HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2008, 07:08 PM
USA, WA, Edmonds
Joined Aug 2008
1,883 Posts
Build Log
Build Log: 1/5 scale Page Aviation Gee Bee R2

Does anyone want to see a build log of my construction of a 1/5 scale Gee Bee? If so, reply, if not don't. I'm already a good chunk of the way through the build but I would gladly post my progress so far and progress past the maiden flight if people are interested. The only reason I ask is that I don't want to be talking to myself on a build log thread here. I have posted this thread because I have already asked a few questions in this forum and gotten no response.

Thanks and let me know.
bwalt822 is offline Find More Posts by bwalt822
Last edited by bwalt822; Oct 15, 2008 at 05:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2008, 07:11 PM
USA, WA, Edmonds
Joined Aug 2008
1,883 Posts
Last edited by bwalt822; Sep 21, 2008 at 10:14 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 01:12 AM
Smoke & Fire
United States, TN, Maryville
Joined Jun 2001
215 Posts
Yes and YES!
Naja Kaouthia is offline Find More Posts by Naja Kaouthia
Old Sep 24, 2008, 09:15 PM
USA, WA, Edmonds
Joined Aug 2008
1,883 Posts
Build Log: Page Aviation Gee Bee R2

Well if at least one person will listen, i'll talk. Ill start with the wing build pictures.

The build was pretty straight forward and took me all of a day and a half. Everything went well except for the fact that when I jigged up the wing to put the dihedral in I never test fit the wing together with the spar joiners in place. I realized my mistake after glue was everywhere and figured that the cleanup and redo wasn't worth the effort to take out an extra degree or two of dihedral. At worst it should just cause a bit more dutch roll in gusts.

I posted this question in the other gee bee build thread but ill ask it here too.
Does anyone have any idea what the oddly bent rod in the last picture is for? It looks like a tailwheel wire gone wrong.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 01:28 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,721 Posts
Build looks good. Keep taking pictures and making posts.

Not sure what that rod is for, but itís hard to tell with it wrapped up in the plastic bag. Pull it out and see what it matches up to on the plans.

Iím surprised Sneasle hasnít chimed in here yet Ė heís a big Gee Bee fan.

Hogflyer
hogflyer is offline Find More Posts by hogflyer
Old Sep 25, 2008, 02:20 PM
USA, WA, Edmonds
Joined Aug 2008
1,883 Posts
There is nothing that the rod (the one in the center of the pic with the 45 degree bend) matches on the plans that I can find, and I've looked hard. Its near the same diameter as the tail wheel wire. Its also flat (the rod itself, not its cross section), so there are no bends that you cant see from the picture. I assume the kit was supposed to come with a tailwheel wire and im guessing that it would have been in the same bag with the rest of the landing gear rods but it wasn't in the kit.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:01 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
1,593 Posts
I have a GeeBee from Adrian just aching for me to build this winter!
Going to follow this build for sure.

I will look in my kit and see if that rod is there and what its for.
Xanadu is offline Find More Posts by Xanadu
Last edited by Xanadu; Sep 25, 2008 at 11:10 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:59 PM
USA, WA, Edmonds
Joined Aug 2008
1,883 Posts
do a search for "whats big fat red and fast" and you should get some hits from a few electric conversion builds from a year or two ago.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 01:09 AM
USA, WA, Edmonds
Joined Aug 2008
1,883 Posts
This post gets you up to date with my construction.

The fuselage build has gone well so far. There aren't many discrepancies or difficulties to report. I did accidentally not make sure that the hole in the rudder lined up with the hole in F8 so I had to cut out the other side of the rudder "root" so the control horn could go there. Some of the stringers were a little looser in their slots than I would have liked but a little medium CA filled the gaps. The rudder, elevator, and stab also needed a lot of CA to fill the gaps.

I figured out a little trick when beveling the nose section. Put some tape around the end of your sanding block. The balsa for F1 was very soft and sanded down very quickly, much quicker than the balsa sheeting on F2. So, when F1 is sanded down enough just slide the sanding block up so that the tape rubs on F1 and you still sand F2. This makes sure the bevel stays correct on both formers.

So far the hardest part has been sheeting the fin. Its a very tricky curvy area so the sheeting doesn't like to butt up nicely. I'm counting on a decent amount of filler to cover my mistakes.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 12:33 AM
Smoke & Fire
United States, TN, Maryville
Joined Jun 2001
215 Posts
Looks awsome keep the pics comming.
Naja Kaouthia is offline Find More Posts by Naja Kaouthia
Old Sep 29, 2008, 01:45 AM
USA, WA, Edmonds
Joined Aug 2008
1,883 Posts
No pics from today, but I got the 1/4 inch sheeting on the nose section complete. I used the steaming method to curve the 1/4 inch sheet pieces and it worked really really well. Just steam the pieces like corn for a about 5 min then bend them around something round. I found that a normal coffee mug worked perfectly. You don't even need to protect your hands from heat because the wood only feels warm when you take it out of the steamer.

I also installed the torque rod in the elevator. I never seem to get this right and had to twist the torque rod a little bit to get the elevator halves to sit flat.

Next steps are to bevel and hinge the elevator, temporarily install all the control surfaces, and mount the pushrod tubes.

One thing that I have noticed is that the side former where the sheeting meets the stringers is under tension and has split itself twice now. The balsa was extremely soft, prone to breaking, and I'm not the most careful with my models while building them. If the grain direction on the bottom fuselage isn't conducive to preventing this split then I will glue in some cross braces that go against the wood grain.
Last edited by bwalt822; Sep 29, 2008 at 01:54 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2008, 07:56 PM
USA, WA, Edmonds
Joined Aug 2008
1,883 Posts
I temporarily installed all of the control surfaces and mounted the servos for each one. I had to flex the pushrod tubes more than I would like but it didn't increase the friction that much and my servos should still have plenty of power. while there is plenty of room to mount the servos, the fact that they are so deep makes them difficult to adjust at times.

I wasn't happy with the flexing of the aileron control horn mount so i added some extra braces to help out a little.

I went with standard size servos in the wings and mounted them right into the wing ribs which proved to be sturdy enough.

Interestingly, I think the screws supplied with the kit that are used for the control horns are titanium. They don't stick to magnets, aren't aluminum and are the same color as my titanium ring.
Old Oct 05, 2008, 09:24 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
1,593 Posts
Excellent!................getting very inspired for my winter build of this one.
Xanadu is offline Find More Posts by Xanadu
Old Oct 05, 2008, 09:50 PM
USA, WA, Edmonds
Joined Aug 2008
1,883 Posts
Its a very nice kit to build so far, I started labor day weekend and have only worked on the weekends. Only slightly more difficult than a great planes extra 300s. Let me know if there is anything specific that you want to see and ill try to post pics of it.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 09:23 PM
USA, WA, Edmonds
Joined Aug 2008
1,883 Posts
Work completed this weekend was mounting the engine mounts, building the wing saddle, starting the cowl and starting the lower forward fuselage.

The formers that I talked about earlier split again so I put the reinforcements pictured below in.

I tried to use thin CA to fiberglass one of the the cowl joints but that was a big mess. I'll do the other one with epoxy.

The last major purchase for this airplane was completed in the form of an OS .75 AX engine. This thing is really tight and I can barely turn it over with my hands.