HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2009, 10:55 PM
dx4life
Wichita KS
Joined Nov 2004
409 Posts
that video was for beta testing only, you will have to wait for the board that connects to the sensor.
BrainDrain_dx is offline Find More Posts by BrainDrain_dx
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2009, 04:14 AM
Israel
Joined Jun 2008
240 Posts
audio Warnings .

Since there isn't affective visual warnings on the OSD pro I decided to use the audio Warnings .

can somebody show me how to connect the OSD + mic + TX ???
Why do I need + and - going from the osd to the TX .

thanks.
moti
motiganot is offline Find More Posts by motiganot
Last edited by motiganot; Aug 06, 2009 at 04:41 AM.
Old Aug 06, 2009, 04:25 AM
Joined Apr 2009
717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainDrain_dx
that video was for beta testing only, you will have to wait for the board that connects to the sensor.
..since it seems it's just a matter of "connections", i believe that waiting for the product itself (since it seems it's a "rarity" recently...) is long enough, find the sensor alone makes other troubles (at least here...), publish those connections guidelines would be highly apprecciated for who already awaited so long (i'm personally still waiting..). Plus some of us aren't going to pay again for the shipment of a single "connection board" that would costs less than the shipmet itself.
If there's someone out there that may lemme know (even privately) how to make those connection, please, i'll be glade to him/her.
Thanks.
npole is offline Find More Posts by npole
Old Aug 06, 2009, 05:09 AM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motiganot
Since there isn't affective visual warnings on the OSD pro I decided to use the audio Warnings .

can somebody show me how to connect the OSD + mic + TX ???

thanks.
moti
Hi mate,

if you are not using a Microphone on your plane, then just plug the OSD into the Audio input of your TX. You will need 2 wires. One for Signal, and the other is common ground... also called Negative (-)

If you are running a Mic, then chances are it will need power to operate properly. In that case you will need to feed that Mic Positive and Negative, plus the Signal.

The OSD Pro is setup so that you can pass POS right through it without hurting in.

So lets go through the connections assuming you have a Mic and it needs 12v power.

OSD AUDIO OUT (this has three pins POS NEG and SIGNAL)
POS = +12V
NEG = -12V (common ground)
SIG = Your Audio Signal in. on your TX

OSD AUDIO IN (This has three pins POS NEG and SIGNAL
POS = +12V in on your Mic
NEG = -12v in on your Mic (common ground)
SIG = Signal out of your Mic.

The Negative of your TX will also act as a common ground, so as long as it is powered off the same battery source as your mic, it will work just fine.

I hope that helps!!

Cheers
-J
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2009, 08:39 AM
Israel
Joined Jun 2008
240 Posts

motiganot is offline Find More Posts by motiganot
Old Aug 06, 2009, 09:10 AM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,818 Posts
Well it depends on how you wire it. If your way works - Then all good!

I have chosen to put the POS and NEG through the OSD to power the Mic.

Cheers
-J
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2009, 09:15 AM
Electric Addict
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
If your microphone needs power, you will need to provide power on the Tx side,. which will be passed through the OSD. The OSD will not provide any power to the mic...
downeym is offline Find More Posts by downeym
Old Aug 06, 2009, 09:20 AM
Manchester
Joined Jul 2008
464 Posts
I think the simple answer here is that you can either,
- power every device with its own set of cables, from the same power source.
or,
- power for instance the TX and then feed the power through the OSD Pro to your Camera and Mic.
or even,
- a combination of the above.

The OSD does not use or require separate power (although it does use some from your RX input as well as powered from your logger) and simply passes through to allow you to power your add-on devices, making it easier and simpler.

Hope this helps.
cvandenb is offline Find More Posts by cvandenb
Old Aug 06, 2009, 09:21 AM
Naza, Rabbit, FF, MWC, FY
Saint-Petersburg Russia
Joined Jun 2008
186 Posts
Quote:
I have ordered CoPilot, can you send me PM how to connect its head to OSD Pro, soldering not a problem for me.

