

When I wheeled it over to the flighline, someone asked me what motor I was using, and I said it was a Hacker. There was a pause, and then someone said they did not know Hacker made gas engines.... I said, it's not gas, it's electric. That lifted some eyebrows. Apparently it is NOT common with electrics this size. Not even heard of at this place apparently.

I took off directly into a knife-edge and did a mix of precision and 3D. Just yesterday I had finally managed to do a perfectly still hover for as long as I wanted, and luckely still managed to pull it off today. While I was hovering, one of the helicopter guys came over to me and said: Strange looking helicopter...

I have been working on my slow rolls this last week and managed to pull off a perfect one with one roll over the entire field.

The guys watching where very impressed by the plane, especially when I did an inverted harrier less than a meter over the runnway and you could barely hear the motor. (Without the landing this time)

A few of the guys took note of the web adress for 3DHS when I said it comes ready for gas setup.

Spreading the word....

Erling
Captain Norway is offline Find More Posts by Captain Norway
Old Sep 25, 2008, 03:34 PM
I butcher foam
Springfield, MO
Joined Jun 2008
1,559 Posts
I'm preparing to sell off some of my fleet and replace what I sell with something GIANT.

I think in the end, I'll end up with the 47 Velox, Slick, Sukhoi, and 87 SHP.

Captain Norway: I recently flew the Velox at a local club where electrics other than super cubs were uncommon - QUITE a few eye brow raises there as well.

It really seems like a lot of dudes do not know what's going on out there with electric birds.
rballz is offline Find More Posts by rballz
Old Sep 25, 2008, 04:19 PM
Semper Fi
United States, WA, Yakima
Joined Oct 2007
163 Posts
Subscribed
NYAV8TR is offline Find More Posts by NYAV8TR