SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 30, 2008, 12:41 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,181 Posts
oops - my bad. Sprocket was the name of the dog on Fraggle Rock .
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2008, 12:05 PM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
United States, OR, Mt Angel
Joined Jan 2008
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71
C'mon... it's Bert&Ernie OR Tiger & Pooh... you can't just mix Sesame Street with Hundred-Acre Forest!!!

Other acceptable options include Snoopy&Woodstock, Wallace& Sprocket, Mickey&Minnie... etc.

I found another good source for furry critter "pilots" is finger-puppets... which already have no legs or stuffing - so they weigh almost nothing. For instance, I have a pair of tigers for my GWS TM400, and a brown bear for my Piper Cub.

Looking good - keep the pics coming!
I was looking for Goofy but no luck. Since this is an election year I wanted to represent both Democrats and Republicans. Guess which one is which!

Had a few delays in my build... The weather has been so nice I had to fly!
I dumped all the hardware that came with the plane. (junk)
I went with 70LB stainless steal fishing leader for the flying wires (Toothy Critter) and Sullivan Gold-N Clevises. Will also make up new push rods and clevises for the Ailerons.

I got the motor and speed control mounted and should have the AR6200 in today. I hope to be finished next week.
D.B. Hooper is offline Find More Posts by D.B. Hooper
Last edited by #1Crash Tester; Oct 09, 2008 at 05:35 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 12:03 PM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
Joined Jan 2008
1,436 Posts
I did some tests with my Watts up meter and the A123 10s with 20x10 prop. : 890 wp 29.6AP 29.9VM

After making a few 10 sec full throttle runs it was putting out around 700 watts.

Looking at the review in Fly RC Nov issue I see in the specs they have listed:, 10s lipo 58amps, 2186.6 watts.

My question will 890 watts fly the 11.4 pound Tiger Moth?
Last edited by #1Crash Tester; Oct 15, 2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 09:32 PM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
Joined Jan 2008
1,436 Posts
My question will 890 watts fly the 11.4 pound Tiger Moth?[/QUOTE]

OK I hooked up two more cells for a total of 12 cells.
1558 watts 51 amps. This will definitely fly this plane! I thought it would break my hold down rope!
Old Oct 15, 2008, 10:18 PM
Jungmeister 55
Orlando Herndon, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2002
3,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Crash Tester
My question will 890 watts fly the 11.4 pound Tiger Moth?
OK I hooked up two more cells for a total of 12 cells.
1558 watts 51 amps. This will definitely fly this plane! I thought it would break my hold down rope![/QUOTE]

Crash Tester,

Here's a fairly time proven rule of thumb to figure out the watts per pound required for different styles of flying depending on the type airplane:

50 watts/lb...for scale like flying on airplanes of the style of the J-3 CUB, Aeronca Champ, tame biplanes like the Tiger Moth.

70 watts/lb...for sport like flying and realistic aerobatics. Planes like the E-Flite Pulse, scale aerobatic biplanes, warbirds with scale like flying characteristics.

100 watts/lb...extreme aerobatics like Pitts Specials, Extras etc, 3D like the Funtana,

So, based on this, your priginal 890 watts would equate to 78 watts/lb. (890 divided by 11.4 pounds) which would give you great performance while keeping your amps low.

I hope this helps.

Gerry.
simano is offline Find More Posts by simano
Old Oct 15, 2008, 10:34 PM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
I highly doubt that 100 watts / lb will do 3D or other "extreme" aerobatics, but for sure will fly the plane nicely .
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old Oct 16, 2008, 09:54 PM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
Joined Jan 2008
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDoc
I highly doubt that 100 watts / lb will do 3D or other "extreme" aerobatics, but for sure will fly the plane nicely .
Thanks for the input everyone

I'm fairly new to this hobby (noob) I skipped a lot work this year and got in three years of flying in one spring and summer. I started out with an Air Hog from the toy store and ended up with the Tiger Moth

I can't believe it fit in my car!
Old Oct 19, 2008, 12:55 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDoc
That all depends on how much of that 100w/lb. is being converted to usable thrust, I'd imagine.

That said, 100w/lb. would still be way overkill for such a design as this. My big GP electric PT-17 flies just fine, with reasonable 'normal' aerobatic capability, at a calculated 76w/lb at WOT (not needed very often), at 12.9 lb. AUW.

