HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by jpgcag, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 02:11 PM
The desert collection
Yuma AZ/Puyallup WA
Joined Jun 2006
764 Posts
Discussion
If I had no bad luck......

It has been said that flying both real planes and RC is mostly hours of calm entertainment interdispered with minutes of shear terror! Mine started the first of September. I've been flying my two Mini Slingers everyday for most of the summer. I actually have had three, but the first one had one too many crashes and its now my parts plane. The second is a completely stock set up as it comes out of the box. The third I hopped up with a Waypoint E2205-32 swinging an Easy Star prop, being driven by a CC 25 ESC and a 7.2vt 850mAh battery. Where the stock one (II) snarls like a mad hornet, the (III) is whisper quiet.

What started as a routine flight on II turned into a disaster when for no known reason, it nose dived straight down and hit hard in our pasture. Luckily it missed the horses "road apples". The plane was fairly dinged up, but I thought I could fix it which I did. I switched batteries and launched it but instead of flying off straight ahead it took a hard left turn and right into a flowering plum tree. I haven't hit a tree in two years! The extraction was easy with a couple of lengths of 3/4 plastic conduit. No damage so I decide to readjust the control throws and trims the next morning.

This is when the trouble really started. The next day I turn on my transmitter and see I have Mini Slinger dialed in. I now readjust my control throws. Once this was all done, I put a fresh battery in the beast and went out to fly. That is when I noticed that I had set up the throws on my III selections. Damn! I go back inside and go through the whole process again on the correct plane setting. Plus now I have to reset everything on III too! I get it done and then get II ready to fly again. After three failed launches I figured it had flown its last flight. So I go get my hotrod (III). This wing has never failed me yet. It launches straight as an arrow and with the power at WOT it goes up fast. This time when I launch it, it doesnt' go straight it too takes a hard left turn and into a very tall fir tree. The second tree landing in as many days. Double Damn! I get it down and reset the controls again. The winds come up so that its for the day.

That afternoon I decide to take another look at II to see if I can get it back into flying condition. I hit on the idea of using my low temp glue gun on the foam. I was able to tighten it up so that it was just like new, no flex anywhere. I take it out to fly in light winds and it does well. Woo hoo score one for our side! Next morning I decide to try flying III again. I had tweaked the elevon settings a tad, so I know its going to go great! Wrong! I launch it and instead of the straight arrow takeoff, it this time goes straight up and behind me. How could this be? I quickly pull the power off and expect to see it land on my garage roof, but no it drops down about 10 away just missing both the plum tree and the fir tree next to it. I'm still scratching my head when I pick it up, but now I notice I've got a left wing that has broken through on the bottom. Once again I got the glue gun out and it too is as tight as if it was brand new. I check trims and throws again, and they look good, so off we go again. This time the wing flies its on a rail and I've got all kinds of power. So a happy ending was acheived, but only after great hardship and stupidity!
jpgcag is offline Find More Posts by jpgcag
Last edited by jpgcag; Apr 10, 2009 at 01:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts