goryc is offline Find More Posts by goryc
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:38 PM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goryc View Post
My first real FPV flight with Barometric Altimeter and Airspedd (which does not work as much). On the next flight I will change the position Pitot tube and see. Thank you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf4Eu...ature=youtu.be
Hi Gory,

fine to see that your system acts well
i know that the first time of a et-setup is a long way, but the result is almost perfect for a first flight with rth - my congratulations!

some ideas to think about:
youre not showing the current on the osd. in flight the current helps me a lot to see if the motor is running and if im at the throttle position of the best ratio.
your rssi values are a little bit low. maybe your antenna position is not the best or you have to recalibrate.

cu Thomas
Thint1 is offline Find More Posts by Thint1
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:06 PM
Italy, Sicilia, Messina
Joined Apr 2011
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thint1 View Post
Hi Gory,

fine to see that your system acts well
i know that the first time of a et-setup is a long way, but the result is almost perfect for a first flight with rth - my congratulations!

some ideas to think about:
youre not showing the current on the osd. in flight the current helps me a lot to see if the motor is running and if im at the throttle position of the best ratio.
your rssi values are a little bit low. maybe your antenna position is not the best or you have to recalibrate.

cu Thomas
Thanks for the suggestions, I will treasure.
For the RSSI I will better position the antenna of my RX R6014HS (not 90 ), the calibration I think it's good.
Thanks for the compliments.
Gory
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:34 AM
France, Bourgogne, Nevers
Joined Feb 2012
537 Posts
Need a link, or a description

I'm finally getting around to setting up RTH, and need a pointer or two, starting with the Carlyle method.
I've searched back to 2010 for a good description of the "Carlyle Method", but no soap. A zillion references, and I can guess at it from context, but I'd rather have a straight shot.
Anyone willing to walk me through this?
wazoo22 is offline Find More Posts by wazoo22
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:44 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo22 View Post
I'm finally getting around to setting up RTH, and need a pointer or two, starting with the Carlyle method.
I've searched back to 2010 for a good description of the "Carlyle Method", but no soap. A zillion references, and I can guess at it from context, but I'd rather have a straight shot.
Hi wazoo,
no problem .... its easy
my first question: which method do you prefer - activate rth with the throttle trim or with a seperate switch on your transmitter?
2nd question: which transmitter/receiver do you use?

cu Thomas
Thint1 is offline Find More Posts by Thint1
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:01 AM
Long Range FPV'er
Joined Feb 2009
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo22 View Post
Here is a post I did on how I set up the Carlyle method on my futaba 10c with a switch..
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=9500
Mykro is online now Find More Posts by Mykro
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:07 PM
Joined Jan 2012
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goryc View Post
My first real FPV flight with Barometric Altimeter and Airspedd (which does not work as much). On the next flight I will change the position Pitot tube and see. Thank you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf4Eu...ature=youtu.be
Nice!! It is lots of fun!!!

Best
Michael
mikenc is offline Find More Posts by mikenc
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:30 PM
Italy, Sicilia, Messina
Joined Apr 2011
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miknce View Post
Nice!! It is lots of fun!!!

Best
Michael
thank you very much
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:51 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Dec 2011
137 Posts
Really liking my Eagletree OSD but there are a couple of things that would make it much more enjoyable:

1. Is there any way to set your home position as a permenent co-ordinate rather than have to wait each time to get enough Sats and reset your home position?

2. When I get a failsafe, the osd menu comes on. I use the single channel 3 position switch option on my 9X to operate the osd remotely and have set the failsafe (on the dragonlink) so that the switch is in the middle position but obviously when it is loosing signal the ppm is going into negative and activating the menu. This isn't an Eagletree OSD fault I know but is there any advise on how to prevent this?

Many thanks!
Bluestreak007 is offline Find More Posts by Bluestreak007
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:57 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreak007 View Post
Really liking my Eagletree OSD but there are a couple of things that would make it much more enjoyable:

1. Is there any way to set your home position as a permenent co-ordinate rather than have to wait each time to get enough Sats and reset your home position?

