HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2003, 01:16 PM
ADDICTED TO LIFT
Connecticut
Joined Jan 2003
361 Posts
AC Power Supply for DC Charger

Need Assistance for purchasing an AC Power suppy for my 2DC Peak Detection Chargers (Park Pal + HiTec CG 340). I would like to charge a 150 mah pack all the way up to an 8 cell transmitter pack. I use NiCads and NIMH's. Should I just buy an AC Charger. Thank You in advance.

John
glider34 is offline Find More Posts by glider34
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2003, 02:06 PM
Blissfully Ignorant
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
235 Posts
If you want something really cheap, and don't need more than 6-8A, then get a computer power supply, the 12V is very clean and the units are really cheap.
Biggles604 is offline Find More Posts by Biggles604
Old Feb 13, 2003, 05:10 PM
ADDICTED TO LIFT
Connecticut
Joined Jan 2003
361 Posts
could you tell me where i could find one and roughly how much$? Competition electronics sells an adapter as well.

Glider 34
Old Feb 14, 2003, 09:27 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2003
1,101 Posts
If you are interested in a larger supply, Radio Shack has a 13.8V 25 amp unit on sale for $60. This should handle almost any of your needs in the future.
defranci is offline Find More Posts by defranci
Old Feb 14, 2003, 09:32 PM
EFlight=Fun,Big-T=BIG FUN
San Antonio, TX, USA
Joined Jan 2001
964 Posts
defranci has got it - the RS 25A power supply is a GREAT DEAL!
Otherwise go with a mod'ed PC Power supply - often available cheap or free from computer places - you want an old AT-type not the ATX-type. AT-Type is easier to mod and are obselete, so they often throw them away!
Search Ezone for info on how to mod it - easy.
Bernard "Crash" Siegel
P.S. My mod'ed PC power supply does NOT work with my Orbit charger because the Orbit has a large turn-on surge (the power supply thinks it's a short and shuts down). My RS power supply just keeps on humming....
bjsiegel@texas.net is offline Find More Posts by bjsiegel@texas.net
Old Feb 14, 2003, 09:43 PM
Repton, Derbyshire, UK
Joined Oct 2000
43 Posts
I just thought it worth adding a comment about a couple of earlier points. I prefer the ATX supply as it is powered on connecting the appropriate wire to ground and doesn't have mains voltages coming to a fairly unsuitable switch. My other point is that my supply hase no problem whatsoever with my Orbit charger - perhaps the lack of an adequate load on the 5V line is may be the reason for the stated problem.

Sorry I can't offer more detailed info as I'm stuck in some miserable hotel in PA waiting on a business deal!! (Anyone know any good model shops around Philadelphia to fill my weekend?) If anyone wants more detailed info just search for pc power supply.
colinc is offline Find More Posts by colinc
Old Feb 18, 2003, 03:12 PM
ADDICTED TO LIFT
Connecticut
Joined Jan 2003
361 Posts
PC Charger Aquired

I need specific instructions on setting up my PC Power Supply up. Can someone familiar with the thread give me the link or title. This is a "switchable" power supply that at 12V - 9 amps are produced. Thanks in advance.

Glider34
Old Feb 18, 2003, 08:50 PM
EFlight=Fun,Big-T=BIG FUN
San Antonio, TX, USA
Joined Jan 2001
964 Posts
Search Ezone for "computer power supply".
Likely to be a lot of hits - wade thru making notes.
Special attention to differences between AT and ATX power supplies. Also, concerning load on 5V line.
Enjoy!
It works. Mine cost be me - 1 free AT PS, 2 Radio Shack 10W resistors ($2?), 1 cig lighter outlet (auto parts place $3), and 1 pair Radio Shack bannana jacks ($2?).
Works great on all my chargers EXCEPT the Orbit which has a LARGE start up surge which cause the PS to think there is a short and shutdown.
Bernard "Crash" Siegel
P.S. If you don't know what you are doing with basic electrics, I recommend caution inside the power supply. There is 115V AC in there and that can ruin your whole day.
bjsiegel@texas.net is offline Find More Posts by bjsiegel@texas.net
Old Nov 07, 2007, 03:14 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Feb 2007
340 Posts
I've got one in this forum FS also, I believe it's rated 30A max, but I'd have to double check. Already setup for bananna plugs.
dcg9381 is offline Find More Posts by dcg9381