HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2008, 09:05 PM
Buildin' fool
Queensbury New York
Joined Dec 2006
1,240 Posts
Build Log
TF Stinson Reliant SR9 build

Okay, I love warbirds. But lately, I've felt the need for a change. My top Flite Stinson Reliant came via UPS yesterday, and I was able to get a start on her tonight. I've had very good luck with TF kits, the wood quality is the tops, but the plastic....I'd gladly pay the few bucks extra I'm going to pay to order after market cowlings, etc, anyway to have the fiberglass parts included in the kit, then having to shell out the extra clams for the parts later, but thats another topic. anyhoo...

I was able to look over the materials, and the plans. And I'm very excited to get this kit under way. I checked out a few build threads and they're extremely helpful. the jist I'm getting is she's a tough build, but the end product and flights are well worth the effort. If anyone has built this kit, and has any input, Please feel free to chime in........We thank you in advance.

Lets begin!
Twinwarbirdflier is offline Find More Posts by Twinwarbirdflier
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2008, 04:16 PM
Nothing like a good WOODIE!
USA, DE, Newark
Joined Jun 2005
1,662 Posts
I am signing in, I picked up a kit this past summer at a great price and hope to get to it some time this winter. I too have read all the build threads and have made notes as to the problems and fixes with the kit, specifically the landing gear mounts being to weak.

Great start with the kit, can't wait to see more

cooper998
cooper998 is offline Find More Posts by cooper998
Old Sep 20, 2008, 04:27 PM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,834 Posts
Subscribed! Good luck on the build. She's a monster of a build, but a lot of fun along the way! Be glad to help any way I can
Steve Merrill is offline Find More Posts by Steve Merrill
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2008, 05:35 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,569 Posts
Have fun with the build, Phil. You shouldn't have any trouble with it.

What are you planning for power ?

You'll soon see that there is a lot of enjoyment to be had in building civilian models. I know I like building them, myself.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Sep 22, 2008, 04:59 PM
Buildin' fool
Queensbury New York
Joined Dec 2006
1,240 Posts
Hey Guys, I havent made any choice on power as of yet. I know I want to go gas. Having built and flown yours, what do you guys have in yours, and or what would you recommend?
Old Sep 22, 2008, 09:21 PM
Buildin' fool
Queensbury New York
Joined Dec 2006
1,240 Posts
The instructions call to sheet the stab if you choose to use a higher powered engine. I plan on flying her scale, not to radical, so I sheeted only the bottom of the stab. this'll give more of a scale look on top.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 07:17 AM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,834 Posts
I would sheet the top as well.

I used a US Engines 41. Plenty of power, but too heavy. If I were to build one again, I would go with a lighter engine, but still keep the power. There are many new light and powerful engines on the market today
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2008, 07:24 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,569 Posts
I agree. Sheet the stab. You can use cap strips to give that "scale" look.

X-craft's SR-9 flys very well on a G-38. A G-26 might work well, too.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 02:58 PM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,834 Posts
You need to swing a 20 inch prop about 7,000 RPM. That combo works great for my 24lbs Stinson.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2008, 07:32 AM
Love the Jugs
Kingsley Mi.
Joined Jun 2006
947 Posts
Tom is correct, the G-38 flies this plane great using an 18-10 prop. I cruise around at half throttle a lot of the time. I did have to add some lead in the tail but not that much, I put it in the tail wheel shroud so it's easy to access to add or remove if necessary.
x-craft is offline Find More Posts by x-craft
Old Sep 24, 2008, 07:36 PM
Buildin' fool
Queensbury New York
Joined Dec 2006
1,240 Posts
Thanks guys.... I'll need a G62 for the Corsair, so might as well give Zenoah my bizness.

I was able to get the elevators started last night. Not worth a pic. I'll post when theyre done.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 02:11 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,569 Posts
Phil, When buying Zenoah, give B&B Specialties a chance. http://bennettbuilt.com/

I've been dealing with them for 15 years, without problems. Dick Bennett is a great guy to work with, and very knowlegeable about these engines. He han answer any questions that you may have.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 04:13 PM
Buildin' fool
Queensbury New York
Joined Dec 2006
1,240 Posts
Will Do! Going be a while though. Prolly Jan, Feb or so......
Old Sep 26, 2008, 10:21 AM
Vintage Flyer
Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump
Phil, When buying Zenoah, give B&B Specialties a chance. http://bennettbuilt.com/

I've been dealing with them for 15 years, without problems. Dick Bennett is a great guy to work with, and very knowlegeable about these engines. He han answer any questions that you may have.

I'll second you on this Tom!
Dick does excellent work, and his engines run silk smooth!
My Dad had bought a G62(brand new) from a local hobby shop and it simply didn't run correctly. Dad took it up to Dick Bennett one day ( drove up to his shop) and Dick spent some time on it and it ran absolutely beautifully after that! Still does!
I have a G26 I bought from Dick Bennett at Toledo a few years back and it's a great engine!
So if any of you guys have problems with these engines, get in touch with Dick Bennett.

Ed
Ercoupe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Ercoupe Ed
Old Sep 26, 2008, 10:45 AM
Vintage Flyer
Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,674 Posts
I thought maybe you guys would enjoy this picture of a real full scale one. Notice in the background( just off and under the right wing) the Yellow and Red Stinson between the fuel truck and the cowling of this airplane.
That airplane was flown By Jimmy Doolittle when he worked for Shell Oil Company
Ercoupe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Ercoupe Ed