Closed Thread
Old Sep 16, 2008, 03:32 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
USA, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Dec 2006
4,040 Posts
Trader Rating: 70
Discussion
Hey. Hey, Hey, It looks like Ebay is finally getting tired........

of getting screwed on the seller fees because of those sellers that sell items on there for like $1.00, but then charge $50.00 shipping & handling fees.

I posted some books and other stuff on ebay and now, when you put down a shipping price, it will pop up with a warning saying that as of October the most you will be able to charge for shipping on this item will be $4.00 or $3.50 or...........

I'm assuming that they have changed their minds on the Paypal only issue because they are still letting me post stuff with money order only as payment.
mtdoramike is offline Find More Posts by mtdoramike
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2008, 06:55 PM
I meant to do that
Eagle Mountain, Utah
Joined Jul 2004
1,423 Posts
Trader Rating: 32
I hope its true.
littlewing78 is offline Find More Posts by littlewing78
Old Sep 16, 2008, 07:43 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Trader Rating: 286
I hope it's true also.

I hate sellers that try to make profit off of the shipping price...
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old Sep 16, 2008, 08:28 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
USA, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Dec 2006
4,040 Posts
Problem is, the sellers classify it as "Handling & Packaging fees"
Old Sep 16, 2008, 08:52 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2006
2,627 Posts
Trader Rating: 65
At the same time, though, I don't want ebay telling me how much to charge for shipping, either.
Toker is offline Find More Posts by Toker
Old Sep 16, 2008, 10:45 PM
USA, WV, Moundsville
Joined Oct 2006
2,779 Posts
Trader Rating: 30
my father in law just sold a bunch of motorcycle parts on ebay last week.. most of the stuff shipped in the last couple days here... problem is it kept saying "your shipping price looks a bit high...." the fender i marked at 25$ shipping as well as a seat and 2 different pairs of shocks at 17$each... the fender cost 27$ actual seat 32$ shocks were 16.90$ each pair to ship.... i have a feeling this is going to be a hinderance more than a help
turbored21 is offline Find More Posts by turbored21
Old Sep 17, 2008, 07:03 AM
Mt. Dora, Florida
USA, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Dec 2006
4,040 Posts
Me Three. I sell a few college level books on ebay that my daughter no longer needs to try and re-coop a small amount of my investment. When I say small, it usually breaks down to about 25% or less. Now some if not most students wait until the last minute to get their books so they want Priority mail rather then book rate shipping. Well to ship a 5 pound book priority mail can run $10.00-$12.00 easily depending on where it's going. But yet Ebay is telling me that the most I will be able to charge for that book in October will be $4.00.

Like they say, for every action there is a re-action and it usually isn't good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toker
At the same time, though, I don't want ebay telling me how much to charge for shipping, either.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 07:39 AM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
Trader Rating: 299
Do they even consider the cost of buying a box, driving to the post office, packing time? In other words do they permit handling charges along with shipping?

I have to drive 25 miles round trip to the post office. If the buyer does not want to pay my shipping charge that is one thing. I will no longer use ebay if they try to make me lose money on the shipping.

On the other hand, I will not buy from the people who pull the fraudulent high shipping charge in order to cheat ebay.

Tim

Tim
tdearth is offline Find More Posts by tdearth
Old Sep 17, 2008, 08:26 AM
I meant to do that....
United States, CA, Upland
Joined Dec 2005
372 Posts
Trader Rating: 236
Ebay needs another option to be filled out for sellers that allows you to charge a "handling fee". They can moniter this also, but allows you to gain back the money sellers have to put out for packaging material cost, gas, box, etc.
crashnburned is offline Find More Posts by crashnburned
Old Sep 17, 2008, 08:57 AM
The Great NorthWest
Joined May 2007
1,029 Posts
Trader Rating: 315
It'll be intereting to see if they enforce this new policy across the board. I have noticed a few China sellers that have been recently suspended and some that have lowered their shipping. However, most are still listing small items for an extremely low price and ask $20 or $25 for shipping.

Regards,
Xwing
xwingnut is offline Find More Posts by xwingnut
Old Sep 17, 2008, 10:14 AM
Angering mobs since 1980.
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Sep 2001
2,929 Posts
Trader Rating: 333
Frankly I think this is yet another nail in the coffin that will contain the remains of what feebay used to be.

I swear they are intentionally driving the small sellers out of the marketplace.

While I think it's overdue for them to reign in the sellers who abuse the system with silly high shipping fees I also think it's wrong for them to tell me what I can charge for shipping. (yea, I know. I am being something of a hypocrite)

I saw an article online recently citing layoffs coming at eBay. Up to 10% of their 15K employees may get their 'pink slips'.

Much of eBay's problems surround their ill thought out changes to both rate and feedback policies and have angered many sellers (including me).

Why on earth would these dopes running ebay monkey with things and antagonize their customers in a down economy?

Oh, wait. These are the same kinds of wiz kids that are running Lehman Brothers, AIG, Fannie-Mae....

<rant mode = off>

--
Mike "Fed up in MD" N.
Twmaster is offline Find More Posts by Twmaster
Old Sep 17, 2008, 10:22 AM
Angering mobs since 1980.
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Sep 2001
2,929 Posts
Trader Rating: 333
Oh, I did forget something....

These shipping charge limits are supposedly only be applied to media items at present. (books, DVDs, music CDs, etc)

--
Mike N
Twmaster is offline Find More Posts by Twmaster
Old Sep 17, 2008, 10:37 AM
I'm an Arizona WingNut!
United States, NM, Rio Rancho
Joined Jan 2007
317 Posts
Trader Rating: 42
If ebay and paypal (both the same company) would not take an arm and a leg in seller fees then maybe people selling would not charge such high shipping fees. You get chrged to list it, sell it and collect money for it. Ease up on fees and prices would come down.

Thomas
IFLYRCAZ is offline Find More Posts by IFLYRCAZ
Old Sep 17, 2008, 11:10 AM
Groundloop World Champion
USA, AZ, Glendale
Joined Jan 2002
1,178 Posts
Trader Rating: 376
Feebay has driven me to selling here...which is good. But, feebay has a much much larger market that makes the sale of an item more probable there. The increased feebay/paypal/USPS fees and charges make selling of low dollar items, by hobbiests, less palatable all around.

The new Feedback Policy is a real loser for sellers........ no matter how much of an Ah the buyer is.... sellers can ONLY leave a positive feedback How's that improving the quality/validity of feedback ?????? I've sold on feebay since January 2001. It used to be comfortable but now it is a necessary evil.

I, as a buyer, have one "pet peeve" with a hobbiest (not a business!!) who wants to charge more shipping because they "have to drive 25 miles round trip to the post office" and "have to take their time to package the item". That is pure Hs. One can now print postage paid shipping labels online. And, the USPS comes by my mail box 98% of the time Monday thru Saturday. If you are not a business, then how can one justify charging for "their time" ???
old_dude is offline Find More Posts by old_dude
Old Sep 17, 2008, 12:55 PM
Ahsville (just south of Columbus), OH
Joined May 2007
588 Posts
Trader Rating: 141
I think it is also important to realize that some things are more difficult to package correctly than others...aircraft and treadle sewing machines to name a few. I sell these and other items on Ebay and here, and I have found that if you want your items to arrive safely, you need to purchase custom boxes, packaging peanuts, styrofoam, and bubble wrap. These supplies are not cheap, and I clearly state in my listing that there will be a fee for materials used. The buyers I have dealt with over the years have not had a problem paying for good quality packaging and shipping, which is what I and many other sellers have always offered. I pride myself in how well things should be packaged, and know first hand how it feels to get something that has been damaged in transit, due to poor packaging.
bighank13 is offline Find More Posts by bighank13
Closed Thread