SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 25, 2008, 06:54 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Feb 2006
1,153 Posts
Bill,

Speaking of the eLogger, for how long can it store GPS data if it's sampled at 5hz? It seems to run out of memory quite fast. Any memory uppgrade possible?

Thanks,

Tycho
tychoc is offline Find More Posts by tychoc
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2008, 07:29 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
saabguyspg, there are no plans to change the eLogger's hardware.

the elogger's logging of GPS will improve very soon. We're working on a lossless compression algorithm that will greatly increase the logging time for GPS. This will just require a download of the application/firmware.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 25, 2008, 07:44 PM
ok, maybe it is a toy
Alberta, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,488 Posts
Hi Bill.

Just had a chance to read all the posts and your OSD is getting me pumped too.

1. I also vote for the importance of Track-Up!

2. Might Eagle Tree consider adding Waypoints so we can download a GPS waypoint or 2 or maybe 3 for the OSD to point us towards pre-downloaded waypoints (able to flip through waypoints from the radio tx)...including distance from plane to that waypoint. Distance from plane to home is given already-good.

Much appreciated Bill!
rob mueller is offline Find More Posts by rob mueller
Old Sep 25, 2008, 09:12 PM
Texas
Joined Nov 2006
111 Posts
Got a question. Wouldn't the track up make it harder to aim the patch antenna like one of the readers commented on? With the system like it is now, you sit facing north, where the plane is on the screen, you point the antenna. I understand if it's track up the take off point moves around the center (airplane). Makes it easier to turn towards take off point. But, can you still aim the antenna easily at the plane? I'm new at this and flying the osd now you really don't know where your at if the terain is unfamiliar in the video. With the way the pro system is setup now you can tell easier where the plane is in relation to you setting there facing north. IMHO

Also, wouldn't lining up for your runway be easier the way it is now? With track up you only know your headed towards the take off point. We have a North/South runway, lining up would be easy the way the system is now. Would look just like a approach controller would see it.
Shooter58 is offline Find More Posts by Shooter58
Last edited by Shooter58; Sep 25, 2008 at 09:19 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 10:28 PM
ok, maybe it is a toy
Alberta, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,488 Posts
Hiya Shotter.

So, lets say you are driving Southwest of Austin in your Chevrolet...so the Track-Up shows you are moving Southwest. "Up" is always the direction you are traveling.

Your North or South landing strip will also show up as Track-Up.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 10:55 PM
Texas
Joined Nov 2006
111 Posts
Hey Rob,
It will be much harder to line up on the North/South runway with Track up. Or any deg runway. How would you know when to make the turn to final to be heading perfect and inline with the runway? Just using the "radar" screen. It would be simple using North up. In my case fly South of the field turn North when your 180 deg "plane icon" is 180 deg of the field. With Track up you would turn towards the field, see your not on a 360 deg running straight at the field, oops turn left go alittle more turn towards field. Hope the heading to field is 360 deg.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:55 PM
ok, maybe it is a toy
Alberta, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,488 Posts
Hi Shooter.

Well then line up with the runway with Visual Flight Rules (VFR) as you will be close enough to use your FPV to see the runway or pull off your Headplay Goggles and fly your RC aircraft conventionally to land.

Track-Up is the way to go.

VFR= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_flight_rules
Old Sep 26, 2008, 04:41 AM
Texas
Joined Nov 2006
111 Posts
Hi Rob,
Yea I understand you can do that VFR. That's why in the last post I said "Just using the Radar". But in my last flight when I would fly down wind, turn on base, then turn on final I was usually to far West. If I had this little "plane icon" I would know I made to wide of turns setting up. I'm still new at this. Need to learn panning better. So I can fly VFR better.

Being able to watch the "plane icon" in North up would help me fly grids when your looking for something on the ground also. Which is the reason I got into FPV. To save every year not having to rent a full size heli.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 08:07 AM
ok, maybe it is a toy
Alberta, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter58
To save every year not having to rent a full size heli.
Nice!
Old Sep 26, 2008, 12:23 PM
KJ4ZQE
Nashville, TN
Joined Nov 2007
354 Posts
Bill:

I wanted to let you know you were right about the video below. I got a comment back from the pilot saying that he used your software to patch together a flash movie which was then embedded over the flight video after the fact ... so this isn't an OSD.

Keep up the good work!

R/C Flight with instrument panel (3 min 28 sec)
Berzert is offline Find More Posts by Berzert
Old Sep 26, 2008, 05:32 PM
ok, maybe it is a toy
Alberta, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,488 Posts
Hiya Bill. Here is a revision to my original post above.

1. Please allow us to toggle between Track Up and North Up. If that is not an option, then just Track up!
Old Sep 26, 2008, 10:59 PM
Texas
Joined Nov 2006
111 Posts
Rob, that would be nice to have both. Also, would be nice to have tracks you could see on screen where you flew. And of coarse be able to clear. We will be testing the FPV for locating Alligator nests, then logging them with the Lat/Long. That's what we use the helicopters for now. Also if you had a plane down, flying the grid with tracks on the screen would help to locate it. Sorry Bill just dreaming! LOL
Old Sep 26, 2008, 11:45 PM
Joined Mar 2008
493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter58
Also, would be nice to have tracks you could see on screen where you flew.
this crossed my mind as well, could be really fun, but also could make the screen prety messy!
CATPart is offline Find More Posts by CATPart
Old Sep 27, 2008, 08:11 AM
Texas
Joined Nov 2006
111 Posts
I think it could get messy also. Would have to have wind shield wipers on the osd to see where your flying.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 09:21 PM
USA
Joined Nov 2004
90 Posts
Bill,

Are you planning on eventually releasing information on the OSD Pro serial protocol (I believe you said you will do something similar for the standard OSD)?

Even though I already have an eLogger, I am wondering if I will be able to use the OSD Pro in other "custom" applications.

Thanks,
Vassilis
vassilis is offline Find More Posts by vassilis