SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 29, 2008, 02:12 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2004
3,089 Posts
Silvia's video is downloaded .....I'm scared!
epwierman is offline Find More Posts by epwierman
Last edited by epwierman; Sep 29, 2008 at 03:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2008, 03:12 PM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Verenigd Koninkrijk, Fareham
Joined Aug 2008
7,155 Posts
Any more thoughts?!

jjmouris is offline Find More Posts by jjmouris
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My F5B saw tooth props
Old Oct 03, 2008, 09:12 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2004
3,089 Posts
Wish we didn't have to wait 2 years for the next event. ;-)
epwierman is offline Find More Posts by epwierman
Old Oct 03, 2008, 10:35 PM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2001
2,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epwierman
Wish we didn't have to wait 2 years for the next event. ;-)
I vote for better toilet facilities and less rain in 2010.

Chuck
rcelectfly is offline Find More Posts by rcelectfly
Old Oct 04, 2008, 04:22 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,155 Posts
Eric, i may have to make it 4 years. Not sure i can go through all that again so soon!

But i would not want to miss Munchie.

Joe
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2008, 11:24 AM
Scotland
Joined May 2005
2,077 Posts
Keep going Joe. We would miss you too much. Too bad your first was the worst. Remember the song says "everything's free in America" so money should be less of a problem. Holland and F5B needs you.
George Shering is offline Find More Posts by George Shering
Old Oct 04, 2008, 01:08 PM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,155 Posts
Well George, i do have enough stuff to keep me going untill all the bills have been finally paid. Don't have much backup that is competative tho.

Not sure how qualification is going to work out since i imagine it will be 2009 also and not just in 2010. Then there is the Dutch BMFA (KNVvL) who will probably expect me to organise competetions in the Netherlands or something, yeah right!

By 2010 i should be able to buy something new, either a new Rudy ship or what ever is popular by then. Then give it my own little twist as you would expect of me.

Joe
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2008, 02:57 PM
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,068 Posts
I've always felt a bit flat after returning from a World Championships. I think there's so much preparation and anticipation prior to the event for at least a year and then it's all over. Suddenly there's no real point in charging it up and practicing. This is why I have a twinstar. It's relaxing and enjoyable to just turn up and fly and natter with the other guys at the club. I also fly indoors at least once a month during the winter for the same reasons. For you, Joe, I wonder if this is where the problem lies...you don't fly at a club with others and whilst for practice and preparation it's great to have a field 10 minutes up the road, there's the incentive to keep flying now? Maybe you need to join a club?

Mike
Mike Seale is offline Find More Posts by Mike Seale
Old Oct 04, 2008, 03:12 PM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2001
2,820 Posts
Joe,

We don't fly any F5B for about 6 months after a worlds unless it is for sport. Relax and fly sport planes or electric gliders for a while. In a few months things will look different.

Chuck
Old Oct 04, 2008, 04:47 PM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,155 Posts
Me fly something slow, a foam model, join a club?! You must be kidding right?!

Well the S11++ now has not much of a task in life so i may fly that at 200MPH inverted and 3 inches of the ground in the central park. That should give me my kicks!

Joe

P.s. One word of warning, i am going to enjoy some real glider flying again in the summer of 2009 and this may have unpleasent side effects for my F5B addiction.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2008, 04:56 PM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
In contrast I've come back to a warm, if wet spring in Australia totally full of enthusiasm. Not a single model was lost in competition at Kiev, self launching power off is relatively easy and safe and landings are often soft. So solo practice has become much more practical and I'm out there every chance I get. That's all good as far as I'm concerned. The F5B community is an excellent one IMHO and that's worth making the effort for all by itself.

Of course paying for your hobby is expensive and going to a world championship of any sort is difficult. Joe you need to get yourself some sponsorship. You need to join a Dutch club and talk your story, find a manager who can get raffles and the like going. That's how many others do it.

Finally, and notwitstanding the adverse comentary about the facilities in Kiev, I'd like to record my thanks to the efforts the helpers, whether they be Leonid in the soup kitchen or the line judges for their efforts. Whatever comp there was wouldn't have happened without them and I now own a couple of souvenir Ukrainian jokes.
davidleitch is offline Find More Posts by davidleitch
Old Oct 04, 2008, 05:42 PM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,155 Posts
If you don't drink and don't smoke you will die healthy!

Joe
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2008, 05:54 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmouris
Any more thoughts?!

Always take a jar of Peanut Butter with you when travelling.
You can always find bread, but not always PB

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Oct 04, 2008, 07:01 PM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2001
2,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmouris
Me fly something slow, a foam model, join a club?! You must be kidding right?!
It does not have to be slow just different! Jeff Keesaman has a foam plane that was captured on radar at 186 mph (299 kph).

Chuck
Old Oct 05, 2008, 04:41 AM
Scotland
Joined May 2005
2,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Seale
I've always felt a bit flat after returning from a World Championships.
Mike is right. It is like post natal depression. After all the anticipation, then the trauma (can't imagine any birth being worse than Kiev!), all you are left with is the nappies (diapers some call them).

I am struggling to get going with the clean-up. I made two big changes in the two months before Kiev. These were the change to 2.4GHz and the change to LiPo receiver battery with home made regulator. I need to get the installations cleaned up for long term use.

For the 2.4GHz the problem is what to do about the whiskers. I want to tape them down but where? Avionik and same problem as discussed in other thread for Spectrum.

For the LiPo receiver battery I have decided to use a detachable battery rather than a wired one with separate charging lead. I had one of each but have now settled on the detachable battery and already modified the plane.
George Shering is offline Find More Posts by George Shering