SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 07, 2003, 05:36 AM
United States, VA, Clintwood
Joined Nov 2002
3,666 Posts
I just use a 145mah and 45mah so far.
I have shorted the 145mah out a few times.
I fixed the problem by adding some epoxy to where I soldered the wires to the plug. I used female plugs on the battery and male on the rx and charger. Shorting the 145mah didnt vaporize anything but once it shorted while measuring voltage with one of my voltmeters. It(the voltmeter) has the low battery indicator on constantly now, even with a fresh battery installed. The lipoly still works fine. Each time it shorted it was only for a split second except for the short while measuring voltage which was maybe a little longer than a split second. I dont use a glass container but I am always in the same room with the battery when charging. I would probably use a glass container though if I had larger cells or charged multiple cells. .
billystiltner is offline Find More Posts by billystiltner
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2003, 05:56 AM
Thats NOT indestructible
London UK
Joined Apr 2002
1,448 Posts
Hey Guys

Is it just me or has the SH Designs site gone down?

If so can somone email me the schematic, and thet thing that says how to change the voltages and currents

Cheers

Josh

My email addy is jm.levine@btinternet.com
j8m8l is offline Find More Posts by j8m8l
Old Apr 10, 2003, 12:43 AM
Joined Nov 2002
3,666 Posts
Josh

I missed this when you posted.
The site seems to be working now and Scott has a new schematic up with lots of options.

I went ahead and sent you the files all zipped up.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 10:03 PM
Moderador.
guadalajara, jalisco, mexico
Joined Sep 2002
9,234 Posts
Hi guys.

Andy, I maked my own charger from your diagram, but when I take the numbers, the out voltage is 12 volts.. the multiturn had 3 pins, I only soldered the 2 than are closer, do you can post some pics, as I do not know about electronic I understand better with your diagram and pics, when I turn the screw in the multiturn, the voltage down to 11.20 V. and the R3 I found is 3.3 ohms to 2 Watts. Thanks for the help.
Alfredo Rubio is offline Find More Posts by Alfredo Rubio
Old Apr 16, 2003, 12:35 PM
Moderador.
Joined Sep 2002
9,234 Posts
Andy, forget my last post... It works, and works great, even I installed an std. resistence in R3, works great.... this little gems, the 145 mah Lipoly cell is great...

Thanks Andy.

Ohhh!!! before I forget, the total cost of my charger is $ 4.20 Dlls!!! Not bad...
Old Apr 17, 2003, 03:05 PM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,654 Posts
Alfredo,

I'm glad you got your charger to work, I share your sense of satisfaction, espesially as you managed it at such a low price.

If you are using Kokam cells these are charged at 4.2 volts for each one in series to be correct. If you are using 3 in series you will need to set the output voltage to 12.6Volts to charge corectly.
Please post a comment on this or send me a private message as I may be able to help.

Andy.
AndyOne is offline Find More Posts by AndyOne
Old Apr 17, 2003, 09:21 PM
Moderador.
Joined Sep 2002
9,234 Posts
When I conect the battery to the charger, the voltage grow from 3.8 in the start, and 1 hour letter the voltage is 4.5... If I remember well.

How many batterys can I charge? I only have 1 cell, but I want to get more... thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 05:27 AM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,654 Posts
Alfredo,

I guessed incorrectly that you wanted to charge a 3 cell battery.

To charge a single cell, the voltage should be set to 4.20 volts as close as you can get ie. between 4.15V and 4.25V. The output voltage of the charger will be held down at the begining of the charge and it is the cell that will control the voltage. Towards the end of the charge, the charger must control the voltage and limit it to prevent overcharging of the cell.

4.5V is too high and will damage the internal working of the cell. It is also unsafe to charge to a voltage higher than recommended. You may have seen further up this thread about the dangers of overcharging.

With the circuit as shown you can certainly charge a 2 cell battery but you would need more than 12V at the input, at least 16V for a 3 cell battery.

When charging multiple cell batteries please read the comments on safety further up this thread.

Andy.
AndyOne is offline Find More Posts by AndyOne
Old Apr 20, 2003, 01:13 PM
Moderador.
Joined Sep 2002
9,234 Posts
I was wrong... the voltage in the end is 4.25

but as the charger is inexpensive, I will to make more chargers to each cell...

Thanks.
Old Apr 20, 2003, 04:11 PM
Propellers are cool.
Toronto
Joined Jan 2003
119 Posts
I've nearly finished an SHDesigns charger - just needs a connector and an LED. The voltage isn't right but it just needs a little adjustment.
I had trouble finding a combination of resistors to get 0.65 ohms (1 amp for 1020s). I ended up buying 3 packages of 10 ohm 1/2 watt resistors and wiring them all together (15 total for 0.67 ohms). Not pretty but it seems to work. (I'll find out when my batteries arrive! )
propfan is offline Find More Posts by propfan
Old Apr 20, 2003, 04:31 PM
-plancks only-
Pays Bas
Joined Oct 2001
1,077 Posts
propfan, your solution should do.

I cant express how very pleased I am with the design, It charges my 3s1p Etechs 1200 perfectly, no hazards, and fully automatic (dont discharge the cells below 3Volt each though, in this condition cells need to be tricklecharged)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=109515
Franck is offline Find More Posts by Franck
Last edited by Franck; Apr 22, 2003 at 11:58 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2003, 10:30 AM
Joined Oct 2002
232 Posts
how done you one to know if the KOKAM is charged?
maulionc is offline Find More Posts by maulionc
Old Apr 22, 2003, 10:13 PM
Vassar MI USA
Joined Nov 2000
330 Posts
i need schematic

can some one send me the led schematic? ill also need the resistor values.
is there any way this charger can charge bigger or smaller cells? such as the 148's and 48's? how about 1700's?

i might make a couple chargers for each of the different cells

my mail is edtrink@hotmail.com
i-fly is offline Find More Posts by i-fly
Old Apr 23, 2003, 09:54 AM
Joined Nov 2002
3,666 Posts
maulionc
The charge is complete when voltage reaches 4.2V or current drops to .1 C

If the charger is working correctly and the charge started with .7C.

i-fly
for which charger?
Old Apr 23, 2003, 10:15 AM
Bristol, UK
Joined Oct 2002
630 Posts
Has anyone worked out an LED circuit for the Andyone charger?
I can't find a small panel meter for less than 4GBP (like $6!) so an LED circuit would be better. I have built 2 of these chargers and they are working great but I am constantly monitoring with my meter at present as there is no fixed indication. I don't mind if there are several components involved, after all it shouldn't put people off building a charger without it if the want the lowest component count but it would be nice to have the option to add this feature if required.

Anyone..????

Chris
Goodychrischild is offline Find More Posts by Goodychrischild