HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2008, 10:49 AM
It flew...nearly!
Norway
Joined Apr 2006
1,941 Posts
Cool
MNG's Nikon 3700 World Tour - Post your pictures and videos here!

Finally we are under way!

Here are som guidelines/ideas courtesy of Tony (MNG) (slightly edited by me). It is up to each participant to decide how much time and energy they have available, the main purpose in my mind is to get as many participants involved as possible. Some people are into computers, the web etc. (I am not!). Some people just want to take pictures/videos and post them.

Aerial Photography World Tour
Thread can be found at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=883352
The "rules"
· Each participant to take responsibility of the camera and accessories from the time of arrival until the next pilot receives them.
· Please do not put yourself, the camera, others and property at risk. If the weather is bad don’t take the camera up. Please treat it with respect.
· This is not a race but timely transitions are key to ensure everyone gets an opportunity to participate.
· The camera is not be to lent out or flown by others unless it is first discussed in the official APWT thread at rcgroups.com
· When sending the transportation box please ensure that you choose a postage option that includes tracking and keep the tracking details until the package has been received by the next participant (It is ok for the camera/box to be hand delivered)
· If you have any questions that you do not wish to post in the forum please PM Duck!

Here are some ideas you might want to consider:

· Each participant to take at least 3 aerial photos or a video (preferably including a fly over with the participant in frame (please limit the video to 4 minutes). Participants are welcome to edit the video, add titles etc) on the Nikon 3700
· Each participant to take a receiving photo (in sympathy with the previous sending photo) of participant ‘receiving’ the transportation box
· Each participant to take a creative sending photo (that the next participant can create a receiving photo for) of participant ‘sending’ the transportation box
· Each participant to take a location shot (landmark, sign, place of interest) including the transportation box and the participant

Optional GPS tracker (thanks to Ralph Weaver). MNG camera only.
· Please read the instructions on the GPS CD BEFORE plugging the GPS into your USB port – part of the software MUST be installed prior to plugging it in for the first time

Sharing your photos/videos in RCGROUPS (2 options)
Simple (thumbnails displayed that link to larger images)
Add the photos/videos to a post in the APWT thread via the manage attachments option in RC Groups.

Complex (larger images displayed automatically)
· If you haven’t already, create an account at http://www.photobucket.com
· Or you can use the account Login APWT Password: flyingduck
· Please upload your chosen photos/videos (choose the option to reduce to 1024x768 or 800x600), once they are uploaded you will be asked to enter comments and titles. (NB Videos are limited to 5 minutes)
· The next step is to save and continue after which you will then be taken back to the main page.

· click in IMG Code below your first picture (which will copy the code required onto your clipboard, then you will need to go back to the RCGroups APWT thread and paste that code into a message, you can repeat that for each of the images you want to display, then when you post that message the photos will be inserted directly and at the size you opted for when uploading them.

Creativity and humour are strongly encouraged! Quirkiness is a good thing!

Any questions please do not hesitate to contact Duck!

Thanks for your participation

Tony (MisterNiceGuy) and Matthew (Duck!)

Please use this thread purely for posting your pictures and videos. That way we can see where we are at nice and quick. As a title for your post, please include your alias and your location.

A note about the servo trigger: I have installed a brand new servo for triggering the camera. How long it will last I don't know, but it will die quickly if the following procedure isn't adhered to:

Adjust the end travel adjustment for the channel you will be using to trigger the servo to a couple of percent so that it just moves slightly when activated. You can adjust the servo direction and travel amount from there until it reliably triggers the servo without putting undue stress on the servo. If you activate the servo without having adjusted the travel to a couple of percent it will probably whack over to max and burn itself, strip the threads or damage the shutter button. If the servo has died when you receive the camera, please replace it. I have epoxyed the plywood plate onto the camera, but the servo is hopefully attached with servo tape or hot glue when you get it so it should be easy to remove with a sharp xacto knife. Thanks!

Here's a list of the participants. If I've left you out or you are a latecomer, PM me and I'll put you on the list!

As the missions are completed I will update the post. Green "Mission accomplished" have been done with the Duck!Cam, magenta "Mission accomplished" with MNGCam.

Oceania
MNG, Blue Mountains, Australia (co-organiser)

Europe
Duck, Norway (co-organiser): Mission Accomplished!

CFE, Norway. Mission Accomplished!

jsirkia, Turku, Finland. Mission Accomplished!

Icebear, Helsingborg, Sweden. Mission Accomplished!

Bujora, Romania. Mission Accomplished!

EyP3, Austria. Mission Accomplished!!

bobber, France. Mission Accomplished!

marckossa, France. Mission Accomplished!!

Stinkweed, Wiesbaden, Germany. Mission Accomplished!!

Chargenut, Surrey, UK. Mission Accomplished!!

