HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Model Aero, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 09:12 AM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,655 Posts
Discussion
Model Aero is in the House!!!

This is Scott DeTray with Model Aero www.modelaero.com Id like to take this opportunity to introduce myself and my company to the forum. No doubt some of you are familiar with Model Aero and I appreciate your support. Ill talk about a variety of topics so feel free to chime in with opinions and ideas!

I have been in and out of this great hobby for over 35 years. I started out with a Carl Goldberg Ranger 42 with a Galloping Ghost radio, hence my forum name. Cool Galloping Ghost Video! For those not familiar with GG radios, suffice to say they were a flapping nightmare, and I never was able to get the Ranger 42 flying under any sort of control. In fact, it took about 3 years of messing around before I was ever able to actually fly an RC model with any control. And that was with an ACE pulse single channel rig.

From there, I moved on to some other glow planes, helis, and cars. If it were radio controlled, my friend Peter Beck and I were into it!

Fast forward about 30 years, and I started seeing all these new electric planes exploding onto the scene. I had to try this, so I bought a GWS Tiger Moth. That little plane was about the most fun I ever had in the hobby. It was everything we dreamed RC would be when we were kids. Easy to fly, with no engine problems or mess. Just walk out in the yard and fly. What a concept!

After building and flying a few foamies, I saw a foamy design by Michael Connelly based on the BVM KingCat. I decided to build something similar, and it turned out to be the best flying foamy I had ever flown. And did I mention it was fast?! Just about everyone who saw it fly wanted one, so I decided to kit it. I called it the AeroCat, and Model Aero was born.

At the time, pusher jets were in their infancy. In fact, the AeroCat was the first pusher jet kit featuring printed graphics. It was an instant hit. The first show we did was the E-Fest in Champaign, IL in 2006. I had no idea what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised by the interest in our new prop jet! I was lucky enough to have Jeff Heitman fly the AeroCat for me at the E-Fest. He really put on a show!

Then, Mark Williams of Great Planes approached me about putting the AeroCat into Real Flight G3. I was blown away, but figured there was a catch, or that Id have to pay a hefty fee. He explained that they just thought the AeroCat was unique and different. They wanted to put my plane in G3 Expansion Pack 2!!! WOW, what a thrill!

Since then, Ive designed a couple other planes, and am proud to be a site sponsor here on RCG.

Regards,

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
Last edited by Model Aero; Sep 21, 2008 at 09:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts