HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:25 PM
Long Range FPV'er
Joined Feb 2009
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo24 View Post
reviewing the fdr file, it seems that what happened to finally make it come back was probably turning off the radio. Otherwise, what would have changed? cant understand, because when i throw the switch that i have programed to thro-thro mix for carlyle style failsafe trigger, the RTH engaged comes on everytime. I can't figure out how that would be any different than just turning off the Futaba radio entirely. But i'm more and more sure that is what finally made it come back. It correlate temporally too with my turning off the radio.
Jim,

When you threw the plane up for your very first flight of the day did you fly the plane LOS first to check if everything was working as it should..? Including making sure your Carlyle switch for RTH was working correctly??.. Did you check that the switch worked just before you flew..? Or did you check it at home on the bench before you went to fly and then figured everything was in perfect order when you got to the field and just threw the plane in the air and flew FPV...? Murphys law went into effect..
You have to ask yourself.. "What did I miss"??.. "Could what have happened to me have been prevented"??.. "What can I do in the future so as not to have a repeat of what just happened"??

As for me, there have been times where everything works great on the bench the night before but when I go flying the next day it goes to hell in a handbasket!!

In the past I found myself overlooking things often and I finally made up a check list of everything that should be checked prior to flying??
I start with a check list of things that need to be done the night before I go flying.. I even have a check list for when I load up my car so I don't forget something.. I try not to leave a stone un-turned before I go flying.. I've had a lost model before and it is a hard thing to face up too.. As I look back 99% of my mishaps could have been easily prevented.. I still overlook things, but I'm getting better..

Anyway.. Thats just my 2 cents..
Mykro is offline Find More Posts by Mykro
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mykro; Dec 13, 2012 at 11:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:02 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,377 Posts
I kind of think it was a coincidence.

If you watch the shape of the north eastern trek. You can see that it kept trying to turn.

Then I wonder if the wind died down at the time that it was able to turn and head home.

Not being there It is merely a guess, but it was clearly trying.

I would do some more testing before you completely trust it in the wind.

The settings I would be looking at immediately are

guardian menu:

max stab roll rth. I would increase that to the equal amount of max stab roll norm.

then I would look at turn proportional limit

and turn proportional gain.

if you increase any of these values be sure to test at a higher altitude so you can take over if something goes wrong.

but... I would personally start testing with those values a bit higher.

Quote:
reviewing the fdr file, it seems that what happened to finally make it come back was probably turning off the radio. Otherwise, what would have changed? cant understand, because when i throw the switch that i have programed to thro-thro mix for carlyle style failsafe trigger, the RTH engaged comes on everytime. I can't figure out how that would be any different than just turning off the Futaba radio entirely. But i'm more and more sure that is what finally made it come back. It correlate temporally too with my turning off the radio.
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:53 AM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,205 Posts
Quote:
Hmmm ... grasping at straws here, but is it possible that by turning off the transmitter, failsafe engaged with a little more down trim than normal, allowing the motor to increase power to offset the drop in altitude?? or does rth over ride all that?
kaz1104 is offline Find More Posts by kaz1104
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:45 AM
Joined Jan 2012
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
Michael,

I suspect that the guardian and the gps, and other sensors are creating a large draw on the osd & elogger 5V power.

I cannot get gps lock unless I plug in the back-up battery that I have encoporated since I installed the seagull.

I found that the backup battery is just too much weight combined with some other things that I have done to my airframe, so I need to lighten it up a bit.

I am going to just use the y-harness as a secondary power supply to the elogger.

You may want to try it and see if it resolves your issues. I'm betting that it will...
Thanks for suggestion i will give it a try. Problem is i haven't canged anything power wise since i set up plane and it has worked fine up until now. But it is still worth a try. Will have to dig out manual and see how the y harness hooks. I do still have it in my little box of goodies.
Michael
mikenc is offline Find More Posts by mikenc
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:01 PM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miknce View Post
Thanks for suggestion i will give it a try. Problem is i haven't canged anything power wise since i set up plane and it has worked fine up until now. But it is still worth a try. Will have to dig out manual and see how the y harness hooks. I do still have it in my little box of goodies.
Michael
hi Michael,

for that your setup has worked a good time then failed, worked again, ... maybe that the bus-cable to the gps has a broken lead or a bad solder connection.

cu Thomas
Thint1 is offline Find More Posts by Thint1
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:55 PM
ann arbor, mi
Joined Nov 2009
23 Posts
yea. i'll tweek max stab etc and do some trials. and yes, RTH did seem to work prior to that when it could return WITH the wind. The carlyle switch did in fact, each time, cause "RTH engaged", but again, for some reason failed to adequately return. got some testing to do. thanks to all.
jimbo24 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo24
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:12 PM
ScratchCrasher
Greece, Central Macedonia, Thessalonika
Joined Jun 2008
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thint1 View Post
hi Michael,

for that your setup has worked a good time then failed, worked again, ... maybe that the bus-cable to the gps has a broken lead or a bad solder connection.

cu Thomas
Hello Thomas,

I had an incident with GPS bus cable being disconnected intermittently during flight. Of course RTH was not working while the GPS was not communicating with the OSD, but the .kml flight path was also not being recorded properly. I doubt that jimbo24 had his GPS not working at some point in flight, since the flight path looks correctly recorded in the .kml file.

