HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2003, 07:04 AM
Joined Dec 2002
16 Posts
Sarted building gws p-51. Whats the best tip you have for me? Thanks!

the subject heading says it all. What are the best mods that you did to your p-51 mustang, while building it, that really made it great? I am leaving to meet up with the Orlando GWS Squadron on Saturday morning and would like it completed by then. Should i not use the screw attaching method for the wing? I opted for landing gear, but should i change that and make it a belly lander? I understand there are other post concerning p51 builds, but i would like a general consenus of the best things to do. Thanks guys!
Michael
liaudio is offline Find More Posts by liaudio
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2003, 07:23 AM
plane crazy
Northport, NY
Joined Dec 2002
2,196 Posts
My impression of the stang is that it is a very well designed kit. Any choices like gear/ no gear or rubber bands or not is personal preference and I have seen the work well both ways.

Personally I opted to have a belly lander. If you do this method make sure to line the belly and scoop with packing tape. I also opted to use the screw method for the wing. Its a cleaner look and the way I figured if I rip it out or work it loose after repeated bad landings I can always switch to the rubber band method.

Any other ideas guys?
av8rOC is offline Find More Posts by av8rOC
Old Feb 12, 2003, 07:25 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=92392

The above thread is just many threads that deal with the build of the famous GWS P-51D Mustang.

Here some more.......
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=89364

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=88301

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=87740

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=87190

Okay, it really is a personal choice to have landing gear or not and to either have retracts if you do go landing gear. The rubber band mount is a way not to crack up the FUSE for those that do land on their belly so, it really depends on what you decide.

If I were you, I would read as much as I could to make a good choice.

Ask yourself these questions.

1. Do I like a light plane that can stay up longer?
2. Do I like scale like take offs and landings with gear?
3. DO I have a place to take-off and land in a nice hard surface.
4. Do I have a nice grass field to belly flop if I decide no landing gear?
5. Do I like a very fast plane? If so, I need to reinforce it, causes weight and stress on airframe!

I hope this helps.
Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Feb 12, 2003, 11:41 AM
laguna niguel, So Cal
Joined Dec 1999
282 Posts
Keep the cg at the recommended location and use a 9x7 prop if you use a 8 cell nimh pack
k2rick is offline Find More Posts by k2rick
Old Feb 12, 2003, 12:08 PM
Is it summer yet?
Flight Level 46 X 92
Joined Feb 2002
1,993 Posts
here is another page with some info.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=92392
gouda is offline Find More Posts by gouda
Old Feb 12, 2003, 01:16 PM
Inbox is almost full
Long Island, New York
Joined Nov 2002
1,679 Posts
Mike,

The best tip I can give you is don't fool around and crash it on your first flight.

Your notorious for inverted flights and landings 10 feet above ground.

If you want, I can take a look at it and check the CG for you before you go to Florida. Let me know.

Also, last I spoke to you, you only had rudder and ailerons controlling it. You need elevator. Rudder isn't required.
LESLIEx317537 is offline Find More Posts by LESLIEx317537
Old Feb 12, 2003, 02:04 PM
plane crazy
Northport, NY
Joined Dec 2002
2,196 Posts
Quote:
If you want, I can take a look at it and check the CG for you before you go to Florida. Let me know. Also, last I spoke to you, you only had rudder and ailerons controlling it. You need elevator. Rudder isn't required.

Don't worry Les he'll be in good hands.....

(taps fingertips together like mr. burns) EXXXCELENT
av8rOC is offline Find More Posts by av8rOC
Old Feb 12, 2003, 03:50 PM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,713 Posts
I opened up the batt compartment before gluing together, used a pull-pull system on the rudder, changed out the wheels for some foam wheels, and of course did retracts, oh yea a BL astro 010.
dave morris is offline Find More Posts by dave morris
Old Feb 12, 2003, 06:45 PM
Joined Dec 2002
16 Posts
no inverted flight 10' above ground?!?!?!??!?!

c'mon lesx537! You think im gonna goof around with this plane? Well....you are probably right, but i still want to build it correctly. I will leave the un-building up to gravity. But anyway, thanks guys. Especially guapoman.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 07:08 PM
Joined Dec 2002
16 Posts
well...im not using retracts......

i am not using retracts, and its not a belly lander. The above links really seemed to give advice for those using that sort of set-up. Also, what should i do if i need to add cooling passages or move the battery foward now that i have the fuse halves together? Will i need a more foward cg if im not using retracts?
THANKS. cant wait to crash...errr....ummm... i mean FLY her!
Old Feb 12, 2003, 10:37 PM
Is it summer yet?
Flight Level 46 X 92
Joined Feb 2002
1,993 Posts
The CG should be in the same place regardless of the retracts or any other feature you may or may not add. there has been lots of discussion about the CG location since the model became available. I think the general concencus now is that it should be near the factory location. Mine is about 3/8's ahead of the spar and it flys fine. Although some people are flying with it up to 3/4's ahead of the spar. A bit ahead of the recommended location is a safe way to start, then move it back a bit at a time as you get used to it.
gouda is offline Find More Posts by gouda