I suspect the Moth would fly very scalelike on 50-60 w/lb. It ain't an Ultimate, or a Pitts, or a YAK 54. It never ceases to amaze me why people insist on obscenely overpowering these old classic biplanes as if they were.

Just my 2c.

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Last edited by ElectRick; Oct 19, 2008 at 01:01 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 02:17 PM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
Joined Jan 2008
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectRick
That all depends on how much of that 100w/lb. is being converted to usable thrust, I'd imagine.

That said, 100w/lb. would still be way overkill for such a design as this. My big GP electric PT-17 flies just fine, with reasonable 'normal' aerobatic capability, at a calculated 76w/lb at WOT (not needed very often), at 12.9 lb. AUW.

I suspect the Moth would fly very scalelike on 50-60 w/lb. It ain't an Ultimate, or a Pitts, or a YAK 54. It never ceases to amaze me why people insist on obscenely overpowering these old classic biplanes as if they were.

Just my 2c.

Rick
2100 watts is Hobby Lobbys recommendation for the Tiger Moth. I plan on flying this plane in a scale like fashion.

When I did my bench test 800 watts had lots of pull.
I'm thinking I might get longer flight times with the 12sA123 flying in scale like manor. In The Fly RC test they where getting 20+ Min. If I can get 10 Min's with the 12sA123 that's fine for me.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 03:03 PM
Just south of Cambridge, UK
Joined Oct 2003
982 Posts
100W/lb for 3D, no thanks im a 300W/lb man
edible_engine is offline Find More Posts by edible_engine
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:12 AM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Crash Tester
2100 watts is Hobby Lobbys recommendation for the Tiger Moth. I plan on flying this plane in a scale like fashion.
That works out to 147 w/lb. for HL's advertised AUW for the plane (14.25 lb.).

There are many purpose-built 3D planes that don't have that kind of power loading. Is it overkill for a scale Golden Age biplane trainer? You bet it is, by at least double.

Of course, such a grossly overestimated recommended power loading certainly facilitates HL selling you a bigger motor, ESC, and battery, doesn't it?

There's a method to their madness.

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Old Oct 29, 2008, 05:19 PM
merced ca
Joined Jan 2004
24 Posts
Hi CT, Have you got the Moth up yet? How is the combo motor ,esc and batterys doing? I have been doing some homework on motors, 123, esc, that can carry the load, voltage, and other problems that might come up with a system to get this airplane up and away. Let us know whats up. Thanks for the post-pictures and all the infor you have shared so far with us. Jim
jimsstuff1 is offline Find More Posts by jimsstuff1
Old Oct 30, 2008, 10:08 PM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
Joined Jan 2008
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsstuff1
Hi CT, Have you got the Moth up yet? How is the combo motor ,esc and batterys doing? I have been doing some homework on motors, 123, esc, that can carry the load, voltage, and other problems that might come up with a system to get this airplane up and away. Let us know whats up. Thanks for the post-pictures and all the infor you have shared so far with us. Jim

Sorry to leave everyone hanging. Been busy flying my Reactor Bipe
Between work and goofing off I did make some progress. I put in a JR charge switch jack, ESC switch, receiver battery. After running my A123's dead in my Pulse 60 I'll be using receiver batteries in all my planes. I use 2.4 Spektrum AR6200.
Just need to do some fine tuning here and there.
I have a Xoar wood prop coming along with some scale gages for the dash.
I'll have my first flight on video.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 12:11 AM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
Joined Jan 2008
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsstuff1

Well it took me a while to get this bird in the air! Got busy with a few other projects

I took a few quick clips of the first two flights I made today.

I flew with 10c A123. It did ok on the 10c but I was at 3/4 throttle a lot. I think I'll try12c A123 next time out.
Still have some fine tuning to do but all in all it flew great! Very easy take off and landing.

Tiger moth 1st flight (0 min 31 sec)

Tiger Moth 1st landing (0 min 15 sec)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zlb9...e=channel_page
Last edited by #1Crash Tester; Feb 22, 2009 at 01:13 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 08:52 PM
Santee, CA.
Joined May 2006
376 Posts
Crash,

My buddy and I built a 72" 12lb Dymond Tiger Moth a few months back w/ similar thrust and amps as yours and it flies like a trainer .

Good job.

RC 72" Dymond Tiger Moth Biplane (2 min 17 sec)
santeepat is offline Find More Posts by santeepat