HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:49 AM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
It looks like I have a flying airframe again
Looks to fly nice and smooth ... and yeah, interesting launch !!
kaz1104 is offline Find More Posts by kaz1104
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:02 AM
FPV junkie
m_beeson's Avatar
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,365 Posts
I wanted to have my hands on all of the sticks, in case something went wrong, so I had Dad throw it. "It's not really his thing", so considering; he did fairly well.

I knew it had power to straighten out as long as it flew half way decent.

As it turns out. It flew like it was on a rail.


I'm busy installing the FPV gear right now, so if all goes well; this will be my new FPV plane.

-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz1104 View Post
Looks to fly nice and smooth ... and yeah, interesting launch !!
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2012, 01:28 PM
2R Fly Team
smoln1's Avatar
Slovenija, Radovljica, Radovljica
Joined Jul 2009
206 Posts
Hello m_beeson. For a long time we did not hear. I was wondering something: I decided to mount the temperature sensor on the eagle tree. When I chose the program and temp2 set parameter, all OK. Then I saw the OSD to the unusually high temperature. For example, here at my house is around 20 degrees, but I figure shows the value of the 65 What is wrong here? I watched where I can choose where degrees or farate ..

Thanks man
smoln1 is offline Find More Posts by smoln1
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:42 PM
Registered User
Vlodek9's Avatar
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Sep 2010
1,196 Posts
Guardian issue (I think)

Hello all,
This weekend I started playing with guardian setting to resolve some issue I had that I posted in the past. My issues were:
1. Oscillation in the Roll- Resolved by changing the “Stabilizer Role Gain” =4
2. Not enough authority in Pitch/Roll- Resolved by changing the “Max Stab Pitch/Roll Normal” =40
I was very happy with the results but saw a new issue that I could not explain and still do not know what setting to adjust to fix.
When I climb with the Guardian ON, I notice that when I release the control stick to neutral (center), I do not get a level flight like I do with the Guardian turned off. Instead the nose drops almost violently to a dive like state. After a 5 to 10 foot drop, the airplane levels out. Attached is a crude drawing of what I’m trying to describe.
I do not snap the controller stick but I did notice that if I slowly move the stick back to center, it does not do DIP as bad.
I changed the “Stabilizer Responsiveness” to =5, which I think/thought made a difference.
But then on my last test flight, on takeoff, first full elevator UP, then ľ elevator up, then tried to level at about 10 feet of the ground, still at full throttle, the Guardian (I think) dropped the nose to the same dive as shown in the picture. Nose of the plane hit the ground at about a 45 degrees at full throttle.
Some damage but already repaired.
Still, I did not find any other issues nor could I create a similar/opposite response when I dive the plane.
Would anybody know where the problem may exist??
P.S. This does not happen with the Guardian OFF.

Thank you
Rob
Vlodek9 is online now Find More Posts by Vlodek9
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:48 PM
FPV junkie
m_beeson's Avatar
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,365 Posts
Did you purchase Eagle Tree temp sensor?

I tried one from another source once and it didn't work.


also:
Look at the elogger manual (page 15)

http://www.eagletreesystems.com/Supp...n%20Manual.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoln1 View Post
Hello m_beeson. For a long time we did not hear. I was wondering something: I decided to mount the temperature sensor on the eagle tree. When I chose the program and temp2 set parameter, all OK. Then I saw the OSD to the unusually high temperature. For example, here at my house is around 20 degrees, but I figure shows the value of the 65 What is wrong here? I watched where I can choose where degrees or farate ..

Thanks man
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:53 PM
FPV junkie
m_beeson's Avatar
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,365 Posts
It sounds like the Guardian "Level pitch / roll" is off.

When you fly with artificial horizon on, does the artificial horizon hover high, or is it dead center of the screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlodek9 View Post
Hello all,
This weekend I started playing with guardian setting to resolve some issue I had that I posted in the past. My issues were:
1. Oscillation in the Roll- Resolved by changing the “Stabilizer Role Gain” =4
2. Not enough authority in Pitch/Roll- Resolved by changing the “Max Stab Pitch/Roll Normal” =40
I was very happy with the results but saw a new issue that I could not explain and still do not know what setting to adjust to fix.
When I climb with the Guardian ON, I notice that when I release the control stick to neutral (center), I do not get a level flight like I do with the Guardian turned off. Instead the nose drops almost violently to a dive like state. After a 5 to 10 foot drop, the airplane levels out. Attached is a crude drawing of what I’m trying to describe.
I do not snap the controller stick but I did notice that if I slowly move the stick back to center, it does not do DIP as bad.
I changed the “Stabilizer Responsiveness” to =5, which I think/thought made a difference.
But then on my last test flight, on takeoff, first full elevator UP, then ľ elevator up, then tried to level at about 10 feet of the ground, still at full throttle, the Guardian (I think) dropped the nose to the same dive as shown in the picture. Nose of the plane hit the ground at about a 45 degrees at full throttle.
Some damage but already repaired.
Still, I did not find any other issues nor could I create a similar/opposite response when I dive the plane.
Would anybody know where the problem may exist??
P.S. This does not happen with the Guardian OFF.

Thank you
Rob
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:58 PM
FPV junkie
m_beeson's Avatar
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,365 Posts
ashdec,

I had a thought.

Are you running 4s LiPo's?

-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdec87 View Post
Does anyone else have an issue with the guardian (V1) drifting after a tight turn? Mine has been doing this for a while and its kind of annoying. It always comes back to center, but after the turn it goes way off for about 20 seconds.
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:24 PM
Registered User
Vlodek9's Avatar
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Sep 2010
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
It sounds like the Guardian "Level pitch / roll" is off.

