SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 07, 2001, 11:12 AM
Brian, Southern Oregon
United States, OR, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2001
81 Posts
V-Tails vs Standard

I understand that the concept of the V-tail is to keep the elevator out of the grass, perhaps keeping it from becoming damaged. However, is it just me, or is the V-tail a more fragile set up than the standard?
Also, I recently was reading a site that makes the Majestic 110" sailplane, and they boast an elevator/rudder mixer. Huh? I've heard of rudder/aileron mixing, but not the former. Anyone care to explain this?
Thanks all.
Brian
DocMac is offline Find More Posts by DocMac
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2001, 12:02 PM
Brian, Southern Oregon
United States, OR, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2001
81 Posts
Ignore the second part about explaining rudder/elevator mixing. I've got that concept. I just know it as v-tail mixing. I had a mental spasm moment :-)
Brian
DocMac is offline Find More Posts by DocMac
Old Jun 07, 2001, 12:30 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
Take a look at the follow link to DJ Aerotech's website for a good discussion on V, T, and conventional tails http://djaerotech.com/dj_askjd/dj_qu...vtaileff.html. My own personal experience is that convention tails are stronger than V tails (my V tail fuselages tend to break just forward of the tail surfaces), but more prone to landing damage.

V-Tails use R/E mixing and deltas/wings use A/E mixing.

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo