HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2009, 01:03 AM
Joined Apr 2007
544 Posts
osd pro audio problem

hi
I just got my osd pro and set it up..I have no gps yet...
the audio is noisy...I muted the mic but it is bad...
can I plug into the osd with head phones to here if the problem is out of the osd or out of my receiver..??
also when the voice is running the video gets some interference in it..it goes away when there is no voice..

watt up??

tkx
RocketJoe is offline Find More Posts by RocketJoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2009, 03:32 AM
Gravity Tester
Central Michigan
Joined May 2003
1,133 Posts
Had the maiden flight with the FPV/OSD this evening.. It didn't go too well and the plane crashed into a mud bog. At about 1:13 into the flight, the pilot was completely locked out and lost control.. I'm not really sure what happened but I'm thinking the BEC was overloaded and crapped out.

FPV Wild Hawk Crash at GLASS Field (1 min 43 sec)

No damage but it was a muddy mess. (I think I may have to throw my shoes out). The radio system seems to work fine still. I'll do a good range check but probably install a UBEC for piece of mind. I'm using a 2.4GHz Assan radio system and a 900 MHz video Tx/Rx.
KnimRod is offline Find More Posts by KnimRod
Old Aug 12, 2009, 03:39 AM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnimRod
Had the maiden flight with the FPV/OSD this evening.. It didn't go too well and the plane crashed into a mud bog. At about 1:13 into the flight, the pilot was completely locked out and lost control.. I'm not really sure what happened but I'm thinking the BEC was overloaded and crapped out.

No damage but it was a muddy mess. (I think I may have to throw my shoes out). The radio system seems to work fine still. I'll do a good range check but probably install a UBEC for piece of mind. I'm using a 2.4GHz Assan radio system and a 900 MHz video Tx/Rx.
Bugger dude!! All that grass and it had to hit the mud!!

It looks like you were flying on a half flat battery too... 11v at the start, and then when you gunned it, it dropped into the 9vs. That's not good if its a Lipo.

How far away do you think you were?
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2009, 03:42 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJoe
hi
I just got my osd pro and set it up..I have no gps yet...
the audio is noisy...I muted the mic but it is bad...
can I plug into the osd with head phones to here if the problem is out of the osd or out of my receiver..??
also when the voice is running the video gets some interference in it..it goes away when there is no voice..

watt up??

tkx
JOE,

I found that I had to turn the volume in the OSD right down to 1 or 2 and then adjust the Mics volume. So basically in the OSD, turn the Voice Prompts down to 1 or 2 and then turn the External Mic volume down to 1 or 2 also.

I found that my Audio was really noisy and the voice prompts distorted to hell until I turned them down.

I think the Video TX is a bit too hot when transmitting the signal.

Anyways... let me know if that helps.

Cheers
-J
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2009, 04:21 AM
-.-
Tarifa, Spain
Joined Nov 2007
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emagnee
I can't beleive the difference in quality! I always thought the problem was my camera. My video looks the same as yours, but my Tx is <1yr old and has been in no crashes. I've always heard good things about Lawmate.
Yesterday I learned that the TX lawmate has a potentiometer to adjust the gain of whites.
Surely playing this potentiometer can greatly improve image quality.

greetings
Kiof is offline Find More Posts by Kiof
Old Aug 12, 2009, 08:08 AM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiof
Yesterday I learned that the TX lawmate has a potentiometer to adjust the gain of whites.
Surely playing this potentiometer can greatly improve image quality.

greetings
It's true for most video Tx, Airwaves too have it.

About sound, the level of voice alert and microphone must be adjust at 1 or 2 on my osd also or the sound will distorsion.

I modified my mic to be able to adjust the volume. Every mic we buy on the market are too sensible, presently the osd pro have an amplifier in it, it will not help us, it would be better to have an attenuator at the mic input.

Your tx is hot on the ground, but it will run cold hen the plane fly. It probably make very few difference, unless you wait 10-15 minutes before take-off
VRflyer is offline Find More Posts by VRflyer
Old Aug 12, 2009, 08:19 AM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,981 Posts
delete
Last edited by VRflyer; Aug 12, 2009 at 09:08 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 08:41 AM
Gravity Tester
Central Michigan
Joined May 2003
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel
Bugger dude!! All that grass and it had to hit the mud!!

It looks like you were flying on a half flat battery too... 11v at the start, and then when you gunned it, it dropped into the 9vs. That's not good if its a Lipo.

How far away do you think you were?
That's not grass, it's corn fields mostly. I suppose I'm lucky it landed where it did. It would have difficult to find in the corn.