Hogster, Surrey, UK. Mission Accomplished!!

GordonTarling, Uxbridge, UK. Mission Accomplished!!

Gary Mortimer, UK. Mission Accomplished!!

Swanlander, Lancashire, UK. Mission Accomplished!!

Canada Goose, UK. Mission Accomplished!!

arrow5, Scotland. Mission Accomplished!!

cvandenb, Mission Accomplished!!

pablo_27, Chatham, Kent, UK.Mission Accomplished!!

Asia
joshidharmesh, India. Mission Accomplished!!

USA
Tychoc, Texas, USA. Mission accomplished!

txflyboys2, Texas, USA. Mission accomplished!

Vpatron – California, USA. Mission accomplished!

California Condor, Ca, USA. Mission accomplished!

Real Ira, Washington, USA. Mission accomplished!

Yank51, Georgia, USA. Mission accomplished!

xidkid, Illinois. Mission accomplished!

Canada
nikivan, Vancouver, British Columbia. Mission accomplished!

ggtronic, Montreal. Mission accomplished!

watssup_KZ, Michigan, USA. Mission accomplished!

CanopicJar, Ohio, USA. Mission accomplished!

Oops, camera crashed!

NoControl1, Florida, USA. Mission accomplished!

airflap, Boston, USA. Mission accomplished!

Soft2 , Vermont, USA. Mission accomplished!

Jesolins, Texas, USA. Snail mail received.

What's in the Duck!Cam box?

For discussions, suggestions or anything else than pictures/video and feedback, please use the original thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=883352

I forgot to include the cable that allows you to connect the camera to a live downfeed, I will forward it to the next person on the list so they can stick it in the box.

I shall edit this first post as appropriate as we move on.

Blue skies,
Matthew
Duck! is offline Find More Posts by Duck!
Last edited by Duck!; Feb 15, 2010 at 10:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2008, 10:52 AM
It flew...nearly!
Norway
Joined Apr 2006
1,941 Posts
Kick off flight from Bergen, Norway, by Duck!

We are off!

Click on the Vimeo banner for better quality video:

Kick off flight for MNG's Nikon 3700 World Tour (6 min 39 sec)

The camera is now on it's way to CFE7 in Bodø, Northern Norway.

Matthew
Last edited by Duck!; Sep 21, 2008 at 04:36 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 11:08 AM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
The video quality is excellent. Nice flying and nice catch too The Nikon's reaction to the direct sun isn't too bad at all.
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Old Sep 27, 2008, 04:53 PM
Flying Kiwi
Blue Mountains, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
1,271 Posts
Fantastic stuff Duck!! Nice creative video very much in keeping with the whole philosophy of the tour - Takk indeed for kicking off this tour. I don't know, sign writing might be on the cards so to speak, that was a good 'un!

I am excited to think of what creative efforts we get from the participants. I hope that each pilot feeds off the enthusiasm and creative energy of the previous participants.

I am back in the Blue Mountains now and hope to cobble together some footage to post here. (still not back on my feet but things are slowly looking brighter).

MNG
MisterNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by MisterNiceGuy
Old Sep 28, 2008, 01:33 PM
Helsingborg, Sweden
Joined Sep 2001
1,813 Posts
Nice work Matthew!

Good to see that the project is running and I hope to be able to partciate before the winter !

/Bjorn aka Icebear
icebear is offline Find More Posts by icebear
Old Oct 02, 2008, 02:56 PM
Failureisalwaysanoption
Norway
Joined Nov 2006
149 Posts
First contribution

I was the first to receive the camera from Matthew since we both live in Norway. I got the equipment home Thursday evening last week. Friday morning we had a terrible storm here. The wind and heavy rain lasted until Tuesday.
I finally got out at Tuesday afternoon in a beautiful weather. Of course Murphy was present that day.

First I struggled 15 minutes to get my receiver up and ready to go. Then one of my aileron servos died, fixed it and one of the ESCs died, fixed it and the battery somehow lost juice, replaced it and a terrible wind came and forced me down (man was I crazy at that point ).
I was flying over salt water and would not risk anything, so I went home with just 5 pictures. Three of them turned out to be OK.

I was told to keep the camera another day until the next participant was ready, and that gave me an opportunity to give it one more try today. I went outside town to a field with beautiful view to the west where one can see the Lofoten islands………. Well, the wind was so strong that my brushless TwinStar had problems to go anywhere even at full power. It nearly blew out to the sea before I got it down again.
Again only three pictures were OK.

I also discovered that hot glue will not stick to plastic in cold weather. The servo separated from the camera. I have now replaced the glue with ultra strong double sided tape from 3M. The servo will not go anywhere for a long time. There is also spare tape in the box.
I will try to get more pictures until I`m told to bring the camera to the post office one of these days.
cfe7 is offline Find More Posts by cfe7
Last edited by cfe7; Oct 02, 2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2008, 04:53 AM
It flew...nearly!
Norway
Joined Apr 2006
1,941 Posts
Well done cfe7! Great pictures and full marks for perseverance! Thanks also for fixing the servo!

