HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2008, 11:47 PM
I just want to fly
USA, IN, Jeffersonville
Joined Aug 2008
690 Posts
Mini-HowTo
GET THE PAPER OFF!! calling all fellow dollar tree/elmers foamboard users

I don't know if this is new but i kinda stumbled apon it..I use my alcohol as usual and this time it left the little thin layer of paper.You know that thin layer just enough to get you real .. Well i was like here we go again.I started to rub it leaving rub marks then i thought hmmm.... i reached under the kitchen sink and grabed Mr. Clean's magic eraser turned on the water started to rub and it all came off within 2 mins.

It works great i dont know if its new but i thought id share a trick that i did.i still have enough eraser to do 20 or more foam boards
justwanttofly is offline Find More Posts by justwanttofly
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2008, 10:35 AM
Strathmore, Alberta Canada
Joined Jan 2004
848 Posts
another thing that works really good is from lee valley they have finger nail scrubbers that work great I Use a tub from wallmart and soak the peices in the garage pull most of the paper off then use tis brush under the water to finish the deal off
nickrage is offline Find More Posts by nickrage
Old Sep 26, 2008, 04:16 PM
"Hobby Apparatus" Flyer
Oxford, PA
Joined Aug 2003
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justwanttofly
I don't know if this is new but i kinda stumbled apon it..I use my alcohol as usual and this time it left the little thin layer of paper.You know that thin layer just enough to get you real .. Well i was like here we go again.I started to rub it leaving rub marks then i thought hmmm.... i reached under the kitchen sink and grabed Mr. Clean's magic eraser turned on the water started to rub and it all came off within 2 mins.

It works great i dont know if its new but i thought id share a trick that i did.i still have enough eraser to do 20 or more foam boards
Hey, that's pretty neat if it works. I think I have one of those, I'll have to try it out. Thanks for the tip
Mikey C. is offline Find More Posts by Mikey C.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 04:27 PM
"It's a Quad" :O
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
Or you can let the foamboard sit and completely dry. About 45 minutes. the paper and all that nasty stuff will fall right off.
thewz is offline Find More Posts by thewz
Old Sep 26, 2008, 05:47 PM
Joined May 2008
144 Posts
How thick is this stuff? I've been tempted to stop at the DT on my way home a few times but I've got over half a thing of FFF sitting around. I really like the FFF but my only problem is the waves in it. If the DT stuff is around 6mm I might switch.
jbarr2000 is offline Find More Posts by jbarr2000
Old Sep 26, 2008, 06:59 PM
Starting to Rebuild
Fayetteville NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,028 Posts
Roughly about 3/16" maybe less. It's good stuff but I like the depron.
Wingnut31 is offline Find More Posts by Wingnut31
Old Sep 27, 2008, 01:02 AM
Joined Oct 2004
450 Posts
I peeled a piece today and it measured 4mm without the paper.
adamdb is offline Find More Posts by adamdb
Old Sep 27, 2008, 01:48 AM
"It's a Quad" :O
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarr2000
How thick is this stuff? I've been tempted to stop at the DT on my way home a few times but I've got over half a thing of FFF sitting around. I really like the FFF but my only problem is the waves in it. If the DT stuff is around 6mm I might switch.
It's less than .25 inches more like 4.5MM
thewz is offline Find More Posts by thewz
Old Sep 27, 2008, 02:13 AM
Indiana
Joined Nov 2004
626 Posts
On my dollartree foam I get around 4.5mm with the paper on and 4.3 mm with it off.

The trick to depaper it is to wet out the paper with alcohol and then let it completely dry.
OnGuard is offline Find More Posts by OnGuard
Old Sep 27, 2008, 04:17 AM
1 paycheck away from homeless
United States, KS
Joined Mar 2006
4,574 Posts
I've not done A LOT of foam board work because I didn't like it. I thought it was just floppy & weak. But what worked the best for me to get the paper off was to fill the bath tub half way up with really warm water & stick the foam in there to soak for a couple of hours with something to weigh it down & submerge it. After a while the paper just peeled right off in little pieces. It was a pain to clean the tub afterward & the wife did a lot of griping but it gave me results.
ghostmechanic is offline Find More Posts by ghostmechanic
Old Sep 27, 2008, 06:18 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,373 Posts
Just buy yourself a few sheets of EPP foam 18 x 36 for like $5.00 a sheet 9mm thick 1.9# and your good for a long time.
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
Old Sep 27, 2008, 11:22 AM
President, RC Dusters
Sandwich, IL
Joined Nov 2006
340 Posts
Another tried-and-true method is to put the foamboard in a large garbage bag, pour in a couple ounces of rubbing alcohol, and seal the bag. Give it a few shakes to get the alcohol on the board, then let it sit overnight. Open and peel.

I am told this works like a charm.
gfdengine204 is offline Find More Posts by gfdengine204