Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 08, 2008, 06:24 PM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
bwalt822,Looks good so far.Be careful with the wheel pants.If they catch the grass, it's automatic nose over On the real plane the pants travel up and down with the shock strut.If you can,(may need to be a memember) on rcscalebuilder there is a EXELLENT build thread on the column "other kits".Just type in gee bee.I beleive robart makes the gp geebee struts.Something to think about.As for Rodan,dude I would strip your gee bee's covering and check out the whole plane.You already own it so what does it really matter.Because at that weight,you might as well get a running start and chuck it off a cliff to see if it would even glide.As oppose to trying to fly the plane.The 1/4 scale version weighs in at 24lbs with a g45 gas engine .Maybe next year I will start building my1/4 scale version.Yes it is the ap kit with all the goodies

KOMET44
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2008, 08:43 PM
USA, WA, Edmonds
Joined Aug 2008
1,883 Posts
There is about an inch of clearance from the bottom of the wheel to the wheel pants. I don't have the funds for the robart struts so the stock ones will have to do. I will probably join a club with an asphalt runway so that should help things.

Another suggestion for this kit is not not drill the wing hold down blocks until you have the wing on the plane. The way instructions tell you to do it leaves the head of the bolt not flat to the wing surface which results in some weird torquing of the structure when you tighten the wing down.

The work for the weekend was to make the "systems" panel which will house everything needed to run the plane and will make for less non scale things on the outside of the plane. The only thing missing from the picture is the remote glow plug installation.

I also built the bottom rear fuselage which was pretty straight forward. The stringers didn't fit as tightly as they probably should with a laser cut kit but some medium CA filled in the gaps.
bwalt822 is offline Find More Posts by bwalt822
Old Nov 14, 2008, 04:33 PM
War Eagle!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2006
2,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogflyer
Build looks good. Keep taking pictures and making posts.

Not sure what that rod is for, but itís hard to tell with it wrapped up in the plastic bag. Pull it out and see what it matches up to on the plans.

Iím surprised Sneasle hasnít chimed in here yet Ė heís a big Gee Bee fan.

Hogflyer
I didn't see the thread until just now!!!!!

Keep on posting, I'll keep on commenting.

I've got a Z in the closet that will get built next year hopefully, once my skill level improves to the point where I can fly it!
sneasle is online now Find More Posts by sneasle
Old Nov 14, 2008, 07:06 PM
USA, WA, Edmonds
Joined Aug 2008
1,883 Posts
Hopefully it doesn't take too much skill to fly this. Its my fourth "real" plane and my 6th or 7th flying "contraption". Don't worry, they were all built by choice. I haven't lost an airframe yet and have been flying for 9 years.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 12:14 AM
War Eagle!
Joined Sep 2006
2,843 Posts
nice. No worries then. I've been flying for 2+ years and I have yet to solo.. as sad as that is. It seems every weekend I can get out to the field somethign comes up.. either the wings kick up to 10-15, or the rain comes out, or the instructor is out of town...

I'm working on building up 2 foamies that I can store in a small space to have a plane I can keep under the seat to fly whenever I get the chance... so I don't have to drive teh 30min to the club field just to be thwarted by the weather.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 10:31 PM
USA, WA, Edmonds
Joined Aug 2008
1,883 Posts
Today was spent on systems integration. The remote glow was installed on the systems panel. I then mounted the engine so that the prop had about 1/4" clearance to the cowl. Don't waste your money on the dead center hole locator because a really hot drill bit that is the same diameter as the engine case holes works amazingly well.

The slimline muffler for the .75 AX barely has enough room to clear the engine mount. Mine actually contacts the engine mount but the pipe is not being torqued. It just lightly rubs, 1 or 2 hundredths closer and I might have had to get an extender. I don't know why the slimline people didn't decide to give the pipe another eight or quarter of an inch greater clearance. My engine mount is a little wide but it was sized for .60-.90 engines.

After the engine was mounted, I put made all of the firewall penetrations and hooked up what I could.

Next was the throttle setup. You can see the throttle servo mounts on the same side as the systems panel near the bottom of the picture. Computer radios take all the fun out of setting up throttle linkages. Its hard to imagine that some will never get the opportunity to do it with a non computer radio.

Next up is fuel tank mounting, systems panel mounting, and the wing to body fairing.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 05:20 PM
USA, WA, Edmonds
Joined Aug 2008
1,883 Posts
Not much happened over this weekend and not much will happen over Thanksgiving due to my fiancee being in town.

I did get some of the cutouts done on the dummy engine. The 1/5 scale Tope Flite radial fits perfectly.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 01:09 AM
War Eagle!
Joined Sep 2006
2,843 Posts
Good to know the radial worked out. I'd like to see some pics of it in the future *hinthint*
Old Nov 26, 2008, 09:21 AM
USA, WA, Edmonds
Joined Aug 2008
1,883 Posts
The dummy engine isn't painted or assembled yet. I have never used a dummy engine before. I have removed one cylinder for airflow over the actual OS .75 cylinder but do I need to cut out the plastic in between the cylinders for more airflow through the cowl? Could this reduce drag?
Old Nov 26, 2008, 01:59 PM
War Eagle!
Joined Sep 2006
2,843 Posts
idk, i'm sure the increased airflow would make your engine happier, but idk it the reduced drag will be noticeable.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 11:06 PM
USA, WA, Edmonds
Joined Aug 2008
1,883 Posts
I got the dummy engine pretty much completed today and here are your pictures as requested. I used the main colors listed on the packaging but left out some of the details. I used steel for the pushrod tubes because I grabbed that instead of silver. It's probably not very scale but its good for what I want and better than nothing.

The decision of whether to cut out the plastic in between the cylinders was decided by the fact that it would be impossible to install the cowl without cross threading the blind nuts if I didn't. It would also be pretty hard to install the cowl without being able to see where the blind nuts were.
Old Dec 01, 2008, 12:01 AM
War Eagle!
Joined Sep 2006
2,843 Posts
no worries, looks pretty good to me. I think I like it with the cutouts. You might want to paint the inside of the cowl/firewall black, but aside from that it looks nice.
Old Dec 07, 2008, 07:14 PM
USA, WA, Edmonds
Joined Aug 2008
1,883 Posts
Alright. Summary of work for the weekend.

Fuel tank and tank floor installed. I moved the tank floor all the way forward to the firewall and used a splice to connect the aft portion of the tank to one of the fuselage cross braces. The cross braces are not very strong but i put some foam on the bottom of the tank floor which should help support the tank floor when the wing is installed.

Panel hatch cut to size and latch installed. I think I will use covering for the hatch hinge because masking tape seems to work pretty darn well. The systems panel was also glued in place. I really hope nothing goes wrong on this panel because it will be very difficult to service. Knock on wood.

I got all of the wing to body fairings installed except for the sheeting. It was a non exact process of recessing the really thin plywood into the stringers.
Old Dec 07, 2008, 09:55 PM
War Eagle!
Joined Sep 2006
2,843 Posts
looks pretty darn good to me
Old Dec 07, 2008, 10:43 PM
USA, WA, Edmonds
Joined Aug 2008
1,883 Posts
Thanks,

The hatch cleared (or barely didnt clear) the wing to body fairing by shear accident. I forgot about it until right after I made the cutout for the hatch.

I did test the remote glow for continuity so that shouldn't be a problem.

I also probably should have sanded the 1/4" balsa where the front of the fuse tapers before glueing the plastic pieces on. Oh well, ill just have to make it look as good as I can when I do get around to sanding it.