HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2009, 02:47 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,824 Posts
Thanks to Jim and Bill, and of course to the instructions I didn't read I never imagined that it couldn't supply power for all the devices it supports. The (very) good news is that providing aux power to the OSD makes all 3 sets work perfectly.

The (somewhat) bad news is that these are stand-alone camera mounts for Mikrokopters, and I don't want to connect any extra wires to the MK. I also don't want to take any more power from the flight control board, which doesn't have much to spare. The motor controllers are special I2C bus units, so I'll probably have to supply my own 5V regulator for the OSD Pro, and/or GPS.

Thanks,
Rusty
13brv3 is offline Find More Posts by 13brv3
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2009, 03:24 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,385 Posts
Rusty,
Well seems it can if you use 2s, so maybe a new V3 voltage regulator is in our future... Glad you got them (all) working...now enjoy!
BTW, your noticing decreased sats in the underpowered situation you had is one to take note of. I have found that the GPS seems to perform better with adequate and clean power sources. ...I know...go figure
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13brv3
Thanks to Jim and Bill, and of course to the instructions I didn't read I never imagined that it couldn't supply power for all the devices it supports. The (very) good news is that providing aux power to the OSD makes all 3 sets work perfectly.

The (somewhat) bad news is that these are stand-alone camera mounts for Mikrokopters, and I don't want to connect any extra wires to the MK. I also don't want to take any more power from the flight control board, which doesn't have much to spare. The motor controllers are special I2C bus units, so I'll probably have to supply my own 5V regulator for the OSD Pro, and/or GPS.

Thanks,
Rusty
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Last edited by jesolins; Jul 25, 2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 05:40 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins
Rusty,
Well seems it can if you use 2s, so maybe a new V3 voltage regulator is in our future...
Hi Jim, I've been out playing with some new soldering aids, and was also wondering if there was a regulator that would substitute for the one on the V3. There may very well not be a better choice for the size, but I haven't looked into it.

Quote:
BTW, your noticing decreased sats in the underpowered situation you had is one to take note of.
Yeah, it's amazing how everything made sense once the solution was known

Cheers,
Rusty
13brv3 is offline Find More Posts by 13brv3
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 25, 2009, 06:24 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,385 Posts
@Rusty,
I noticed that there is a new V3 version that ET is now selling. Maybe it has a stouter amperage vreg.
@Bill can you let us know if that is the case, and what if it is and the newer vreg is one that is a direct smd re-work solder job, what that vreg number is?
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13brv3
Hi Jim, I've been out playing with some new soldering aids, and was also wondering if there was a regulator that would substitute for the one on the V3. There may very well not be a better choice for the size, but I haven't looked into it.
Yeah, it's amazing how everything made sense once the solution was known
Cheers,
Rusty
Old Jul 25, 2009, 06:33 PM
WHEN IN DOUBT FLOOR IT!!!
AZ
Joined May 2006
4,674 Posts
Hey,can someone that has a Easy Star with a working RTH setup,can you tell me what your setting are.
Thanks G
G-unit is offline Find More Posts by G-unit
Old Jul 25, 2009, 06:48 PM
Gravity Tester
Central Michigan
Joined May 2003
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Are you powering the GPS and OSD through the V3 using 3S? If so you must power either the GPS or the OSD separately since with our quad setups we don't typically connect the RX or ESC's to the OSD which would supply the additional power required. You can do this by making a Y-cable from one of the ESC's and plugging it into the OSD-Pro as well. The v3 logger regulator cannot handle the load of both the OSD-Pro and the GPS. (That is also stated in the manual as having a backup power requirement) I have my GPS powered off the +5v ESC line from the quad board and do not have any problems with the OSD-Pro as you describe.
I missed this also... I'm using the OSD Pro with the V3 and the GPS on a 3 channel Wild Hawk. I was planning on using channels 4 and 5 for the pan/tilt at some point in the near future and was concerned about that overloading the BEC in the ESC.. I'm still not clear on using aux channels for the OSD either (I wasn't intending to use that functionality right away).. Can I use my 6th channel for this and would that resolve the power issue? Thanx.
KnimRod is offline Find More Posts by KnimRod
Old Jul 25, 2009, 07:50 PM
Joined Feb 2007
14,385 Posts
It is still tied to the total amps your ESC is providing through your RX. The aux pins, any free channel, or a Y-servo cable, can be used to add power to the OSD when hooking up the GPS to the V3. With Bill's latest releases of firmware, you can setup the OSD menus from your PC, so the TX setup using RX channels, becomes optional for some of us.
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnimRod
I missed this also... I'm using the OSD Pro with the V3 and the GPS on a 3 channel Wild Hawk. I was planning on using channels 4 and 5 for the pan/tilt at some point in the near future and was concerned about that overloading the BEC in the ESC.. I'm still not clear on using aux channels for the OSD either (I wasn't intending to use that functionality right away).. Can I use my 6th channel for this and would that resolve the power issue? Thanx.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 08:08 PM
Electric Addict
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2002
3,184 Posts
Bill, I was just curious about a few things...