I am inclined to think that Mike has nailed it: wrong gain and limits settings, since the portion of the flight path that RTH was engaged consists only from very gentle turns. It is like the RTH settings do not give to the OSD the authority to turn the plane enough. Also, some weathervain effect on the airframe may have made the situation even worse.

Regards,
Stavros
sfakias is offline Find More Posts by sfakias
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:25 PM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,305 Posts
Quote:
yea. i'll tweek max stab etc and do some trials. and yes, RTH did seem to work prior to that when it could return WITH the wind. The carlyle switch did in fact, each time, cause "RTH engaged", but again, for some reason failed to adequately return. got some testing to do. thanks to all.
Hi,
i did some research using rth at higher windspeeds. my ugliest test was to be "blown" away from the home-point with no chance to recover at a windspeed equal than the normal cruising speed.
until bill implement a throttle/aileron management to prevent too low groundspeed and climbing above the cruise height followed by a glide i follow 2 "laws"

1: if the windspeed is greater than the half of the gliding speed - fly against the wind
2: be sure to have the plane trimmed for speed at failsafe - if the plane suffers on a bad climbout after this trim, help with a increased motorangle.

my personal "rekord" (10km with stock spektrum transmitter) was on a windy day. i powered out 75% capacity to reach this mark. the whole way back was with engaged rth ... and i reached home with 95% used. so you see that this trim is also a very efficient way to fly

cu Thomas
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:41 PM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfakias View Post
Hello Thomas,

I had an incident with GPS bus cable being disconnected intermittently during flight. Of course RTH was not working while the GPS was not communicating with the OSD, but the .kml flight path was also not being recorded properly. I doubt that jimbo24 had his GPS not working at some point in flight, since the flight path looks correctly recorded in the .kml file.

I am inclined to think that Mike has nailed it: wrong gain and limits settings, since the portion of the flight path that RTH was engaged consists only from very gentle turns. It is like the RTH settings do not give to the OSD the authority to turn the plane enough. Also, some weathervain effect on the airframe may have made the situation even worse.

Regards,
Stavros
Hi Stavros,

thanks for you reply ... but you mixed up 2 different issues

Michael ( tho whom i adressed my post) has gps issues after a time of good functionality. there i suspect a hardware failure. maybe gps or the bus to the gps.

jimbo24 ist the other actual issue with the rth problem at higher windspeeds ... there Mike gave the hints to tune a bit on the gains.

there are no issues posted from you a long time so i guess that the things go well for you - same like me . my system is working perfect, but there always wishes to get more
merry x-mas to greece

cu Thomas
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:07 PM
ScratchCrasher
Greece, Central Macedonia, Thessalonika
Joined Jun 2008
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thint1 View Post
Hi Stavros,

thanks for you reply ... but you mixed up 2 different issues

Michael ( tho whom i adressed my post) has gps issues after a time of good functionality. there i suspect a hardware failure. maybe gps or the bus to the gps.

jimbo24 ist the other actual issue with the rth problem at higher windspeeds ... there Mike gave the hints to tune a bit on the gains.

there are no issues posted from you a long time so i guess that the things go well for you - same like me . my system is working perfect, but there always wishes to get more
merry x-mas to greece

cu Thomas

Ooooops... You are right! Sorry for the confusion

I had some issues here and there, but I ironed them out, at least for now.
My main wish is more flying time, which is hard to get with a 2.5 years old and a 7 months old son, but they are also great fun.

Merry x-mas to you too my friend.
sfakias is offline Find More Posts by sfakias
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:07 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Does anyone know if the 3D guardian will display an AHI?
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:47 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,377 Posts
Not yet...

I don't know if they plan on integrating it with the OSD or not, but at this time, it does not integrate with the osd, so if you are going to use it; You would treat it as any other stand-alone stabilizer. The manual should walk you through the setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdec87 View Post
Does anyone know if the 3D guardian will display an AHI?
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:44 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Ah ok, thanks. It would be integrated with my OSD. So I'll just get the standard one. I need it for my flying wing.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:25 AM
Italy, Sicilia, Messina
Joined Apr 2011
300 Posts
Pitot tube

I need some advice!
Where you placed the Pitot tube for the speed sensor?
I have put here but does not work properly, despite bait out of the way from the cam, there are spots of shade, perhaps in turns, bringing the sensor to give me zero speed.

goryc is offline Find More Posts by goryc
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:07 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
You're getting all the turbulence from the camera and nose of the plane. Ideally you want is in front of the nose, or at least an inch out from the side near the nose.