HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2003, 01:01 PM
Ontario Int, California, United States
Joined Feb 2001
628 Posts
HL's New P-51 Mustang- awesome!

Finally my long wait is over! The P-51 Mustang from Hobby-Lobby and it's only 3 channel! Now, that last statement is very important for flyers like us that does not want to move to 4 channels-at least not yet! The wingsize is just right, semi-symmetrical- meaning more stable in the air! Glad I waited because I was ready for the GWS P-51 but it was a 4 channel. This is for me who's too lazy to build yet another plane ( if you call it building- all I have are ARF's- ). Now, let me check if it's on stock!
tnsfrk is offline Find More Posts by tnsfrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2003, 01:26 PM
Wakefield, MA
Joined Feb 2001
769 Posts
There have been a number of people flying the GWS mustang as a 3 channel. Simply do not cut the rudder free and don't install the servo. I don't think there is an easier conversion out there! On the other hand, I can bet that more than a couple of guys will make the HL P-51 into a 4 channel (or more).

It looks like you are buying a lot of scale looks with the HL, looks very nice. But for a lot of people, $100+ price difference will be hard to justify.
member73 is offline Find More Posts by member73
Old Feb 13, 2003, 01:31 PM
Is it summer yet?
Flight Level 46 X 92
Joined Feb 2002
2,000 Posts
I agree with "73". It is hard to beat the the GWS Mustang for value. I have two of them and I don't think my investment equals the price of one of the HL mustangs plus the power system. Both of mine are 3 channel belly floppers, so the three vs. 4 channel issue is really a non-issue. I have not had a need for rudder yet. If you want it at least the GWS can be converted to 4 channel and all the parts are included. LG is included as well if you want.
Nope, I'll stick to the GWS 'stang.
gouda is online now Find More Posts by gouda
Old Feb 13, 2003, 01:34 PM
Joined Dec 2002
163 Posts
PhilA

I'm sure it's a great model but there are just so many P-51s out there already. I'm sick of P-51s.
PhilA is offline Find More Posts by PhilA
Old Feb 13, 2003, 03:12 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2003
161 Posts
yes
too many GWS Zero and P51 in the air.
we need some thing different now.
Spitfire? Me109? A10?
therookie is offline Find More Posts by therookie
Old Feb 13, 2003, 03:37 PM
Louisville, KY
Joined Jan 2003
41 Posts
Tired of the same planes?

I just saw the HL P-51 and boy it does look wicked, but I'll have to say that the GWS w/ a touch of the right paint could look just as good and would probably be more stable that the HL version while still falling well below the $120. mark.
Although, I recently bought the HL P-47 ant I must say it is a work of art!
I would like to challenge the model making companies to come out with more types of aircraft for the electric ARF market...

Who out there wouldn't like a YAK-9, or a P-39, or a AeroMacci (SP?), or a PT-19, or a Brewster Buffalo, or a Hawker Seafury, or a Douglass Devisdator...????

Perhaps a top 10 list should be made, and we as modellers should demand production of the "b" list planes
NoFlaps is online now Find More Posts by NoFlaps
Last edited by NoFlaps; Feb 13, 2003 at 03:40 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2003, 03:42 PM
Tight is Right
Lehi, Utah, United States
Joined Dec 2001
7,693 Posts
Not to worry, oh ye sick of P-51's, GWS has a Spitfire, Corsair, ME-109, and DC-3 on the way.

But then the P-51 was "on the way" for darn near a year .

As for comparisons between the HL and GWS. Apples and Oranges.

The GWS plane is a nice $60 complete kit for the economy/sport flier.

The HL kit (in typical fasion) is more than twice the price for a higher quality finish. Using their recommended motor and gearbox, the price of the HL kit is right around $150. (Although if it were me I'd not buy the recommended powerplant and use a GWS motor gearbox for $18 instead of $40 for the S300/MPJ recommended).

Which again brings up the question, why would anyone buy an S300+MPJ gearbox for $35 when a brushless MPJ+gearbox is only $50.