1. whats the status of the artificial horizon add on board?
2. were you able to try the lawmate Tx to see how to improve the audio?
downeym is offline Find More Posts by downeym
Old Jul 25, 2009, 10:39 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,918 Posts
No plans for a new regulator for the eLogger V3. The one on there handles up to 70V, which (believe it or not) is quite a popular feature. I would definitly not recommend trying to solder a different regulator to the eLogger.

The problem occurs when the regulator is required to provide relatively high amperage at high voltages. The regulator gets too warm, and shuts itself off temporarily.

In general, voltages above 25V require the backup power source when the GPS is powered by the eLogger, and above about 12V requires the backup source when the OSD Pro + the GPS are used.

Since the OSD Pro will take its power from the RX (less than 100mA in most cases) then the number jumps back to 25V with OSD Pro + GPS, when the OSD Pro is connected to the RX.

In situations where the OSD Pro is not connected to the RX (or when the pack voltage is greater than 25V) the simplest way to address the issue is to connect the "battery backup harness" between the eLogger and a 5V source. normally this 5V source is the RX. But, if you can't connect it to the RX, a separate 5V BEC will work fine.

Here's the document describing the battery backup harness, which is a good reference on the necessary connection:

http://www.eagletreesystems.com/Supp...teryBackup.pdf

All this admittedly can be a little confusing. Let me know if I should clarify. Also, note that in the vast majority of FPV cases, nothing more needs to be done than wiring your OSD Pro to your RX via the servo connectors.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
billpa is online now Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 26, 2009, 01:14 AM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,451 Posts
Thanks for the really quick sending of the package from you. Customs is a sometimes. it will be interesting to see how pnp your osd is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa
Also, note that in the vast majority of FPV cases, nothing more needs to be done than wiring your OSD Pro to your RX via the servo connectors.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 26, 2009, 03:24 AM
SPL
Joined Aug 2008
103 Posts
Bill, it's not so clearly to me..

I'm using V3 Logger + OSD Pro + GPS with 11.1V 3s battery my RX power from the ESC and aux 1+2 connected from the reciver to the OSD

do I need backup battery? I've never experienced any restarts from the system.
SPL is offline Find More Posts by SPL
Old Jul 26, 2009, 02:43 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,918 Posts
downeym, the AHI work continues. Will post an update on that soon. Re the 1W Lawmate, (edit) pls see Mr. Pibb's suggestion below.

So, the next steps on this issue are as follows:

1) Rob, can you let me know whether increasing the voice volume or muting the second stereo audio receiver channel (if there is one) solves the Future Hobbies issue, when you get a chance?

2) If it does not solve the problem, can you post the model # of the FH equipment you have? We'll get that ordered.

SPL, you are fine. Your setup should not require any additional backup power, unless/until you move above a 25V battery pack! In general, if you are not seeing dropouts/restarts, you don't need to make changes. The vast majority of our FPV customers will not.

David22, thanks for your purchase and glad to hear it arrived without too much pomp & circumstance from customs. Are you baking up there? We're in an oven here 100 miles south of you.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
billpa is online now Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Last edited by billpa; Jul 26, 2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 03:10 PM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,272 Posts
Make sure the noise issue isn't because of the receiver. I set up a system that used the 1W 2.4GHz Lawmate TX along with a YellowJacket receiver. It turns out the YellowJacket receives a stereo signal, even though the Lawmate isn't transmitting anything on the second audio channel. I was getting lots of noise associated with the OSD text, and I thought it was the same problem mentioned above. When viewing the video on my computer, I realized that all the noise was coming out of one audio channel. I muted that channel and the noise associated with the text was gone immediately. The audio then sounded "normal".
Mr.Pibb is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Pibb
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 26, 2009, 04:34 PM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,451 Posts
too hot for me
I like clouds and cool weather

the main reason I bought your osd was because of the good words Bob from Soaring USA said about your company. He even offered me a discount below your prices. Instead maybe he will give me a deal on my next plane? He is cool lol Really nice guy who like you guys answer the phone and deliver asap.

I like the pin positoining

good for my set ups for gliders

it will be interesting to compare the rv osd and yours

Thanks agian for the very quick and helpfull people you have there.

could not ask for anything better.

David22
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 26, 2009, 05:29 PM
Electric Addict
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2002
3,184 Posts
I have tried multiple ways to connecting the audio and they all seem to give the same distorted signal... I will play with it again,but on my base station I am not even connecting the right channel to anything at all on my video distribution amp...

I have another video Rx I will try also just to rule out the yellowjacket...
downeym is offline Find More Posts by downeym