I noticed the voltage too.. It's an old 3S ThunderPower 1320mAH LiPo... It had a fresh charge so I guess it might be time to retire it...
Old Aug 12, 2009, 01:01 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,981 Posts
Flight test no 1

I made a video yesterday, the flight condition was not very good, very humid, I got a weak signal compare to others days. Also the mic was not held by velcro and was out of the fuse during the flight, so we hear only wind and it too loud compare to voice alert volume.

I put three voice alert, one at 40Amp, one at 100degre farenheit, and one at 9.0V. The three first alarm voice had start at the preset value, but the beginning of the word is not audible, it miss a delay after the beep. Each time an alert is tell, it will be spoken many times.

I put the altitude alert on the second osd page like suggest in the manual, I want to have a voice alert at 400 feet, but I don't want to see the altitude on the main osd screen because I got an altitude scale already. But it do not work, no voice alert had been spoken when I pass the 400 feet.
You will heard the ampere voice alert at take-off, the temperature alert at mid flight and the battery pack voltage alert at landing. The 9.0V setting is too low, I barely had enough juice to land in the battery, and worst the wind raise and I decide to land on the other side of the runway...

Do not miss the end, the women in the osd pro can not stop to talk, next time I will try with the men voice

I made an error at editing, go directly at 4:30 min for the take-off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN3WR2x_N4M

For info, I power the Data recorder via one servo port of the recorder. I use a 5V linear regulator (7805) plug directly at the 12V battery connector,. Only one batterie onboard. No capacitor is use for filtration. I will add some capacitor because it probably have a lot of noise that come in the data recorder from the battery, a big filtration capacitor will perhaps made a difference in the repetition of the voice alert by stabilizing the voltage of the Data recorder, but I doubt. I will do it later this week.

Today I made another test flight with male voice and differents alert setting. Voltage set at 9.2V (was 9.0V), temperature set at 130F (was 100F), current at 45A.Weather condition was perfect. I begin to edit it.
Last edited by VRflyer; Aug 12, 2009 at 01:07 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 01:16 PM
Joined Apr 2007
544 Posts
audio

i have the vol down to 2 on voice and 1 on mic...
the mic is muted so there should be nothing there..

the fact that it puts interferance on the video when it talks is watt makes me believe that somethings a miss??

tkx for the help

need more ideas

tkx
Old Aug 12, 2009, 02:32 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,981 Posts
Quote:
i

the fact that it puts interferance on the video when it talks is watt makes me believe that somethings a miss??

tkx
I miss that yesterday. That a common problem when the mic volume is too high, it saturated the channel audio and it affect also the video. You need to lower the mic volume by adding one resistor in the audio wire or in the power wire of the mic. Don't ask me which value, I start with a big value and use samller value until the sound appear good. The value vary from one mic to the other, and it will not work all the time.

This is what I explain in my previous post, perhaps an attenuator at the mic input of the osd that we would adjust the value in the on screen menu. Presently the mic input have an amplifier I think.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 01:15 AM
Joined Apr 2007
544 Posts
audio

tkx for the idea there but
I dont have a mic on the airplane at all...NO MIC..
how do i put a resistor in when there is NO MIC..??

yes the audio sounds saturated....but theres nothing there....

need help..!!

tkx
Old Aug 13, 2009, 10:18 AM
Gravity Tester
Central Michigan
Joined May 2003
1,133 Posts
My problem was apparently the BEC.. I installed a UBEC in the system and flew for almost 15 minutes with no problems.. We didn't get too far out though but I'm confident we solved that problem. Here's the video from yesterday's mostly low and slow flight.

FPV Wild Hawk flight over GLASS Field (9 min 56 sec)

I added a servo extension from the camera to the OSD and I think that's the cause of the minor interference you see in the video. It only appears to be on the background and not the foreground generated by the OSD.
Last edited by KnimRod; Aug 13, 2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 11:47 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,820 Posts
Quote:
tkx for the idea there but
I dont have a mic on the airplane at all...NO MIC..
how do i put a resistor in when there is NO MIC..??

yes the audio sounds saturated....but theres nothing there....

need help..!!

tkx
JOE - Turn the Voice Prompt Volume down in the OSD. Turn it down to 2
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2009, 12:01 PM
Joined Apr 2007
544 Posts
still audio

hey The Mongrel:

Tkx for the ideas but you see I have it turned down..!!

thats the problem..

its noisy and puts lines on my video when it speaks...!

is there a way to shunt the mic input..could that be the problem..??

tkxs

still need help..