I have mailed the next persons address to you, it should be heading to Finland and then over to Icebear in Sweden afterwards.

Cheers,
matthew
Old Oct 05, 2008, 09:13 PM
Braila, Romania
Joined Oct 2007
273 Posts
Wow !!! Well done cfe7 ! I know it was worth waiting so long for this tour to happen ! The pictures are powerful and really serving the purpose of a world tour !
For a few moments, I was there on the beach , breathing strong Norwegian air and fighting to get the pictures !

Hope to see some more amazing pictures before winter !
bujora is offline Find More Posts by bujora
Old Oct 06, 2008, 06:04 AM
Failureisalwaysanoption
Norway
Joined Nov 2006
149 Posts
Nice to know you liked the pictures bujora. I was not to happy with the results myself. To much wind and not enough light. We have a lot of beautiful scenery here, but it’s to risky flying there in bad weather (downdraft, turbulence etc). This is definitely not the right season for AP.
Luckily I have “my own” thread on this forum http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=927664
I will update it later, but it could be February until we have enough light and calm weather for more activity.
I still have my Canon G9 which I find excellent for this purpose.
cfe7 is offline Find More Posts by cfe7
Old Oct 26, 2008, 11:55 PM
Braila, Romania
Joined Oct 2007
273 Posts
So...where is the camera, guys ? It's been a lot of time since cfe7 made his pictures !
From Duck's last post I understand that the camera is heading toward Finland ? Mail problems, customs ?!?!? Is it lost ? I suspect it is already too late for Icebear to get good pictures in his area !
Old Oct 27, 2008, 02:33 AM
Electronic juggler
Joined Jan 2004
208 Posts
It's here!

The camera took two weeks to get from Norway to Finland but it's here now. We've been having storms here lately, some wind is okay as I'm hanging the camera from a kite but these winds would just blow me and my kite all the way to Russia and the rain doesn't do wonders either. Anyway, the weather cleared this morning, as soon as I can take some time off work today I'll head out.

And I'm around 500km more north than icebear, so if there's light here then there should be light in Helsingborg as well.

-Jussi
jsirkia is offline Find More Posts by jsirkia
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:22 AM
Helsingborg, Sweden
Joined Sep 2001
1,813 Posts
I am ready whenever you are Jussi!
We have had three weeks of bad weather here too, but it is looking better now - albeit a little colder!

/Björn
icebear is offline Find More Posts by icebear
Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:20 AM
Braila, Romania
Joined Oct 2007
273 Posts
Good news guys !
Wish you good weather !
By the way....maybe you can post some pictures of your AP platform too ! At the end of the tour we might have an interesting collection !

Aries
Old Oct 28, 2008, 04:01 PM
Electronic juggler
Joined Jan 2004
208 Posts
Oh for the love of...

I just finished writing my message and was going to up the pics when the cursed browser just up and disappeared from my screen.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 04:23 PM
Electronic juggler
Joined Jan 2004
208 Posts
Ok, shorter version this time:

The first flight was last Thursday close to the castle of Turku, built in the 13th century at the mouth of river Aura running through the town, which used to be the capital back then. The castle is now a museum. On the sea side of the castle is the docks where huge passenger ferries depart to Stockholm, Sweden. On the other river bank there used to be a shipyard until 1989, now the cranes are protected and new apartments are planned there. I had my friend Antti with me on this session, he was the camera operator and I took care of the kite.

Yesterday I had a go at shooting the dam upstream of town, but gale force wind from an unsuitable direction rendered all pics useless. The dam has 400V, 10kV and 110kV lines very close to it so wind direction is everything here, otherwise one tends to stay further away.

Today I had a solo mission shooting from the neighbor town into my home town. The place is a marina with a full view to the new(er) shipyard of Turku, where they build the world's biggest passenger ships. The one under work will have a full grown park inside it with trees and all, the length of the ship is 360m (1200ft). You can read more about it at http://www.oasisoftheseas.com/ . Unfortunately looking at the ship was also looking straight at the rising sun, but I still managed some decent shots. The sun also lit the marina nicely so I took some pics that way.

The equipment consists of a self sewn 2 x 2,4m rokkaku kite, self made camera rig (made for a DSLR), 250m of line (100-150 used on the shoots) and a climbing harness for fixing the line to my body. This thing pulls like a horse when the wind is up.

This was a nice experience, with a strange camera, need to find good subjects etc. Thanks for letting me be a part of the tour! Hopefully all goes well for the rest of the it. The camera should be with Björn on Thursday or Friday.

-Jussi