HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2008, 07:29 AM
Winging it Ò>
Joined May 2006
9,766 Posts
Awesome work Dave, looks great and flies even better! Very cool!

How do you implement a gyro into a control axis?
leadfeather is offline Find More Posts by leadfeather
Last edited by leadfeather; Sep 22, 2008 at 08:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2008, 12:05 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,173 Posts
This would work well in my old beater Pogo. Just need to know how you program it into elevons. Great job and great proven difference.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Sep 25, 2008, 04:14 PM
scottsdale, az
Joined Sep 2008
8 Posts
I want to use a gyro on my evelon plane...I will need 2 of them right since I am mixing with the evelons?
danimalistik08 is offline Find More Posts by danimalistik08
Old Sep 25, 2008, 04:53 PM
Vancouver, Canada
Joined May 2007
279 Posts
Wow this is simply amazing, good job man! Thus you'd need 1 gyro per servo or how does it connect?
saotome is offline Find More Posts by saotome
Old Sep 25, 2008, 05:29 PM
USA, TX, Dallas
Joined Feb 2006
154 Posts
Whoo-Hoo, and then?

Just had to comment on how informative and entertaining you and your sidekick are. You two should have your own weekly TV show. You even look kinda' like to David Duchovny. Keep up the good work ! whoo-hoo, and then?

Thanks,
Jamie
JamiePhoto is offline Find More Posts by JamiePhoto
Old Sep 25, 2008, 06:01 PM
"It's a Quad" :O
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danimalistik08
I want to use a gyro on my evelon plane...I will need 2 of them right since I am mixing with the evelons?
You can use one gyro for pitch without problems just use a Y-Harness.

See below:

I figured out how to eliminate the mixer on roll but then there will be problems if you want an additional gyro on the pitch axis.

If you have the servos installed such that the control horns face one another and setup Elevon mix in your radio when you pull left the left servo will move away from you and the right will move towards you (if you are standing behind the plane). If you rotate the right servo 180 degrees, you will also have to move the right servo towards the nose so your pushrods are the same length. Now when you roll left both control horns move away from you. Now you will need to flip some reverse switches in the radio to get them coordinated. Now the reason I did this.....the Gyro will sense the plane rolling right and command a left movement but it doesn't know anything about elevons. With the new configuration it will command both servos to move but because the right servo is rotated 180 degrees the servo arm will move opposite of the other initiating a left turn.

But now the Pitch Gyro will also cause turns but your radio will still command correct pitch changes.

So if you only want to control the Yaw and Roll you can do it with this configuration and not need an additional on-board mixer. If you want all 3 you will have to get 1 mixer for the roll and leave the servos in a "normal" configuration.
thewz is offline Find More Posts by thewz
Old Sep 26, 2008, 12:14 AM
scottsdale, az
Joined Sep 2008
8 Posts
[QUOTE]

Thanks thewz for the reply. Can you explain more on how to hook up the y harness with th gyro inline cause I still can't picture how they will work with only one gyro.
Thanks!
danimalistik08 is offline Find More Posts by danimalistik08
Last edited by danimalistik08; Sep 26, 2008 at 11:11 AM. Reason: I didn't read the reply post well enough. oops
Old Sep 26, 2008, 11:59 PM
Norfolk, Va
Joined May 2006
2,288 Posts
I think we need an "advanced" gyro thread.
So if we wanted to emulate the setup with pitch and I assume roll, for wing rock, using the TX mixing, unless an on-board mixer has some advantage(?) how would, could it, be done.

I'll have to go back and pay close attention to the video.
The rudder gyro tames yaw.
Is pitch gyro controlling the canards only or canards and elevons?
And I'll assume, since I don't see another way, roll is controlled by the elevon gyro.
fr4nk1yn is offline Find More Posts by fr4nk1yn
Old Sep 27, 2008, 01:45 AM
Just one more flight...
Pasadena Cal-i-Forn-I-AY!
Joined Sep 2005
1,333 Posts
Hey guys, yeah it just takes alot of messin around with it to find what works for whatever you want to do. I can say a few things real quick:

1) If you just want to put 1 gyro on your pitch, roll, or yaw, just plug it in like this:
Receiver ---> Gyro ---> Servo
2) If you have 2 roll servos working together or whatever, just use a y-connector.
3) For elevon/delta mode... I'm not sure how that goes if its mixed from your radio... My simple Dx6 I am using I have it in "regular" mode with no elevon/delta mixing from the radio. I do the mixing from the onboard elevon/delta mixers... I can't remember if thats the only way to do it or not...

I think the gyro gets mad if its AFTER the mixer (either onbaord or radio mixing). If I remember right, the gyro has to go BEFORE the mixer... I think thats one of the reasons why I have to do it with onbaord mixers... its just so much, I honestly don't remember how I wired it all up, but I think thats right. Otherwise the gyro is getting "2 signals" from the mixer and the gyro won't take that.
Radio (no mixing) ---> Gyro ---> onbaord elevon/delta mixer ---> 2 elevon servos

My BIGGEST challenge by far in wiring it all up is cause ch5 does my "canards high alpha" where they face back into the wind and continue to work when the switch is hit, and still be gyro stabilized. And my ch6 when my ailerons flip up as spoilerons and are also still gyro stabilized. This was the hardest part cause I wanted the gyro to correct the roll and pitch on these 2 but NOT the ch5 and ch6 switch they were connected to, if that doesn't make sense.

Dave
RCSuperPowers is offline Find More Posts by RCSuperPowers
Old Sep 27, 2008, 10:28 AM
Norfolk, Va
Joined May 2006
2,288 Posts
Thanks. So pitch is canard only?
Everything else makes perfect sense.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 11:42 AM
Just one more flight...
Pasadena Cal-i-Forn-I-AY!
Joined Sep 2005
1,333 Posts
Yes, on this one the gyro for the pitch just works the canards only (not back elevons) cause there was already 2 elevon mixers working the back elevons and the gyro would not take it. I spent probably 2 weeks trying every which way to get the gyro to work the back elevons for pitch as well but there was already just way too much and no room for the gyro. Plus, I needed to get the gyros to mix with the ch5 for the high alpha switch... that was too much as well. But it works out cause:
- I need the roll thrust vectoring and yaw thrust vectoring gyro stabilized for high alpha, cause thats what slips out when I am up at like 80+ degrees of attack.
- At high alpha its pretty stable on the pitch though. I just need some pitch help for landing and flying cause it so tail heavy. So just gyro on the front canards takes care of that nicely cause the plane is always moving through the air when I need pitch stabilization. Took about a year to figure out, but it all works nicely now.
Dave
RCSuperPowers is offline Find More Posts by RCSuperPowers
Old Sep 27, 2008, 11:55 AM
Norfolk, Va
Joined May 2006
2,288 Posts
Great Engineering on that. I watched the video paying more attention.
Way beyond me on many "detail" points.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 12:12 PM
Sweden, Västra Götaland, Goteborg
Joined Aug 2005
718 Posts
What do you use the second receiver for?
Impressive, btw
Frojd is offline Find More Posts by Frojd
Old Sep 27, 2008, 02:36 PM
Joined Jul 2007
46 Posts
That is unbelievable.

Having a Reflex 3D park flyer where the CoG demands to put the battery directly after the motor. Installed the cheap esky gyro from my phased out Honey Bee King II heli. Mounted on the right side of the fuselage (profile) just above the wing 2/3 from the leading edge.

Gain is set to ca. 55% (started with 25%). Now I can forget about this Center of Gravity thing (what's that? ). Was able to move back my 100 g battery about 2 inches -
was also able to use my old 50 g battery packs without using ballast.

There is no difference in flight characteristics (much slower flight speed now possible) using both packs on the same mounting position.

Thanks Dave for your great work and inspirational videos!

Thomas
rcgReader is offline Find More Posts by rcgReader
Last edited by rcgReader; Sep 27, 2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 10:52 PM
Ted M
Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2007
1,293 Posts
Very cool. I am into helis and am familiar with heli tail gyros, I was thinking about using one on a new plane with active front canards and have a few questions if I may.

1 Are the gyros you're using running in heading hold mode or just rate mode?
2 Do you switch the gyros remotely and/or change the gain remotely?
3 When you go into high Alpha, do you switch into a different mode that has offsets for the canard position?

Thanks in advance.
Gandalf_Sr is offline Find More Posts by Gandalf_Sr