Old Sep 22, 2008, 07:02 PM
Still learning
Seville
Joined May 2007
110 Posts
Question
Which model to get for a second level?

Hi,
I am a user of a Multiplex Twinstar II plane without modification, i.e. with original 400 motors. I have been flying for some time with it and also had a few very hard landings, but since it is very tough, after some time repairing it, I was ready to fly again without problems.
Anyway I seem the plane lacks a bit of power. I am running it with a 7 cell NiMh or a 2 cell LiPo, and although in air I can do loopings and other basic aerobatics, when taking off or landing I think it should have more power for its weight.
So I have two options: upgrade both motors to brushless and use 3 cell LiPos or change to a next level model.
Changing the motors is somewhat complex because I have to break one piece in the wing in order to insert a third wire, and of course I have to replace the electronics.
Choosing another model is also tricky because I'd like a foam model, since I can still have hard landings. I'd also like it to be as big as possible. I feel more confident with bigger models (more than 1m or 40" wingspan) and I'd like to do simple aerobatics with it, so a medium or low wing would be better.

What would you recommend me?

Thank you
Rafael
rafcab is offline Find More Posts by rafcab
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2008, 07:30 PM
John,not Zerts.JOHN, NOT Zerts
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2007
1,840 Posts
Multiplex Acromaster would be one possibility. I think upgrading the Twinstar to BL would not give you much bang for the buck. Have you checked Multiplex's new website?

http://www.multiplexusa.com/index.php
Zerts is offline Find More Posts by Zerts
Old Sep 22, 2008, 10:29 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Well, I would upgrade to 2 7.2v brushed 400 motors, and running a 3 cell 2500-3500 mah lipo. Also, make sure you are using a sufficient ESC, like 45-50amp.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Sep 23, 2008, 02:58 AM
Still learning
Seville
Joined May 2007
110 Posts
Zerts: Don't you think an Acromaster is a bit complex to fly, provided that I still have hard landings?

Xpress: Do you think 7.2V 400 motors will give me more power than my present ones? What does 400 stand for?

Regards

Rafael
Old Sep 23, 2008, 05:21 AM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
You may find this thread helpful. It will give you some feel for the difficulty level of various planes you may be considering.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=794884
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt
Old Sep 23, 2008, 09:44 AM
John,not Zerts.JOHN, NOT Zerts
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2007
1,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafcab
Zerts: Don't you think an Acromaster is a bit complex to fly, provided that I still have hard landings?

Xpress: Do you think 7.2V 400 motors will give me more power than my present ones? What does 400 stand for?

Regards

Rafael
Not necessarily - you said you wanted mid or low wing. The trick to making acrobatic planes tamer is to just program a dual rate much lesser than the mfr recommended control surface throws. EXCEPT provide enough down elevator to avoid killer stalls. And avoid high throttle settings. Make sure your AUW is a bit less than what they recommend - I use a smaller battery temporarily to do that.

As for hard landings, there's a thread going that has really good tips on landing - I will find it soon.

Last, importantly, do you have about 35% expo programmed into your rudder/elevator/aileron?

If you fly at a field where an experienced acrobatic pilot flies, ask him to do the initial t/o and landing so you can get confident with flying it in between.

Or, get a flat profile foamie that cost less and is easier to repair.

The funny thing is I started with a Slow Stick and had so much trouble at first because I lacked confidence and would zig where I should zag.
Zerts is offline Find More Posts by Zerts
Last edited by Zerts; Sep 23, 2008 at 09:51 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 10:02 PM
Take that runway!
United States, AZ, Glendale
Joined May 2005
218 Posts
The upgrade to the TSII isn't so hard and doesn't have to be too expensive. This thread has some good comments on various folks ideas on upgrades. I described my upgrade process on my hobby web site here. You can get the extra wire to the nacelles without major surgery. You can get some nice motors and ESCs from Hobby Central for a good price.

I know you mentioned that you were thinking about a mid or low wing, but you also said you were looking for a big foam second plane. I enjoy flying my Magister. It is being replaced with the Mentor which is the same size but a tail dragger. It's a big foamy and strong. I nosed mine in from about 200 ft when the ESC blew up and was shocked at how little damage there was. A balsa plane would have been kindling. Here is a link to my Magister write-up. The Magister with the CAP paint job is post crash. With a nice brushless motor, you'll be able to do the basic aerobatics you mentioned in your post. It is no Acromaster but is a great large second plane.
jim12 is online now Find More Posts by jim12
Last edited by jim12; Jun 18, 2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 06:00 PM
Still learning
Seville
Joined May 2007
110 Posts
Thank you all for your answers. I got some new ideas to make up a decision.

Rafael