HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2008, 03:06 PM
miami
Joined Sep 2008
20 Posts
Help!
Cmp Extra 330l 80"

I need some one help!
I need to determent what servo to use on the cmp extra 330L 80”. I have T9CAP "super" computerized and the Receiver is a R149DP 9 channel. But how can I know the right servo for the rudder and ailerons and wings? And the other big question is also I have a FUJI IMVAC ENGINE BT-50SA is 46.5 cc and has any one use that engine on a 80”cmp extra 330l .i cloud use the help .all I need is the correct servo to use and put it to getter .it my first big plane

al
ratalsauto is offline Find More Posts by ratalsauto
Last edited by ratalsauto; Sep 24, 2008 at 09:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2008, 04:27 AM
Registered Independent!!
Eugene, OR
Joined Jan 2006
227 Posts
I'd say you want something in excess of 100 oz/in. of torque on each of the elevators, and two of each on the ailerons, assuming that it calls for two servos on each wing, and a good strong servo on the rudder, somewhere around the 150-200 oz/in. range.

I'm a big Hitec servo fan, and I'd go with four 625's on the ailerons, two 645's on the elevators, and a 645 or stronger on the rudder. I'd also recommend running 6 volts on the Rx. You don't need a regulator, and your servos will be faster and stronger as a result.

I'm not very familiar with that plane, so I'm speculating at this point, and I also don't know what kind of flying you want to do. If you want digital servos, they make 'em in those flavors as well. Notice that all the servos I recommended have metal gears. This is important once you get to the big planes.

Ideally, you'd want to go with 5625's on the ailerons, 5645's on the elevators, and a 5985 on the rudder. Or, you can get the equivalent servos from one of the other manufacturers. I have been really happy with Hitec servos, personally, so that is what I'm familiar with. If you're on a budget, Tower sells very similar generic versions of the above under their name and the Hobbico brand name.

From what I can tell, it's a 50cc size plane. The Fuji will power it just fine for sport flying, some IMAC, and some 3D, but I've found that Fuji engines really lack the low-end torque and the high revs of some of the bigger names out there. Fuji's are also a little bit heavier. But, they do have that pretty blue cylinder... =)

I hope that helps a little bit. It's just one man's opinion, and I'd like to see what others have to say as well.

-Pat
P-Diddy is offline Find More Posts by P-Diddy
Old Sep 24, 2008, 06:30 AM
Joined Sep 2007
6 Posts
dento

G-DAY
I have h/t 5645,s all round on mine with no problems,
REGARDS
JOHN
john denton is offline Find More Posts by john denton
Old Sep 24, 2008, 08:49 AM
miami
Joined Sep 2008
20 Posts
Thank You: Pat,
You have more experience then me and I will take your vices and I will try the Hitec servo and one other thing is the fuji is a 46.5 cc engine, the model is a BT- 50 SA and yes it has a blue cylinder head and has the coil on the front of the engine. And buy the way do thing the putting the rudder servo on the back is better, I have sin so CMP extra that they put the servo in the tell end .what do you thing .
Old Sep 24, 2008, 08:59 AM
miami
Joined Sep 2008
20 Posts
thank you John
i have two of the same servo 5645 that i was going to use on the ailerons and going to try pat on other h/t servo on the rudder and wings. and john what do you thing about the servo at the tell end for the rudder
Last edited by ratalsauto; Sep 24, 2008 at 09:28 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 01:39 AM
Joined Sep 2007
6 Posts
G-DAY
No problem I have a 5645 on the rudder as a pull pull and two on both elv,s motor wise is a DZY Twin 48 and it handles it very nicely you will find it to be a very nice plane to fly,
REGARDS
JOHN
john denton is offline Find More Posts by john denton
Old Sep 25, 2008, 03:09 AM
Registered Independent!!
Eugene, OR
Joined Jan 2006
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratalsauto
Thank You: Pat,
You have more experience then me and I will take your vices and I will try the Hitec servo and one other thing is the fuji is a 46.5 cc engine, the model is a BT- 50 SA and yes it has a blue cylinder head and has the coil on the front of the engine. And buy the way do thing the putting the rudder servo on the back is better, I have sin so CMP extra that they put the servo in the tell end .what do you thing .
I would wait and see how it balances. If you end up with a nose-heavy plane without the rudder servo installed, then by all means put it in the tail.

I have never really bought into all the hype behind pull-pull rudder set-ups. The direct pushrod approach you are pondering really seems more efficient to me. I think the argument is that the servo can pull harder than it can push.

You really have to have some decent tension on the wires in the pull-pull approach to keep the rudder from moving on its own in flight, (if your airplane's tail wags like it's on a happy puppy, that's bad!). That being said, I have a pull-pull set-up on the rudder of my 33% Yak 54 and on my 29% Giles G202.

You never did say whether you are planning on sport, IMAC, 3D, all of the above...?

-Pat
Old Oct 02, 2008, 12:56 AM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,304 Posts
I have 2 HS625's on my elevator(1 on each half), 1 HS625 on each aileron, and 1 HS645 on rudder w/pull-pull on my 80" Extra(50cc engine)... if you can go digital all the way do it!! There is a difference. I wish I would have done that from the start.. I'm not changing them out now though.. I'd have to hit the lottery.. the analogs work fine, and the plane is still a ton of fun.(
1400mah nicad gives 3 flights easily. Check your batteries every flight though on any big plane(really any plane at all), but make it a habit. Dubro heavy duty hardware works well too. I've had no issues in 6 years either.. and I do preflight every flight.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Oct 11, 2008, 02:08 AM
Registered Independent!!
Eugene, OR
Joined Jan 2006
227 Posts
For batteries I've found that I can get 2500mAh NiMh batteries for about $9 each buying them from Battery Island on ebay. I have them in all my planes and have only had one fail, and that was after it sat for an extended period of time. I'm guessing they'll replace it for free considering how good their customer service has been for me in the past.

On my 33% Yak 54, with 2 standard servos for throttle and choke, 8 high torque digitals on the surfaces, I use up only about 200 mAh per flight according to the charger. I usually top them off pretty often just to be safe, but now that I have a charger that tells me how much it puts back, I feel a lot better. I also use two of the 2500 batteries, 6V of course.

-Pat
Old May 13, 2009, 09:55 AM
Joined Aug 2007
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by john denton
G-DAY
No problem I have a 5645 on the rudder as a pull pull and two on both elv,s motor wise is a DZY Twin 48 and it handles it very nicely you will find it to be a very nice plane to fly,
REGARDS
JOHN

hi john, can you hover with the DZY 48T ?? greetings
pinchehobbit is offline Find More Posts by pinchehobbit