Thank you!
RCWingFlyer is offline Find More Posts by RCWingFlyer
Old Aug 06, 2009, 09:49 AM
Electric Addict
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
How about a picture?
downeym is offline Find More Posts by downeym
Old Aug 06, 2009, 02:37 PM
Joined Jul 2009
805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWingFlyer
I have ordered CoPilot, can you send me PM how to connect its head to OSD Pro, soldering not a problem for me.

Thank you!
No problem now for me braindrain
Neo360 is offline Find More Posts by Neo360
Old Aug 06, 2009, 02:38 PM
Joined Jul 2009
805 Posts
Quote:
Can you send me PM how to connect its head to OSD Pro, soldering not a problem for me
Old Aug 06, 2009, 04:50 PM
SPL
Joined Aug 2008
103 Posts
Can someone tell me what is "HDP"?
SPL is offline Find More Posts by SPL
Old Aug 06, 2009, 04:51 PM
Joined Jul 2009
805 Posts
http://www.vimeo.com/5982462

This is my test for Return to Home look the parameter and video of my Twin Star II.

What is the correct parameter?

RTH engaged at 3.09min of video, i have connect the rudder and elevator, is better aileron and elevator?
Old Aug 07, 2009, 10:59 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2007
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo360
This is my test for Return to Home look the parameter and video of my Twin Star II.

What is the correct parameter?

RTH engaged at 3.09min of video, i have connect the rudder and elevator, is better aileron and elevator?
First, I'd strongly recommend you leave it connected to rudder and not aileron. If you are getting that much movement with just rudder, if you switch to ailerons you're probably going to be doing barrel rolls.

Next, I'd try to eliminate as many variables as possible because there is too much going on at the same time to be able to know what to do.

So, for example, try having the OSD only control elevator/throttle OR rudder. Personally, this is what I would do.

Don't have the OSD control elevator by setting these values to zero:
Pitch Proportional Gain: 0
Pitch Derivative Gain: 0

Then setup the rudder control to use proportional gain only like this:
Turn Proportional Limit: 20
Turn Proportional Gain: 10
Turn Integral Gain: 0
Turn Derivative Gain: 0

As for throttle, I would personally try to get the OSD to use a fixed throttle setting in order to eliminate that as a variable for now too. From your video it looks like if you pull between 6 and 8 amps that you can hold altitude pretty easily.

I would find the stick position on your Tx that corresponds to between 6 and 8 amps and program that stick position for all 3 of the throttle questions in the RTH wizard. As I've noted in a previous posting, there is a risk that if you ever invoke RTH on the ground that the prop could spin up if you do this so be careful!

With that done, I would get in the air and check that my trims were good because for this test the OSD is ONLY going to be moving the rudder. With throttle and elevator fixed, you want to be sure that your plane isn't going to nose dive.

NOTE: If you have to play with your trims in order to maintain level flight you MUST land and reprogram the RTH wizard again so that it is aware of these trim values. Bill P is going to be coming out with a feature that will eliminate having to do this but for now it's what you have to do.

If your trims are all good, I would then turn on Display Servo Deflections from the OSD Display menu. Then I'd initiate a very gentle turn and watch the rudder values to see how much rudder movement it takes in order to turn the plane. Let's say it takes +/80 rudder deflection to do a gentle turn.

Now then, earlier we programmed in a pretty small value for Turn Proportional Limit. Engage RTH and be ready to take over in case your plane takes a dive. Watch the servo deflection values and see how much rudder deflection you are getting. Adjust the Turn Proportional Limit value until RTH gives you whatever amount of deflection you established would be good (+/80 in our example). For now, don't worry if the plane overshoots home on the turn.

Spend some time playing with the proportional limit until you can get a nice gentle turn. Then, once you feel like you have a reasonable setting, start adding some Turn Derivative Gain. Maybe start with 5 or 10 and move in increments of 5. Derivative Gain will "smooth" out your turn so that it doesn't get too fast and will help prevent overshoot.

Sorry, this is getting long and I need to move on to something else here. I'd start with something along those lines and get to the point where I would see a smooth turn. Once you have established that you can get a smooth turn, then I'd start playing with the elevator values in a similar fasion, starting with a low value and slowing working up.
FPV Bill is offline Find More Posts by FPV Bill