HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2008, 06:55 AM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Build Log
**Cute Little Fokker** from Tony 65x55

I'm pleased to offer you Tony's latest WWI Biplane design the CLF or "Cute Little Fokker" a monobloc version of the Fokker D-VII. The model is designed to use four channels for AER and throttle and takes advantage of the KFm2 wing with ailerons.

The plane was not intended for first time flyers but is not difficult to fly just nimble and quick. Here are some pics of the first two CLF's. Thanks to Tony for yet another fantastic design. More to follow.

We think you will enjoy this aircraft immensely. Bob
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Last edited by Foamenator; Dec 04, 2008 at 04:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2008, 07:16 AM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Tony's Plans for the CLF

Here are Tony's plan set for the CLF. The plans were modified to reflect the relevant changes made between CLFI and CLFII.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 07:40 AM
Did you get it on video?
USA, FL, Miramar Beach
Joined Nov 2005
6,041 Posts
I like it!
Flying-Monkey is offline Find More Posts by Flying-Monkey
Old Sep 24, 2008, 07:46 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,105 Posts
Me too !!!! Bigger rudder might help tracking...
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Sep 24, 2008, 07:47 AM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Bob, Tony,

Wow, this is terrific! I look forward to learning more about the design and getting started on this one. I've yet to build a "Tony Plane" that wasn't a blast to construct and fly. I'm sure this one will be no different.

Darn...time to get to work. Don't you hate it when the job gets in the way of your favorite hobby!

Many thanks,
Pat
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt
Old Sep 24, 2008, 07:48 AM
Foam Fighter and a Bloody Mick
Hermann, MO
Joined Jul 2008
387 Posts
Cool looking plane, what a cute Fokker it is! And now, for a bunch of questions from a noob.
1-Is there no front decks, because the Mononblock goes allthe way to the edges?
2-Is the cabame the part that extend up from the fuse to the top wing?
3-Did Bob skip the wheel wing?
4-What is the large foam box wrapped around the front end on the prototype?
5-will there soon be video and a build guide?
6-Should the LG say "x2"?
Oh my gosh! I just noticed there is no slot for the H-stab, it goes on top!!!!! Woot!
grenadapult is offline Find More Posts by grenadapult
Last edited by grenadapult; Sep 24, 2008 at 08:00 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 07:56 AM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
There is a video. Here is the link:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=928721

I'll start laying out the build log today. Hopefully we can answer all you questions. Enjoy
Last edited by Foamenator; Sep 24, 2008 at 08:03 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 08:04 AM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Me too !!!! Bigger rudder might help tracking...
Actually we did that, and also widened the landing gear. Works fine now. Bob
Old Sep 24, 2008, 08:05 AM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstShirt
Bob, Tony,

Wow, this is terrific! I look forward to learning more about the design and getting started on this one. I've yet to build a "Tony Plane" that wasn't a blast to construct and fly. I'm sure this one will be no different.

Darn...time to get to work. Don't you hate it when the job gets in the way of your favorite hobby!

Many thanks,
Pat
Hi Pat... I'm sure you can squeeze some time in for this one. I thought you would really like it. Now get back to work....
Old Sep 24, 2008, 08:25 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Bob, Thank you for another fabulous beta build of one of my birds. You've done so many betas and test flights you're becoming the "Scratchbuilt Foamies" Chuck Yeager. I am in your debt.

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Sep 24, 2008, 08:31 AM
I'm kind of a big deal
Tarpon Springs, FL USA
Joined Feb 2002
852 Posts
Thanks for the info and thanks for the first pic. I just got a new desktop image.
I'll look forward to the build log.

Shawn
Tarpon Shawn is offline Find More Posts by Tarpon Shawn
Old Sep 24, 2008, 10:22 AM
Out the Window
United States, FL, Alachua
Joined Jul 2004
1,276 Posts
Thanks Tony and Foamenator!

I have been waiting for the "Hun in the sun" for a while and it looks like it is worth the wait. The Fokker VII is a great looking aircraft and the Germans did some really great looking color schemes for the VII. I can see a lot of beautiful aircraft built from this plan. Now where is my foam, glue, knives, and paints?

Ray
High Flyin' is offline Find More Posts by High Flyin'
Old Sep 24, 2008, 02:15 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
About a year ago, I wrote a little iText-Java program to generate lozenge patterns. There's a message about it over in the Simple Fokker thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=646

You should be able to make the pattern any size you want with ScaleAndTile3, or any of the other programs in use here.

Best regards,
Bill Segraves

P.S. Tony and Bob, Thanks! We've been eagerly anticipating this Cute Little Fokker. Reminds me of the punch line of an old fighter joke, i.e., "... Those Fokkers were Messerschmidts!" (sp?)
segraves is offline Find More Posts by segraves
Old Sep 24, 2008, 09:59 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Session One.... The beginnings

The following sessions are a brief outline of how I built the CLF prototypes. There is no intent to tell anyone how to do anything. Just have fun with this fantastic design.

Session One

Step one….. Study the plans

Step two…. Study the plans

Measure your plans to make sure you have printed them accurately. Each plan includes a six inch scale to be used for this purpose. Once you’ve assured yourself your plans are accurate make any adjustments to the measurements called for on the plan needed due to your variation in materials. I’ve never owned a piece of Blu-core or fan fold, so I have to modify every plan to allow for my use of foamboard, depron, etc.

IT IS AT THIS STEP YOUR PLANS WILL CEASE TO BE ACCURATE AND YOU WILL ENCOUNTER VARIANCES DOWN THE ROAD UNLESS YOU ADAPT YOUR PLANS PROPERLY.

Step three….. Build the plane.

Draw out the proper position of your motor on the monobloc pattern making sure you keep the 4 degree down-thrust called for and about 2 degrees right-thrust.
Monobloc……

Decide on which landing gear configuration you plan to use. There are three slots indicated on the plan. I used the forward and rear slots for the gear and did not cut the middle slot out of the monobloc. I think you will need the two wire setup if you plan to add the gear wing. (I haven’t added the wing to the prototypes, because of all the abuse the planes took. Adding the wing will add a lot of character to your plane. If you choose the single and simpler gear wire, only cut out the middle slot and leave the other two intact.

Draw in the locations of your battery, esc and servos making every effort to keep as much as possible as forward as possible. Achievieing the proper CG was my biggest challenge of this project and ultimately caused me to build the second prototype.

Cut out your foamie Kit. To be continued down the thread
Old Sep 24, 2008, 10:42 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Hey, Lookin' good, Bob! I cut out the templates tonight. Wondering whether to go with EPP or Depron--or some of each. Hmmm...hope this is the biggest decision I'll have to make this week.
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt