HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2008, 03:14 PM
Greeley, CO
Joined Jul 2001
231 Posts
My bro-in-law and I each got one of these Hummingbird stealths from Santa Claus. I have lots of RC experience with planes, but not much with helis. I have had a couple Heli Havocs from Air Hogs, and I had a lot of fun with them for a while and then got bored with only 2 channels. I had decided not to waste any more $ on these toy helis, but then I got this Hummingbird. At first I just thought it was a re-badged Havoc and I wished my relative had not wasted her $ on me...but then I noticed the little differences and thought it would be worth a try. We both have loved these little buggers! The extra channel with the tail rotor lifting straight up or down makes all the difference in the world! It is much more fun to fly over all the other 2 channel toy type helis! I have not had the problems you mention, toyboy, though both my brother and I have crashed them around quite a bit. I do find that I have to adjust the trim knob every flight and every 30 seconds through the flight. It is much easier to fly if you keep it trimmed to hold it's heading. I also find it kind of sensitive on the throttle stick, just as the Havocs were, so I learned to kind of jam my left thumb into the base of the throttle stick so that it was easier to hold in the correct position. Yes, right after you charge the heli the battery is a little higher in voltage and it is even harder to keep it from bouncing off the ceiling, but you learn to anticipate this...

For $30 this is a great little copter. I've seen the little Blade MCX, but I did.in't want to spend that much on a whirlybird. This humingbird satisfies my desire for rotor flight

Bill
PENGINEER1 is offline Find More Posts by PENGINEER1
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2008, 04:19 PM
Joined Dec 2008
76 Posts
Will not stop spinning

Not enough left trim.

I have no idea how to fix this. It was like this straight out of the box!
morelefttrim is offline Find More Posts by morelefttrim
Old Dec 29, 2008, 04:22 PM
Joined Dec 2008
76 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=974830

made a thread about this

Really makes me sad.
morelefttrim is offline Find More Posts by morelefttrim
Old Dec 31, 2008, 05:37 PM
Joined Dec 2008
18 Posts
I have this heli. I can't even get it to hover. It will be in there air less then 30 seconds before it starts to wobble. Wobble gets worse until it hits the ground. Any idea how to make it stop doing this?
maracco is offline Find More Posts by maracco
Old Dec 31, 2008, 05:54 PM
2 Mistakes Downwind
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2004
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maracco
I have this heli. I can't even get it to hover. It will be in there air less then 30 seconds before it starts to wobble. Wobble gets worse until it hits the ground. Any idea how to make it stop doing this?
You might have the same problem I had. See http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=974187

You can tell without removing the rotors. Just tilt the bottom rotor up and down and see if it tilts further one way than the other.

Another test you can do is, turn it on, hold it in your hand at eye level, and spool it up to full throttle. With the rotors spinning, gently move it around a bit. If you have the same problem as me, the bottom rotor will develop an oscillation, which is the cause of your death wobble.

TB
ToyBoy is offline Find More Posts by ToyBoy
Old Dec 31, 2008, 05:56 PM
Joined Dec 2008
18 Posts
Not a lot of action in the bottom rotor. What else could it be? I don't understand why it's wobbling after a few seconds out of control.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 06:25 PM
2 Mistakes Downwind
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2004
414 Posts
I assume you've checked that the linkage between the top rotor and stabilizer bar isn't broken.

You could also try moving the vertical stabilizer back. I found mine slid around pretty easily. If it's too far forward, you might have control problems but I wouldn't expect a wobble from that.

If you have a small enough screw driver, you can take the rotors off easily and check for the problem I mentioned before. Even if the bottom rotor seems okay, I would check.

TB
Last edited by ToyBoy; Dec 31, 2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 07:07 PM
Joined Dec 2008
18 Posts
It flys good until the wobble kicks in. Maybe one of the motors is going faster then the other? I noticed it can stay airborne longer when the battery is fading. I can't gain any altitude, but at least it doesn't wobble. So I have no idea. I might just rma it and get my money back. If I can't fix the wobble I can't fly it.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 07:08 PM
Joined Dec 2008
18 Posts
Also there is a lot of vibration in the heli when I throttle it. Maybe this is normal or maybe it's just a little too much vibration.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 07:29 PM
2 Mistakes Downwind
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2004
414 Posts
There should not be a lot of vibration. Something is out of balance. I'd RMA it.
Old Jan 01, 2009, 12:22 PM
Joined Dec 2008
18 Posts
I decided to RMA it for a refund and get the Blade mcx. I don't want to deal with this bull.
Old Jan 03, 2009, 11:01 PM
Joined Jan 2009
8 Posts
Sounds like most people have similar experiences to what I had with two of these. The first one I couldn't even get off the floor. I called Thinkgeek and they were extremely good about it and shipped me another that day by 2nd day air. The second one I could get into the air, but had to mess with the trim constantly and never really had control ever. The flight time lasted only about 1-2 minutes before it would only get about a foot off the ground. Sent that one back too. Now I'm looking at maybe a blade mcx or a lama v3.
Cimarron is offline Find More Posts by Cimarron
Old Jan 19, 2009, 03:44 AM
Wish I could fly for real
United States, HI, Waimea
Joined Jan 2009
99 Posts
Black Stealth

I own this heli and it's really stable and smooth once you trim it. Just the length of time isn't very long 5-6 minutes. But it's like a hummingbird the way it moves. Nice review.
HeliFanatic is offline Find More Posts by HeliFanatic
Old Jan 28, 2009, 11:46 PM
2 Mistakes Downwind
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2004
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFanatic
I own this heli and it's really stable and smooth once you trim it. Just the length of time isn't very long 5-6 minutes. But it's like a hummingbird the way it moves. Nice review.
I guess you're one of the lucky ones. After replacing my first (broken) one, my second unit does fly okay but it has two major problems which prevent it from ever being called "stable". Firstly you can't hover it at a consistent altitude because there isn't enough resolution in the throttle channel. No matter how gentle I am with the throttle, it's always going up or down. Secondly, it's impossible to trim. I am almost constantly adjusting the trim or the steering channel itself.

Having said that, I still have a lot of fun with it and I fly it every day. I'm getting better at finessing the throttle at the same time as fighting with the steering. The key is to get it going forward and just try to maintain a nose-forward orientation. I get about 5-6 minutes per charge.

TB
Old Jul 22, 2009, 02:04 PM
Joined Jul 2009
2 Posts
Ehm, I got this one today and followed the manual closely, but my copter does not load. I tried any combination of on/off states of remote and copter, the green light always flash once and then never get green again. The copter is low on fuel, since it cannot rise anymore.
As far as i got the green led must flash or be on when charging occurs right?
I have no idea what i am doing wrong...
Seikilos is offline Find More Posts by Seikilos