HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2009, 06:40 AM
Electric Addict
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2002
3,184 Posts
yes... throttle cut function... you will need to run the safety wizard after you make any change like this...

If you cant change the endpoints on the ESC, it may not work for you... it deosnt say explicitly, but it looks like that speed control is not going to learn the enw endpoints, so you may be ok..

http://www.aircraft-world.com/prod_d...s/jeti_adv.htm

try it on the bench and see if it works ok. The problem may be that once you enter RTH mode, it will learn the new low endpoint and when you turn off the switch, it will think that you are at 16% throttle and the motor will run... Obviously make sure you can secure the plane before testing this as you may need to pull the battery to get it to stop.
downeym is offline Find More Posts by downeym
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2009, 04:00 AM
Aint nothing like a Mongrel!!
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,672 Posts
Hello All,

I thought I would give you an update and I also have a couple of questions.

The update first...

I have sorted out the Audio problems I was having with the OSD. To cut a long story short, I had to turn the volume on the Mic itself right down, and then turn the external volume in the OSD down to 1. Now the Audio is crystal clear.

ALSO turned the voice prompt volume in the OSD right down to 1 - it is now very clear!

Now the Questions...

I don't have an Altimeter - am using the GPS for ALT and Speed... HOWEVER... The GPS is giving an "Above Sea Level" readout, which is probably what it is meant to do - but is there a way to make it read zero when on the ground, so that I know when I am a couple of feet off the ground without remembering what altitude above sea level I am?

Lastly...

Is the ALT in Feet or Mtrs?

Cheers
-J
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2009, 04:17 AM
Manchester
Joined Jul 2008
464 Posts
cvandenb is offline Find More Posts by cvandenb
Last edited by cvandenb; Aug 04, 2009 at 04:41 AM.
Old Aug 04, 2009, 04:28 AM
Flying like an Angel.
Austria
Joined Sep 2007
1,488 Posts
Thats wrong.

I use the altimeter and the GPS Alt and both are 0 at the start. (7.79)
BlueAngel2000 is offline Find More Posts by BlueAngel2000
Old Aug 04, 2009, 05:22 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,408 Posts
For the best GPS altitude accuracy, which should self-reset to zero on the OSD-Pro after the initial GPS fix, you must have 3d fix selected and should be set to have a minimum of 5 satellites set prior to fix as well. The meters/feet is selectable in the OSD-Pro setup menu. The V3 logger always saves above MSL data, and as far as I know, can't be zeroed for takeoff.
Cheers,
Jim
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Aug 04, 2009, 06:10 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins
For the best GPS altitude accuracy, which should self-reset to zero on the OSD-Pro after the initial GPS fix, you must have 3d fix selected and should be set to have a minimum of 5 satellites set prior to fix as well. The meters/feet is selectable in the OSD-Pro setup menu. The V3 logger always saves above MSL data, and as far as I know, can't be zeroed for takeoff.
Cheers,
Jim
Right!! So when you say that the eLogger can't be zeroed for takeoff - are you saying that I won't be able to have it display Zero on the OSD?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2009, 06:33 AM
Flying like an Angel.
Austria
Joined Sep 2007
1,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel
Right!! So when you say that the eLogger can't be zeroed for takeoff - are you saying that I won't be able to have it display Zero on the OSD?
Do you read his post carefully?

In the display you will see the 0 at startup, but when you download the data from the logger after the flight you will see the real gps altitude values.
BlueAngel2000 is offline Find More Posts by BlueAngel2000
Old Aug 04, 2009, 06:35 AM
Electric Addict
Joined Apr 2002
3,184 Posts
I suspect that you are not waiting long enough after getting an initial GPS lock and the zero point is just inaccurate...

Make sure that you have require 3d GPS lock set in the menu and I wait 30 seconds after the initial fix before I settle on the final home location...
Old Aug 04, 2009, 06:42 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeym
I suspect that you are not waiting long enough after getting an initial GPS lock and the zero point is just inaccurate...

Make sure that you have require 3d GPS lock set in the menu and I wait 30 seconds after the initial fix before I settle on the final home location...
OK mate thanks. I will check out the 3D GPS Lock in the morning when I am back out in the workshop.

Cheers
-J
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2009, 06:47 AM
Electric Addict
Joined Apr 2002
3,184 Posts
try it outside as well... GPS lock inside is not always a reliable test...
Old Aug 05, 2009, 03:33 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,672 Posts
I am still having a problem with my GPS.

Today I took the plane out to the field and set the 3D FIX and set the minimum sat count to 5 and the waited about 2 minutes before I picked the plane up off the ground. The Altitude was reading about 48 meters when the plane was in my hand. I was kind of hoping it would sort itself out, but when I got her up, it was all over the shop.

