SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by tioli, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 04:16 PM
Peace
Kona, Hawaii
Joined Aug 2005
352 Posts
Discussion
Flying at Old Kona Airport

It was a crowded day at the Kona RC Fliers field. Most people came just to watch Matt maiden his Hanger 9 27% Extra. After countless minutes checking and rechecking, and marking the pre-flight sheets, Matt advanced the throttle and the Extra flew like it had had 30 previous flights. The plane was so stable and trimmed so perfectly that Matt tried a few four-point rolls, a little inverted flight and passes at all speed levels. The motor (DA-50) was flawless, no dead stick, no burbling, or hesitations. This is the first larger scale plane I've seen fly that didn't end with a dead stick!

I flew my Bonnie 20 (a discontinued Pelikan model) that i had used as a trainer way back when. I had put in a new power system so maidened that this morning. I really like the Bonnie. It's pretty in the air, and a blast to just shoot touch n goes with.

I also flew the Mini Titan in the Cobra fuselage. After last week's mishap, I changed the links and balls to the larger T-Rex 450 style. I also put the smaller T-Rex washout arms on the Mini Titan washout block. Everything worked fine, but it wasn't much fun to fly.

I saw the Parkzone Corsair fly for the first time. I'm not sure about it, I want to fly it myself. It seemed to have a tail heavy attitude, although I don't know the skills of the pilot, so I reserve judgment till I fly it myself.
tioli is offline Find More Posts by tioli
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2009, 01:57 PM
I'd Rather be flying
Indiana
Joined Sep 2005
56 Posts
Hi Tioli, I see that you also have the old Bonnie 20 I love mine and just had it up for the first time this year last Saturday she is a great flyer, here is a link to youtube of some footage of my flight
RC airplane Bonnie first flight of the 2009 flying season (4 min 0 sec)
lasher52 is offline Find More Posts by lasher52
Old Apr 23, 2009, 02:38 PM
Peace
Kona, Hawaii
Joined Aug 2005
352 Posts
Nice video. The Bonnie is a great airplane. Very pretty on approach. I love just shooting touch-n-goes.
Old Jan 07, 2010, 09:57 PM
Just For The Fun Of It
Boulder, CO
Joined Aug 2004
959 Posts
Tioli:

What days and times do you folks fly RC at the old airport at Kona? I'm an RC pilot (glow & slope) on the mainland and will be enjoying your warmth and humidity for a week starting Jan 16th.

RockyMtnFlyBoy (Greg)
Boulder, CO
Greg Hine is offline Find More Posts by Greg Hine
Old Jan 07, 2010, 10:21 PM
Peace
Kona, Hawaii
Joined Aug 2005
352 Posts
You got it right, except that flying at the Old Airport is only on Sunday now. And, yes the cinder cone near Kua Bay north of the airport on the left side of the road as you're going north. The West Hawaii Veterans Cemetery is on the right. There's a nice new paved road now to the left. As you are going down hill toward Kua Bay on the new road, go over three speed bumps then look for a turn out at the base of the hill, about 100 meters before the road turns hard right. Park anywhere there and look for a well worn trail through the trees and up the hill. There is someone there most days from 1:30 PM on, but the main action is Saturday around 1:30. Give me a call when you get here and we'll go flying.

Usually Weasels and Alulas are a guarantee often heavier wings.

Also check out Tioli; and Tagrrr and Flycyclist on RCGroups.

Hope to see you on the slope!

David
Old Jan 10, 2010, 05:47 PM
Just For The Fun Of It
Boulder, CO
Joined Aug 2004
959 Posts
Thank you for the reply, David. See my comments in a message on YouTube as I found that reply first.

... Greg
Greg Hine is offline Find More Posts by Greg Hine