SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 18, 2009, 01:33 PM
Electric Addict
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
this is how I have mine connected right now... note that I need the servo buffers due to my Futaba PCM Rx.

downeym is offline Find More Posts by downeym
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2009, 01:40 PM
How do I change this text?
The Beautiful Mountains of Utah
Joined Oct 2006
6,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alros_100
... temporary wiring /splicing diagram for the cdp4 sensor and the e-logger/osd for artificial horizon. I recognize that an interface board has been in plans and or in production - until that is available can someone show the unofficial - use at your own risk - splicing to get this tested out.
You're likely going to have to get the splicing diagram from billpa himself. I think the reason none of the beta-testers will share it, in addition to the confidentiality agreement we signed, is that we were told that the pin assignments in the e-Logger might change in the future. I haven't hooked up my CPD4 to the e-Logger since the public beta came out for fear that the pin assignments might have indeed changed as AHI work has progressed.
Darth_Elevator is offline Find More Posts by Darth_Elevator
Old Aug 18, 2009, 01:55 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
649 Posts
Thanks to both of you. I now fully understand and appreciate the confidentiality and pin change issue.

Downeym - a picture is worth a 1000 words !! beautiful thanks. Do you know if Spectrum receivers require those servo buffers as well?

thanks
Al
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Old Aug 18, 2009, 06:59 PM
USA, CA, Watsonville
Joined Jul 2001
466 Posts
OSD chopped off on right side of screen. As can be seen in any of my FPV videos, such as this one.

FPV Easy Glider Full FPV Flight (08/16/09) (16 min 0 sec)

Any suggestions?
g00bd0g is offline Find More Posts by g00bd0g
Old Aug 18, 2009, 07:18 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,936 Posts
All, I hope that we will be able to release a "whitepaper" on connecting the FMA CPD4 head/system to the OSD-Pro this week. This will be an interim solution, but should work fine until something more substantial is done. Sorry for the long delay on this.

Al, the servo buffer is only required/relevent for the FMA CPD4 copilot computer. Please see your CPD4 instructions for more info on that.

g00bd0g, just set "narrow screen" on the "osd display" configuration page, and then use the "horizontal position" adjustment on the same page, to center the screen.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 18, 2009, 07:23 PM
Electric Addict
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
I dont think the spectrum gear needs the buffer. I think its pretty specific to Futaba PCM Rxs... According to FMA:

While the Co Pilot will operate with nearly any current radio system without requiring any other peripheral items, there is one exception. Certain current model Futaba PCM receivers and possibly a few JR models may experience interface problems with the Co Pilot. Here's why: some current model PCM receiver output servo data to the servos in parallel (at the same time). This is a new way of doing it as normal PPM (standard FM) receivers have always had a delay between the data outputs from one servo to the next. Now, since the Co Pilot has to receive servo information on your elevator and aileron channels, it would take a very sophisticated computer running at high clock speeds to handle parallel data on separate input lines. There is a simple solution to this problem. It requires the installation of one FMA PN: 605SB in-line digital servo buffer installed between the receiver and the Co Pilot computer module. Instructions are provided in the manuals for both the 605SB and the Co Pilot for installing this buffer correctly.

What does the buffer do? The buffer creates a slight delay on the channel to which it is connected and enables the Co Pilot to easily handle the servo signals coming from your PCM receiver in parallel.

How do I know if I need the buffer? We recommend that you first connect the Co Pilot as per the manual and test your servo motion in normal flight mode. If the servos are erratic or jerky, you need the buffer.

If you need the buffer(s), make sure you use them in series on only the one channel (elevator) as shown in the manual. If you put buffers on both the aileron and the elevator channel, you won't solve the problem because you'll end up delaying both channels and you're right back where you started.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 07:34 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2007
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeym
I dont think the spectrum gear needs the buffer. I think its pretty specific to Futaba PCM Rxs... According to FMA:
Just to follow up on that a little:

When you are using Spektrum gear by itself you don't need a buffer. Adding the OSD Pro, though, changes that (but only during RTH and if you are using the CPD-4 computer module).

When return to home is invoked, the OSD itself is now generating the PPM signal and it does send parallel signals. You can either add a servo buffer or enable the menu option that says something like "I am using a CPD-4 without a servo buffer". As mentioned a little earlier, setting this option will force the OSD Pro to send the signals slightly shifted so as not to confuse the CPD-4 computer. A side effect of it, however, is that voice announcements will not work during RTH because it uses a hardware trick to achieve it.

At least that's my best understanding of all of this. Billpa can correct me if I got that wrong.
FPV Bill is offline Find More Posts by FPV Bill
Old Aug 18, 2009, 08:10 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
649 Posts
Thanks for the detailed explanations. I wonder if the copilot II can handle the parallel servo signals? In any case it looks like a good idea to have these buffers on hand for RTH just in case

al
Last edited by alros_100; Aug 19, 2009 at 01:11 AM.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 08:12 PM
Electric Addict
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
I believe it can... I actually ordered one today, so I will let you know if it is a problem...
Old Aug 18, 2009, 08:21 PM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
649 Posts
I just found this post which suggests th cp II is not affected by this issue:

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?p=1415422

but please post your experience when you get The cpII

thanks
Al
Old Aug 18, 2009, 09:58 PM
Joined Jul 2009
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless Bill
Try this:

Menu -> GPS and Waypoint Settings -> Require 3D GPS Fix: Yes
Menu -> GPS and Waypoint Settings -> Seconds to Wait Post GPS Fix: 30

Then turn the OSD off and then on. See if that helps.

View my settings are as follows:

Has been changed to Require 3D GPS Fix: Yes Seconds to Wait Post GPS Fix: 10 Another Day test .

Thank you for help
china_fei is offline Find More Posts by china_fei
Old Aug 18, 2009, 10:00 PM
Joined Jul 2009
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless Bill
Try this:

Menu -> GPS and Waypoint Settings -> Require 3D GPS Fix: Yes
Menu -> GPS and Waypoint Settings -> Seconds to Wait Post GPS Fix: 30

Then turn the OSD off and then on. See if that helps.
View my settings are as follows:
Require 3D GPS Fix: No
Seconds to Wait Post GPS Fix: 0

Has been changed to Require 3D GPS Fix: Yes Seconds to Wait Post GPS Fix: 10 Another Day test .

Thank you for help
china_fei is offline Find More Posts by china_fei
Old Aug 19, 2009, 12:50 AM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
649 Posts
? bug in menu for display lat-long position

Hi
Can someone confirm if there is a bug when setting the display lat-long position using the PC interface.

I set the parameter using my radio and OSD to "always" and this showed the lat long as expected on video. when I later went into the PC software to look at the parameters -it had changed to "never". thinking I somehow inadvertently set it that way, I used the pc software to set it to "always" and went to the flying field to test the system. At the field, the lat - long was not displayed! so I went back into the menu using the radio and OSD and it showed something like "PC int..." - sorry can't remember exact term. Anyways I set it to "always" and lat / long showed up again.

Back home after downloading my logged data on the PC. I checked the menu item again and on the PC it showed "never" but on the OSD video menu it shows always. So it would seem the menu items are reversed? on the PC?

elogger firmware 5.63 - OSD pro 1.39 and elogger app 7.83

Al
Last edited by alros_100; Aug 19, 2009 at 01:08 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 08:11 AM
Pseudo-Pilot
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Oct 2005
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alros_100
Hi
Can someone confirm if there is a bug when setting the display lat-long position using the PC interface.

I set the parameter using my radio and OSD to "always" and this showed the lat long as expected on video. when I later went into the PC software to look at the parameters -it had changed to "never". thinking I somehow inadvertently set it that way, I used the pc software to set it to "always" and went to the flying field to test the system. At the field, the lat - long was not displayed! so I went back into the menu using the radio and OSD and it showed something like "PC int..." - sorry can't remember exact term. Anyways I set it to "always" and lat / long showed up again.

Back home after downloading my logged data on the PC. I checked the menu item again and on the PC it showed "never" but on the OSD video menu it shows always. So it would seem the menu items are reversed? on the PC?

elogger firmware 5.63 - OSD pro 1.39 and elogger app 7.83

Al
I brought this issue up here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post12711787
Post # 1252
emagnee is offline Find More Posts by emagnee
Old Aug 19, 2009, 08:14 AM
Electric Addict
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
Bill,

Can I make a request for a future parameter to be selectable for display? L/D is a quite useful parameter for glider pilots as it will help find the most efficient glide speed. It would be calculated by

L/D =airspeed * 5280 / (60*cbr)