It would at times plunge to a negative level and then shoot back up again to some ridiculous level.

I am not really concerned about the Airspeed, but I can tell you the the Distance to Home was miles out. After a 10 minute flight around the field, the Distance to home was reading over 100 Meters when I landed at my feet.

The Heading to home seemed to work OK. It sorted of pointed in the right direction.

I kept my eye on the Sat count and it never fell below 5. It was jumping around a bit, but 5 was as low as it got.

The TX is at the furthest point from the GPS as possible (GPS on the nose... TX on the tail)

I read in the manual that I can set an HDOP level, but my understanding is it will wait until it gets that quality of a fix before it will operate.

My question is, why didn't I get that quality of a fix? It pretty much rendered the GPS side of the OSD useless, so I hope it is something I can fix.

Any suggestions would be great.

Ps: Please don't ask me to read through the thread. I have tried searching it for this and have sore eyes from reading already.

Cheers
-J
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2009, 08:33 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2007
423 Posts
More RTH Tests - Now w/ CPD-4

I recently re-installed my CPD-4 CoPilot onto my SlowStick and decided to do some return to home testing with it.

In the video below I'm having the OSD Pro control rudder only. I achieved this by giving it the exactly same throttle setting for all 3 of its throttle questions and by not moving the elevator when it asked me to.

Note: By specifying a non-zero throttle setting when the wizard asks you to set the throttle to zero, you run the risk of your motor spinning up if you ever accidentally engage RTH on the ground. I believe there are other safeguards in place to prevent this but it's still a risk you should be aware of.

Once I get a long range RC system (hopefully soon) my plan is to make flights out to a couple of miles. My altitude is going to need to be higher the further out I go and so rather than trying to pick a single cruising altitude to program into the OSD Pro, I'm basically setting it up so that it will hold whatever altitude it was last at.

Before setting up RTH, I did a lot of flying and tweaking with the CPD-4 to make sure that I had a good gain setting and that it was keeping the plane level in both the pitch and roll axis. This is important if you decide to not have the OSD Pro control your elevator like I have done.

The relevant RTH settings I used were as follows:
Turn Proportional Limit: 20
Turn Proportional Gain: 25
Turn Integral Gain: 5
Turn Derivative Gain: 15

Finally, as I've mentioned in previous posts, I use a switch on my Tx to engage RTH by programming that switch to move my throttle setting to a less than zero value. This less than zero value is programmed as my failsafe throttle position and so when the OSD (which has been configured to only look at 1 failsafe channel) sees it, it thinks there is a failsafe and RTH engages. By the way, I think we should call this the "Carlyle Method" since I think he was the first OSD Pro user to do that.

http://www.vimeo.com/5948711
FPV Bill is offline Find More Posts by FPV Bill
Old Aug 05, 2009, 08:47 AM
Manchester
Joined Jul 2008
464 Posts
Hey Rbill,

Your setup seems to work just perfectly. Thats brilliant...

Great video, thanks.
Charl
cvandenb is offline Find More Posts by cvandenb
Old Aug 05, 2009, 09:28 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2007
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel
I am still having a problem with my GPS.
I used to have a LOT of GPS issues. It used to take forever for me to get a lock. I would often lose my lock at random times. Altitude would often be all over the place. Overall it felt like I could never rely on the GPS.

Then one day I added two ferrite rings to my system on the following lines:

1) On the cable between the OSD and GPS just before the GPS
2) On the video line from the camera to the video Tx just before the video Tx

This solved about 95% of my problems. Even today I can remove these 2 ferrite cores and I will see a drastic reduction in my GPS quality.

Ferrite rings are available in a lot of places but I bought mine here because they have a selection of different sizes:

http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/home.php?...ction=0&page=3

Since the stock cable that connects the GPS to the OSD is not very long you have a couple of choices. You can order an extension cable so that you have some slack to wrap around the ferrite core or you can do what I did and just use the existing cable and mount the GPS right on top of the eLogger.

If you buy the smaller black ferrite ring, you will have to remove the black servo connector so that you can feed the wires through the ring.

The other recent change to my system was the addition of this low pass filter. This filter is only useful, though, if you have a 900MHz video system:

http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.p...cat=270&page=1

Best of luck in working through your issues!
FPV Bill is offline Find More Posts by FPV Bill
Old Aug 05, 2009, 05:04 PM
Italia, Piemonte, Torino
Joined Jul 2009
791 Posts
Billpa what is the connections for connect the CPD4 sensor on OSD PRO?

Only sensor without control unit.

Eagle tree OSD Pro AHI Calibration (1 min 12 sec)
Neo360 is offline Find More Posts by Neo360
Last edited by Neo360; Aug 05, 2009 at 05:30 PM.