HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2008, 07:50 PM
Joined Apr 2007
48 Posts
Question
How do you fly inverted?

I have a BCP and i can't figure out how to fly inverted.
McReady is offline Find More Posts by McReady
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2008, 07:55 PM
dze
Joined Jan 2008
5,917 Posts
u need inverted training gear and a few beers ..
3D-Chong Inverted Training Gear Day (5 min 47 sec)
dze is offline Find More Posts by dze
Old Sep 21, 2008, 08:41 PM
MFSmaniac
Joined Apr 2008
1,119 Posts
Get a CP heli flight simulator (most usually come with CP heli) since crashing wont cost ya anything. Hover it high enough, then roll (left/right) or yank the heli (forward/backward) until it's upside down. IMMEDIATELY after it's inverted, then quickly have the throttle stick at the bottom (on normal side up, u'd have the throttle on top/above mid). Try to hold the heli like that for a few seconds with the cyclics, then longer until you can flip back to normal back n forth with ease. I can run the technical mumbojumbo but that's pretty much the thing to do.

If you can do that on simulator, learn how fast you can get a roll reaction from your real world heli and do the same procedure after being familiar with the response time.
mprasm is offline Find More Posts by mprasm
Old Sep 21, 2008, 10:02 PM
Joined Oct 2007
319 Posts
Get it at least 50' up in the air in a wide open space and just start out with forward rolls. Stick timing with aircraft orientation is crucial. Do it on the sim at least 10 times consecutively without a crash. And don't get big balls after 1st real invert. Set 'er down & don't have heart attackackackack.
minster9 is offline Find More Posts by minster9
Old Sep 21, 2008, 10:30 PM
Genius or Madness?
The Evergreen State
Joined Jul 2007
873 Posts
A Blade CP? You should check this out...
blade cp inverted hover (1 min 48 sec)

I'd like to find out just how exactly he made this contraption. However, I do recommend a flight simulator.
Necron Xen is offline Find More Posts by Necron Xen
Old Sep 21, 2008, 11:24 PM
Joined Oct 2007
319 Posts
balsa wood
minster9 is offline Find More Posts by minster9
Old Sep 22, 2008, 12:31 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McReady
I have a BCP and i can't figure out how to fly inverted.
The stock Blade CP won't really do it very well. Neither will the CP Pro...

However, with a heli that has the capability, it isn't that hard. The CP has barely enough capability to fly inverted, while for something like the Blade 400, simple inverted flight is within 50% of it's capability. You see, in order to make this maneuver easy, you need to be well within the capability of the helicopter itself, rather than on the edge or at the max of its capabilities.

Same thing goes for the pilot - you must be more than capable of actually flying it inverted before you try it. The only way you are going to get there is with a good simulator. I personally use RealFlight G3.5, but "HeliSim" is pretty good, and FMS will even get the basics for you.

1. Be in idle-up mode with good head speed - this is a problem for the CP - it just can't generate a good head speed and it bogs down easily.
2. Pop the heli up a bit and while you have the momentum going up...
3. Flip the heli upside-down in either direction (roll it or flip it)
4. As the heli flips over, move the collective stick down, trying to hit mid-stick exactly when the heli is vertical
5. OK this is the hard part - remember how far above mid-stick you were in a regular hover? That's how far below mid-stick you'll need to be in order to hover inverted - maybe a slight bit more.

That is the mistake I made when I did my first roll - I thought I would need to punch the collective into the negative range really hard - and this makes for a sloppy roll, and I almost killed the motor using too much negative pitch all at once. You must make your transitions smoothly - don't jerk things around. I remember the first time I saw somebody doing hard 3D - I imagined them slamming the sticks around to the extremes - but it's impossible to fly that way - you'll de-stabilize the helicopter and it won't do what you want. Move quickly, but smoothly. Hard to describe... but get a lot of simulator practice.

By the time you have mastered hovering in all orientations and fast forward flight circuits and figure eights, you'll be ready to try a loop, which I think should be your first inverted move - even a FP heli can do a loop. Next will come rolls, then some inverted FF (2-point rolls really), and then you can try to hover inverted, which is much harder than the fluid maneuvers like rolls, loops, and cuban-8s.

Make it smooth... like this:
Blade 400 Light 3D (5 min 42 sec)
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Sep 22, 2008, 12:32 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necron Xen
A Blade CP? You should check this out...

I'd like to find out just how exactly he made this contraption. However, I do recommend a flight simulator.
That is made of either "K'nex" or Lego Technic parts.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 12:49 AM
Genius or Madness?
The Evergreen State
Joined Jul 2007
873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501
That is made of either "K'nex" or Lego Technic parts.
I don't think so, if you look in the comments, he says it himself that he made it out of BBQ sticks and some CA (aka super-glue, right?).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemybladecp
thx, i am now starting to hold it inverted for real, gone as low as 5ft maybe. i just made that rig out of bbq sticks, must've been more than a dozen of them, and tie them up with treads, and put a drop of CA.
I'd like to thank you for the idea though, Jasmine. I have a big box of K'Nex that I haven't touched for years that I can probably put to good use now
Necron Xen is offline Find More Posts by Necron Xen
Old Sep 22, 2008, 01:39 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2006
1,421 Posts
Use an RC Simulator Program.

Get an RC PC sim program like Real Flight or Phoenix. Both of these mimic the physics and aerodynamics of real models very well.

Both are good but Phoenix has better photo-realistic and water effects than Real Flight. Download the demos to decide. You do need a good PC with either sim programs to run them smooth.

This is the best thing you can do for learning inverted flight, and it will not cost you anything, if you crash.

Once you are confident in the sim, then get a lightweight 300-400 size helicopter and try the same maneuvers up high.

Unless you are a prodigy, inverted flight takes a long time to learn and master, by this I mean once you invert the helicopter you have to hold it in hover and be able to do the sames things you would with the helicopter upright. This can take months to years to accomplish depending on how hard you practice, but don't let this discourage you!. Be determined and just have fun! at first in the sim, and it will all come naturally, one day. Then you can try doing precision flying and more elaborate tricks.

Here is a video of what you can achieve with Real Flight G3.5 and a tiny model that has been modified to fly inverted. Never mind the mention of upgrades in the video, for the real thing, just watch the model. You can do the same with practice, the dynamics of bigger sim models and slower ones will get you the training you need quickly.

Walkera 4#3 Caution! Extreme 3D Flights! Got Fast Eyes? (3 min 1 sec)
MarioIArguello is offline Find More Posts by MarioIArguello
Last edited by MarioIArguello; Sep 22, 2008 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Use an RC sim
Old Sep 22, 2008, 01:58 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Yeah I guess I could have checked that. Looks a lot like K'nex though... one problem with that is the K'nex come apart really easy. The Lego Technic can make some pretty strong stuff. However, I don't think a contraption like that is going to help you learn very much. It's the transition that's important - when I've had trouble with inverted stuff, it's because I went into it weird... hard to recover from a mistake when you're upside-down. Turn off the zoom on your sim when you practice - there is no zoom in real life, and you need to learn to keep orientation when you can barely see the thing.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 05:00 AM
Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Rheinland-Pfalz, Kaiserslautern
Joined Apr 2007
1,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minster9
balsa wood
AFAIK those are barbecue sticks or something. Not balsa. I used plywood plus some carbon fibre parts and then used some twine for the axial forces.
daybyter is offline Find More Posts by daybyter