SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 13, 2003, 05:55 PM
North Platte, Nebraska, United States
Joined Jan 2003
149 Posts
new switchback on the way

I need some idea's on what would be the best brushless motor for this plane, starting out with gws 300c, but will go to a brushless in the near furture, any suggestions would great, I've read a lot of threads on this subject but am a little lost. thanks Steve
Beaver1 is offline Find More Posts by Beaver1
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2003, 06:31 PM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,075 Posts
Here we go again . The best would be a Hacker motor say : B20L/15 + 4:1 (by popular opinion in these forums ) . The next best(s) would be a miniAC /16 (what I use in standard GWS gearbox and am very happy with it) or a DD Mega /6 /7 motor or .... well you get the picture, lots of choices . All fly the SB well.
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Old Feb 13, 2003, 08:50 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,247 Posts
Steve. The Hacker is indeed the ultimate. I have one in my SB and one in my MiniFlash. I'm never looking for more power and I'm running a relatively small 11x4.7 prop on both. Going to the WonkaFlash setup with a 12x6 would really make it rip. I haven't even tried that yet.
Bill Stevens makes the perfect Hacker mount. See it here:
http://www.stevensaero.com/blmounts.html
Get the motor from Dave here:
http://www.aircraft-world.com/prodde...-L15-G&from=14

The MiniAC looks pretty good too and is quite a few bucks cheaper. I'll probably get one as my next BL. Not sure of the performance difference between the two. Hopefully someone can offer a first hand comparison.
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Feb 13, 2003, 09:13 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Froom what I have heard from The "Wonka
Man" Himself is that the Mini AC 1215/12 With a 8:1 Gear ratio Will give you as close to a Wonka Setup(A.K.A.Hacker B20 15L 4:1 GB) as you can get without going to the Hacker B20 15l 4:1 GB. You WILL need the 12 turn Mini AC if you want anything close to the hacker Power. You will Also need TALL gearing to get it. Martin Could Probably give you Numbers in thrust to wieght better than i But I know that the thrust is Pretty closein these Two setups The Mini AC would be just a couple of Oz`s lighter in thrust. As a example The Wonka Setup Hacker B20 15L) Gives 34oz`s thrust. Mini AC would be 32oz`s I think that estemate is pretty close.

Kush
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Last edited by kushal_22; Feb 13, 2003 at 11:26 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2003, 09:24 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,247 Posts
Beaver. I forgot to look at your posts to notice you're new here.
The "WonkaMan" is Martin aka "Dreamer", the resident Switchback performance guru here on the Zone. I'm sure he'll chime in here soon and we'll get the straight scoop.
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Feb 13, 2003, 11:27 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
HHMMM I too missed that.
WELCOME to the EZONE
I am sure Martin will see this thread soon and remove all doubts as to exact Numbers.

Kush
Old Feb 14, 2003, 01:16 AM
Aerial Shutterbug
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
Hey Kush...

one magic number for the 12T:

9:1 G.B.
9 cells (Hecells of course)
13x8 APC-E
16.9A
33 oz!!!
129W

Yoooooowwwwwwwsssssaaaa!

Now take a 10 cell, 6.33:1, 11x7 APC-E and burst mode it to 20A and you get a tornado in the garage! (don't ask me how I know this ). I hope to be able to put together a thrust stand over the weekend and actually get some real measurements of this set-up.

Roger
RMihara is offline Find More Posts by RMihara
Old Feb 14, 2003, 01:33 AM
Aerial Shutterbug
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
Oh drat, sorry 'bout that Beaver....Welcome to the E-Zone!

You will find the EPS300C a great starting point, since the plane was designed around this set-up. I started mine off with an EPS300C-C with a GWS 10x8 prop, 8 cell Hecell. Then soon after blowing through two motors in less than two weeks I went straight to the MiniAC1215/16. There I experimented with a variety of gear ratios and prop sizes.

What worked the best for me with this motor was the 300C G.B. with a 'B' spur gear with a 10T pinion (6.2:1) turning an APC 10x7 SF prop on 8 cells. I'd routinly get 10-12 minutes of spirited flying (including vertical ascents), some throttle management.

