SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by jokeane, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 02:45 PM
"Spark Chaser"
United States, WI, Middleton
Joined Jun 2004
351 Posts
Discussion
More flights, the good, the bad and the ugly

I've been trying to get in as much flying as possible. I've flown the Hyperion YAK 55SP 10e for around 6 flights now. I'm very happy with it, the power system is very good and the plane performs extremely well. The only draw back with the 10e size is landing on grass. Not that I cannot land it, it lands fine but it is very hard to keep from nosing over when the plane slows up. I've so far done only one 'perfect' landing where the Yak didn't nose over.

Yesterday I went to the field with all 5 of my planes. The day started well, with nearly calm conditions. I flew the Sopwith Camel first. It is a fun and very slow flying plane. Nice flight. Next was the Yak 55 SP 10e. Next up the Fokker D VII. Another fun little flight. I noticed it was starting to get a little gusty. But no problems so far.

My friend Dave showed up with the T-34. I watched him do a flight on it. He commented on the gusty conditions, but had no problems.

I took up my Sky Cat for a short flight, but when taxing back to the flight line I was probably going a bit fast, and caught a gust which cased the plane to take off. I was too low to clear the snow fence. The Sky Cat sustained minor damage. I'll have to remount the motor and re-attach the rudder. It is EPP foam, so it bounces well. :-)

My last flight of the day started out nice. I took the Brio up and had a nice flight with it, but I was really noticing the the wind gusts. As I was bringing in the Brio, the battery went completely flat. Since I was landing into the wind, this was NOT a good time for a strong gust, which slowed me down so much I just ran out of airspeed well short of the landing area. Stall. Crash. Then the long walk of dread. Damage was pretty bad, but perhaps is repairable. Ripped one wing completely off. Broke the prop. Bent the axle on one of the landing gear.
jokeane is offline Find More Posts by jokeane
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Le Fish aerobatic slope glider
to remove ads between posts