HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:35 PM
Italy, Sicilia, Messina
Joined Apr 2011
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdec87 View Post
You're getting all the turbulence from the camera and nose of the plane. Ideally you want is in front of the nose, or at least an inch out from the side near the nose.
Thank you!
Even I thought the nose was better but I'm afraid that might break in heavy landings! Let's see if I can find a solution that will secure the tube!
Thank you again.
Gory
goryc is online now Find More Posts by goryc
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:44 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,315 Posts
goryc,

the you will surely bend the sh*% out of it at the nose.

I have been looking at this for some time, and the best solution is to
get a extension pigtail from ET, and embed the sensor in the wing, with the pitot tube just in front of it.
I would go aprox 9"-12" out from the center.

That way you have short tubes
a protected Pitot tube
and clean air.

the drawback is that you have to unplug the pigtail when you remove the wings.

Not really a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goryc View Post
Thank you!
Even I thought the nose was better but I'm afraid that might break in heavy landings! Let's see if I can find a solution that will secure the tube!
Thank you again.
Gory
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:18 PM
Italy, Sicilia, Messina
Joined Apr 2011
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
goryc,

get a extension pigtail from ET, and embed the sensor in the wing, with the pitot tube just in front of it.

a protected Pitot tube
and clean air.

Not really a big deal.
Plug the Pitot tube on the wing can be done but it seemed complicated, not so much for the link, and for the balance to be settled between the wing and the other. The extension cable is easy to do, you might have some difficulty with connecting tubes of silicone. Let's see, that's another good idea!
Thank you.
Gory
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:22 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
I have mine on the side of the fus near the nose. I built a little stand off so there's space from the fus and the tube. That works well and its protected.
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:40 PM
Italy, Sicilia, Messina
Joined Apr 2011
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdec87 View Post
I have mine on the side of the fus near the nose. I built a little stand off so there's space from the fus and the tube. That works well and its protected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
goryc,

a protected Pitot tube
and clean air.

Not really a big deal.
Thank you so much but it is not that you have any pictures of your installations to simplify my installation?
Thank you in advance.
Gory
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:55 PM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,132 Posts
Quote:
Thank you so much but it is not that you have any pictures of your installations to simplify my installation?
Thank you in advance.
Gory
Hi Gory,

have a llo ka this post - there i described how to mont the pitot-tube flexible.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=130

cu Thomas
Thint1 is offline Find More Posts by Thint1
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:45 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,315 Posts
I like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thint1 View Post
Hi Gory,

have a llo ka this post - there i described how to mont the pitot-tube flexible.

cu Thomas
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:36 PM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
734 Posts
Quote:
Thank you in advance.
Gory
Gory,

Here's how I did mine. It works well and easy to hook up.

Steve
Floater73 is offline Find More Posts by Floater73
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:37 AM
Italy, Sicilia, Messina
Joined Apr 2011
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thint1 View Post
Hi Gory,

cu Thomas

Very interesting this solution! But I have some questions:
1. Even using the Dremel does not ruin the edges of the tube, especially the inner?
2. with the soft tube connecting stretches the Pitot tube, this length variation does not affect the accuracy of the reading of the speed?
Thank you.
Gory
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:38 AM
Italy, Sicilia, Messina
Joined Apr 2011
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater73 View Post
Gory,

Here's how I did mine. It works well and easy to hook up.

Steve
Thank you, good solution
Gory
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:50 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,132 Posts
Quote:
Very interesting this solution! But I have some questions:
1. Even using the Dremel does not ruin the edges of the tube, especially the inner?
2. with the soft tube connecting stretches the Pitot tube, this length variation does not affect the accuracy of the reading of the speed?
Thank you.
Gory
Hi,

yes, after "dremeling" the edges are sharp ... very bad for silicone tubes you have to smoothen the edges after cutting. for the innerdiameter a dill is o.k. for the outer diameter i´ve done this with a sanding paper.

the lenght of the tubing doesn´t affect the accuracy ... the sensor measures the pressure, not the flow.
the accuracy is the highest if the dynamic pressure in the "right way". that means in front of the plane in an area where no turbulances are and parallel to the airflow. thats the reason why my tube is aligned a liitle downwards to compensate the angle of attack.

cu Thomas
Thint1 is offline Find More Posts by Thint1
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:49 PM
Joined Jan 2012
249 Posts
Well i am about half way afraid to post what my problem was or maybe i should say what i think my problem was. I haven't had a change to check under flight conditions yet.
Seems as my vtx antenna was keeping gps from locking in. I had changed from IB Crazy V antenna to this one http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/1.2GHz-1....-V-Dipole.html and had mounted it up higher than i had had it mounted before, in order to get it more above motor.
changed it back to ibcrazy v and gps has worked fine since. Haven't been able to fly yet due to bad weather, but ground checks have all worked out fine. Checked it at least six times and it has worked fine.
That dpcav antenna had worked fine before, but it was mounted lower. Anyone alse experenced similar problem.
Best
Michael
mikenc is offline Find More Posts by mikenc
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:54 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,315 Posts
Interresting.

Hopefully you have it worked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miknce View Post
Well i am about half way afraid to post what my problem was or maybe i should say what i think my problem was. I haven't had a change to check under flight conditions yet.
Seems as my vtx antenna was keeping gps from locking in. I had changed from IB Crazy V antenna to this one http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/1.2GHz-1....-V-Dipole.html and had mounted it up higher than i had had it mounted before, in order to get it more above motor.
changed it back to ibcrazy v and gps has worked fine since. Haven't been able to fly yet due to bad weather, but ground checks have all worked out fine. Checked it at least six times and it has worked fine.
That dpcav antenna had worked fine before, but it was mounted lower. Anyone alse experenced similar problem.
Best
Michael
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:29 PM
Tasmania, Australia
Joined Aug 2004
1,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miknce View Post
Best
Michael
I don't think that is too unusual. I make a practice of plugging in the flight battery, and waiting for a GPS lock (GPS light to stop flashing) before plugging in my power for the video transmitter.
Mark
kaz1104 is offline Find More Posts by kaz1104
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:48 PM
Joined Jan 2012
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz1104 View Post
I don't think that is too unusual. I make a practice of plugging in the flight battery, and waiting for a GPS lock (GPS light to stop flashing) before plugging in my power for the video transmitter.
Mark
High Mark,
I actually did that to several times. As soon as i plugged in video transmitter i would start loosing gps signal. For some reason there is some bad interference with that antenna.
Best
Michael
mikenc is offline Find More Posts by mikenc