Mostly WOT (wide open throttle) averages 8 to 9 minute flight times.

Regards,
Roger
RMihara is offline Find More Posts by RMihara
Old Feb 14, 2003, 02:40 AM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Actually Roger

YOU were the one Martin was telling me about. I had just forgoten WHO he was telling me about Thanks for speaking up I have the 16T motor but i am going to be using it DD in a Zipper from Oldschoolrc with 6 Hecells. This Plane is really going to live up to it`s name. ANYWAYS. Glad you Chimed in there. The Mini AC Sounds VERY interesting to say the least. I do not think i will be going to it anytime soon since I have the "Golden Ticket" setup or A.k.A. "The Wonka setup"

(The "Wonka Setup" and the Golden ticket" Setup is the SAME thing.... Then agian it is pretty self explanitory for anyone who knows the Willy Wonka Story) Wonka= Golden Ticket.

Kush
Old Feb 14, 2003, 02:49 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Ummmm... yeah, what Kush and Moose said!

The only problem you're going to have with these "ultimate" setups on the switchback is the size of the prop. I HAVE swung a 12 incher on the switchback, but barely. You can't let the tail lift on takeoff and need to do a 3-point departure. Really, you want to stick with an 11 inch prop.

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Feb 14, 2003, 02:52 AM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Martin

Want to go fly MF`s tommorow?

oops Guess that should have been a PM
Old Feb 14, 2003, 03:37 AM
(aka Cliff Lawson)
United Kingdom, Essex
Joined Oct 2001
1,897 Posts
For completeness, as well as the Hacker, MiniAc & Mega's already mentioned you'll find, if you do a thread search, that people have also flown brushless Switchbacks with the Astroflight 010 (though it needs more than the "normal" 7/8 cells) and now people are also starting to try the newer MPJet 25/35 with good results too.

Cliff
(SB brushless Mega 16/15/6, APC 9x6, 7cell 600AE)
Wright Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Wright Flyer
Old Feb 14, 2003, 12:17 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Wright Flyer
For completeness, as well as the Hacker, MiniAc & Mega's already mentioned you'll find, if you do a thread search, that people have also flown brushless Switchbacks with the Astroflight 010 (though it needs more than the "normal" 7/8 cells) and now people are also starting to try the newer MPJet 25/35 with good results too.

Cliff
(SB brushless Mega 16/15/6, APC 9x6, 7cell 600AE)
There are people out there that have bought these motors and are using them....But from what i have read and heard these are not a great motor for this application. If you are thinking on going Brushless stay With something that is Proven (Although the 010 has been Proven to be a Decent Power plant) IMHO The 010 would only be my choice if I ALREADY Had it and had no $$ to spend on a Hacker or Mini AC setup (Sorry Tres )
Cliff did bring up a good point though
People Have and are using these Motors. I think you would not be satisfied with performance from these motors though

Kush
Old Feb 14, 2003, 12:32 PM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,075 Posts
Forgot to mention, my 18oz SB3D combo is a miniAC /16 in the standard GWS 'B' box and associated pinion (1:4.43 ratio) throwing a APC 10x7SF. Batteries are 600s and 1100s. Since the SB3D really isn't a 3D machine; this combo works very well (very good vertical all the time; and on a 'fresh' charged pack, unlimited for about the first minute or so). No climb out of a hover as you'd have with a Hacker. I am happy with it (if you couldn't tell ) . This is at 5200 feet as well.
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Old Feb 14, 2003, 12:47 PM
Horrible Test Pilot
Lyman WY
Joined May 2002
888 Posts
I guess I'll jump in here.
I run the MP Jet 25/35 with an 8cell Hecell and APC 10x7SF in my 18oz SB. I can't compare it to any of the other brushless setups, because I don't have them.
Compared to the stock GWS setup, it is a HUGE step up in performance.
I get nearly unlimited vertical for the first few minutes, and excellent vertical for the rest, with 8 minutes WOT.
IMO it's a great buy for the money.

Oh yeah, I'm also at high altitude (7000'), so others may get different results.

Jason
Beachernaut is offline Find More Posts by Beachernaut