HL and GWS target two different markets IMHO. GWS will outsell the HL plane by a large margin, but it is nice to have a "pretty" option for a P-51.

Melf
Darren Hintze is offline Find More Posts by Darren Hintze
Old Feb 13, 2003, 03:48 PM
Fremont, CA
Joined Sep 2002
90 Posts
Melfsmite,

Can you share where you can buy a brushless MPJ+gearbox for only $50? Sounds like a good value. Please let us inquiring minds know. Thanks.
dbx824 is offline Find More Posts by dbx824
Old Feb 13, 2003, 03:52 PM
Tight is Right
Joined Dec 2001
7,693 Posts
Oddly enough, right from Hobby Lobby.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless_mpjet.htm

Why they don't just recommend the brushless set up (which anyone buying a $120 foamy would probably want anyway) is beyond me.

Melf

edit: You can read all about testing of the MPJ motors over on the Power Systems forum. These MPJ's are a little finicky due to their very high Kv (particularly the 25-25 which would be the right fit for this Mustang) but most have come to the conclusion this motor does have its place particularly given its price.

Oh yeah, don't pay any attention to the data posted on the HL site, it's very wrong. Head over to Power Systems for the real scoop.
Last edited by Darren Hintze; Feb 13, 2003 at 03:59 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2003, 04:13 PM
Ontario Int, California, United States
Joined Feb 2001
628 Posts
I don't blame you fellas, except me because this will be my first one! And it's really pricey compared to the GWS Mustang- I may have to do a little more research on the pros and cons of the GWS Mustang before I decide on the HL version. I've flown the Wattage Reno racer, matter of fact, it's my second one, and being that small, you've just got to be right on on the CG or you'll have a handful- you guys been there- that's what I've been reading about the GWS version where they can't get the right CG and end up in a crash- well this HL version being a little larger won't be as sensitive to CG variation than the little ones. We'll see what happen.
tnsfrk is offline Find More Posts by tnsfrk
Old Feb 13, 2003, 04:29 PM
Tight is Right
Joined Dec 2001
7,693 Posts
>>that's what I've been reading about the GWS version where they can't get the right CG and end up in a crash- well this HL version being a little larger won't be as sensitive to CG variation than the little ones. <<

Er, don't bet on it.

If you read even the magazine review (which are always optimisitic given the mag's need for advertising) it says the HL mustang, like all mustangs, is VERY sensitive to it's CG.

And at 33" WS, 26" length the HL Mustang is smaller than the GWS (34" WS, 29" length). At just 26" in length its even shorter coupled meaning: don't yank the elevator.

Just setting the record straight.

Melf
Last edited by Darren Hintze; Feb 13, 2003 at 05:01 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2003, 04:46 PM
Louisville, KY
Joined Jan 2003
41 Posts
clarifications & More

Thanks for the note on the C.G. and the size difference for the P-51, I read the review as well, but was feeling to lazy to say anything.

I want the DC-3 from GWS...Who knows about that, and what else does anyone know about prospective new aircraft from anybody ?
Old Feb 13, 2003, 04:59 PM
Tight is Right
Joined Dec 2001
7,693 Posts
GWS has more about "developing" projects than most other sites I visit. But almost all manufacturers have "coming soon" sections. Just do a search on Wattage or Great Planes, or whatever if you want to view them.

The GWS site, with the info on the DC-3 is here. No details ever, just a picture with "Coming Soon".

http://www.gws.com.tw/english/produc...y/airplane.htm

Melf
Old Feb 13, 2003, 05:07 PM
Louisville, KY
Joined Jan 2003
41 Posts
Many thanks~

I just saw the website...That Corsair looks too cool !

Thank you again !
Old Feb 13, 2003, 05:13 PM
Tight is Right
Joined Dec 2001
7,693 Posts
Heh, the Corsair is what I'm drooling for as well.

I usually keep a warbird in my squadron. Assuming it flies like the Zero and Mustang, the Corsair will be my first GWS Warbird.