When you fly with artificial horizon on, does the artificial horizon hover high, or is it dead center of the screen?
Actually the AH is a bit lower than center and does need to be re calibrated. However, despite that, the plane does fly level (for the most part). Still I think you may be on to something.
Which brings me to another point. I had the AH calibrated dead center. And it feels like after several flights, it's no longer centered as it once was. That's another point of interest I need to look into.

Thanks
Vlodek9 is online now Find More Posts by Vlodek9
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:44 PM
FPV junkie
m_beeson's Avatar
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,365 Posts
That is the point that I was going to make with ashdec.

I am running seagull, guardian, gps, and airspeed, and alt microsensors.

I am experiencing brownouts. so to resolve that, I have to run the Y harness to the elogger "throttle in" pinout. I have been running a backup battery for the safety of having backup power for the seagul (in place of the Y harness)

but I was wondering if you guys are experiencing low voltage to the elogger.

The OSD normally supplies power to the elogger, but in certain cases you may have to supply power to the elogger.

You wouldn't want to supply more than 5 - 5.5V.

I wonder if that would help the with the AHI.



Back to your subject.

You should get your AHI "dead on" That will help

after you get that, and trim it, then you will want to run servo analysis wizzard.

That should help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlodek9 View Post
Actually the AH is a bit lower than center and does need to be re calibrated. However, despite that, the plane does fly level (for the most part). Still I think you may be on to something.
Which brings me to another point. I had the AH calibrated dead center. And it feels like after several flights, it's no longer centered as it once was. That's another point of interest I need to look into.

Thanks
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:02 AM
Registered User
ashdec87's Avatar
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
ashdec,

I had a thought.

Are you running 4s LiPo's?

-Mike


I am experiencing brownouts. so to resolve that, I have to run the Y harness to the elogger "throttle in" pinout. .
Yep 4s. What do you mean by brown out?
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:05 PM
FPV junkie
m_beeson's Avatar
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdec87 View Post
Yep 4s. What do you mean by brown out?
I'll explain here too.


I am using a lot of sensors, and on top of that I am using the Seagull downed plane locator.

This causes a draw on the power from the elogger.

The elogger gets its power from the osd, and if that power drops below 5V for more than 15 miliseconds, then you could have a reset of the elogger

according to the manual.


Well, Bill recomended to me that I use a backup battery, and I was happy to do that, since I am using the Seagull Downed plane locator.

But as I was reading through the elogger manual, It hit me that

This could be happening to you, and It would be worth trying, If you want to test the supplied y harness.

it would hook from the BEC on the ESC to the (OSD Throttle out), and to the (elogger throttle in)
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:33 PM
Registered User
ashdec87's Avatar
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Hm that's interesting. I'll try it and see what happens. I dont think Im having that issue with the Sky Walker, but probably with my wing as its a single battery setup.
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:38 PM
Just FPV'n
Orange County Ca.
Joined Feb 2009
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
I'll explain here too.


I am using a lot of sensors, and on top of that I am using the Seagull downed plane locator.

This causes a draw on the power from the elogger.

The elogger gets its power from the osd, and if that power drops below 5V for more than 15 miliseconds, then you could have a reset of the elogger

according to the manual.


Well, Bill recomended to me that I use a backup battery, and I was happy to do that, since I am using the Seagull Downed plane locator.

But as I was reading through the elogger manual, It hit me that

This could be happening to you, and It would be worth trying, If you want to test the supplied y harness.

it would hook from the BEC on the ESC to the (OSD Throttle out), and to the (elogger throttle in)
Mike,

Have you a schematic diagram of your electronics..? A backup battery for the elogger seems to be the route I'm going to have to take...
Mykro is offline Find More Posts by Mykro
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:21 PM
FPV junkie
m_beeson's Avatar
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,365 Posts
I could put one together, but it is simple.

I plugged a 5V BEC into the elogger (throttle in)

Then I plugged a small 2S into the 5V BEC. (2S 1600 mah LiPo)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now here is the kicker.

I seem to be seeing a 5V feed from the main pack to the elogger throttle in,

and vica verca, from the back-up battery to the power supply (at the throttle out of the OSD).

Please confirm.

So I installed directional diodes to eliminate backfeed.

The reason that I did that is to

1) protect the BEC from backfeed (I don't know if it needs it)

2) Lengthen the life of the backup battery and eliminate unnecessary drain back to the main pack.

With the Seagull transmitter, I want to get more time out of the transmissions, so I will have time to get to my plane if it is lost in a difficult area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykro View Post
Mike,

Have you a schematic diagram of your electronics..? A backup battery for the elogger seems to be the route I'm going to have to take...
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:24 PM
FPV junkie
m_beeson's Avatar
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,365 Posts
If you were to use the Y-harness, you wouldn't have to worry about any of that.

Just plug it into your input voltage, to the OSD, and over to the elogger.
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale BRAND New CP Pro/with extra battery stgtech2 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Sep 06, 2006 09:35 PM
New eolo pro glitches with cc60 aschen Electric Heli Talk 24 May 20, 2004 08:12 AM
FS New Piccolo Fun with bearing upgrade and HA tail motor Bud Morrison Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Mar 21, 2004 06:32 PM
For Sale: NEW Pic Pro rotor head with stiffening mod Eco8gator Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Jun 02, 2003 09:16 PM