2. When I get a failsafe, the osd menu comes on. I use the single channel 3 position switch option on my 9X to operate the osd remotely and have set the failsafe (on the dragonlink) so that the switch is in the middle position but obviously when it is loosing signal the ppm is going into negative and activating the menu. This isn't an Eagletree OSD fault I know but is there any advise on how to prevent this?

Many thanks!
You could install one of these in the plane

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Fail_Safe.html

and set that channel to what you need.
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:58 PM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,208 Posts
Quote:

Many thanks!
Couple of ideas, ... I'm new to all this too, but some ideas anyway ...
1. If you fly without waiting for sattelite lock, you will not get correct rth, height or position, distance from home, etc operation. Lock should only take a couple of minutes when initially powering up for the day, and a few seconds thereafter. If not, look for problems eg move gps unit away from interference, work it so your gps powers up before powering VTx, camera etc.
2. I had to stretch servo end point adjustment for aux 1 and 2 to stop the menu popping up at odd times, and it also seems a little sensitive to neutral position. If failsafe is bringing up the menu. reset your failsafe with the menu activation switch in a position that does not activate the menu. Mine failsafes to rth.

Mark
kaz1104 is offline Find More Posts by kaz1104
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:07 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,390 Posts
(+1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz1104 View Post
couple of ideas, ... I'm new to all this too, but some ideas anyway ...
1. If you fly without waiting for sattelite lock, you will not get correct rth, height or position, distance from home, etc operation. Lock should only take a couple of minutes when initially powering up for the day, and a few seconds thereafter. If not, look for problems eg move gps unit away from interference, work it so your gps powers up before powering vtx, camera etc.
2. I had to stretch servo end point adjustment for aux 1 and 2 to stop the menu popping up at odd times, and it also seems a little sensitive to neutral position. If failsafe is bringing up the menu. Reset your failsafe with the menu activation switch in a position that does not activate the menu. Mine failsafes to rth.

Mark
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:10 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Dec 2011
137 Posts
Thanks for the replies
I'm not sure if that would help me Polix as I already have a failsafe setup with Dragonlink.
I think that the problem is that it when it looses signal all the ppm signals go to negative briefly before the failsafe kicks in? I have the failsafe on the Dragonlink set in the position to not activate anything but this doen't seem to help???
Yeh, I know if I head off without getting a satelite lock it will think my home position is where ever it eventually gets lock. By the way, I don't fly FPV - I drive FPV It only takes a minute or 2 to get a lock but I'm just impatient! I have antenna tracking as well which means it is even more important. I just think it would be a good feature to be able to fix your home position with co-ordinates so you don't have to wait around (i.e. like how you set your waypoint co-ordinates) - My homebase is always the same (my antenna is on my roof). Maybe a future software update???
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:36 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
1,046 Posts
1. You don't need to 'Rest Home Position' in the menu each time before you fly/drive as it is automatically set at your current position each time your battery is connected. Even without going to that menu item.

The problem with being able to fix the coordinates is that for sure somebody will forget to change the coordinates when they change flying/driving sites and when failsafe occurs their model suddenly flies/drives off to the previous launch site 10 km away or whereever.
There is a very good reason for the coords to be set automatically each time power is applied.

2. Set your Failsafes as you said with the 3 pos switch in the centre position. When you run the Servo Analysis Wizard, make sure the 3 position switch is in the Centre position when you turn your Tx off. That way the OSD will record that there is no change. Then when flying/driving, fly/drive with the switch in the centre position (normal mode) as much as possible. ie don't let the menu time out so the switch is off centre when looking at the flight screen.

Then if you have a Failsafe there should be no change on that channel and no false detect of going into the menu.

Geoff

Quote:

Many thanks!
garris2 is offline Find More Posts by garris2
Last edited by garris2; Dec 19, 2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:02 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Dec 2011
137 Posts
Thanks Geoff. Yeh, I see what you mean by not having a default home location as a safety (maybe just have a special version for me then! )
I haven't tried the servo analysis wizard so might give that a go! Cheers