HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:15 PM
USA, UT, North Ogden
Joined Dec 2010
72 Posts
Couple of wild flights with ET equipment

Hope this experience is helpful to others. I did a couple of maiden flights on a skywalker with the latest ET OSD Pro, Elogger, GPS, Baro Altimeter, and Airspeed expander and Castle Creations 75A Ice ESC. I powered my dragonlink receiver thru a separate BEC that provided 5V. On the first flight I called for RTH and the airplane made a turn for home, circled around and then headed away from home. I switched RTH off and turned the plane towards me and it rolled over into a spiral - maybe a stall spin. I recovered briefly and then it rolled over again. I had no control. It crashed from about 250 feet. With relatively minor fixing, the plane was ready to go again.

On the second maiden, I found it difficult to get the airplane to turn on my stick commands. I experienced this on the first maiden as well. So I brought the skywalker back. On final approach to landing with 15 feet altitude, I controlled to turn left to line up and the airplane wouldnt respond. I went full left aileron and the airplane rolled to the right and spiraled in - to a crash landing.

I read in these threads that connecting the throttle connection from ESC to OSD with ground, power and signal wires was not a good idea. In my case, power was getting to the OSD from the fragonlink receiver and from the Castle Creations ESC. I read that noise goes from the ESC to the OSD thru ground and power signals. So I disconnected ground and power and flew with signal only from ESC to OSD Pro. Solved the problems I experienced in the maiden flights.
cavu flyer is offline Find More Posts by cavu flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:08 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,402 Posts
Did you fly yesterday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu flyer View Post
Hope this experience is helpful to others. I did a couple of maiden flights on a skywalker with the latest ET OSD Pro, Elogger, GPS, Baro Altimeter, and Airspeed expander and Castle Creations 75A Ice ESC. I powered my dragonlink receiver thru a separate BEC that provided 5V. On the first flight I called for RTH and the airplane made a turn for home, circled around and then headed away from home. I switched RTH off and turned the plane towards me and it rolled over into a spiral - maybe a stall spin. I recovered briefly and then it rolled over again. I had no control. It crashed from about 250 feet. With relatively minor fixing, the plane was ready to go again.

On the second maiden, I found it difficult to get the airplane to turn on my stick commands. I experienced this on the first maiden as well. So I brought the skywalker back. On final approach to landing with 15 feet altitude, I controlled to turn left to line up and the airplane wouldnt respond. I went full left aileron and the airplane rolled to the right and spiraled in - to a crash landing.

I read in these threads that connecting the throttle connection from ESC to OSD with ground, power and signal wires was not a good idea. In my case, power was getting to the OSD from the fragonlink receiver and from the Castle Creations ESC. I read that noise goes from the ESC to the OSD thru ground and power signals. So I disconnected ground and power and flew with signal only from ESC to OSD Pro. Solved the problems I experienced in the maiden flights.
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:30 PM
ann arbor, mi
Joined Nov 2009
23 Posts
mykro,

if during the servo wizard you put the throttle stick all the way "down" when it asks for level flight, then during the RTH, wont it think that level flight is throttle stick down and the plane won't have any throttle to go home with.?
jimbo24 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo24
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:55 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,402 Posts
jimbo,

when it asks for level flight, it is also taking note of the throttle position during level flight.

when it asks for climb, you set it to the position that you would normally set it to, in a reasonable climb.

when it asks for off, you set it to off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo24 View Post
mykro,

if during the servo wizard you put the throttle stick all the way "down" when it asks for level flight, then during the RTH, wont it think that level flight is throttle stick down and the plane won't have any throttle to go home with.?
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:55 PM
KD4KW
United States, FL, Tallahassee
Joined Jul 2009
68 Posts
Hi, First; no I have not read the entire thread. Sorry just to old and tired. So I most likely have missed the answer to my question. Please bear with me. I would like to display the ladder graphics on my osd. However. I don't have the pull down menu to select the graphics. I have the pull down to select the sensors to display and the right and left arrows to select pages is right under that.
I just upgraded to latest firmware tonite for osd and the V3 data collector. If I have over looked something or anyone knows how to turn on the select graphics menu please help an old man.......
Kd4Kw is offline Find More Posts by Kd4Kw
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:59 PM
ann arbor, mi
Joined Nov 2009
23 Posts
m_beeson
thx for the reply. that's what i set it to, but on the simulator now i have the servo deflections showing and when i trigger RTH, the throttle doesn't move onthe sim, just the other control surfaces.?
jimbo24 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo24
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:04 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,402 Posts
Are you using SPPM?

If so, then you should use this version

http://www.eagletreesystems.com/late...lpha/setup.exe

Just another thought on setup

Set your radio failsafes to Level flight, and throttle off and trimmed all of the way down.

Then you can trim it back up to the normal position that you fly with, and run servo analysis wizzard.

Also,
Your ESC should be set to fixed throttle endpoints, not autolearn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo24 View Post
m_beeson
thx for the reply. that's what i set it to, but on the simulator now i have the servo deflections showing and when i trigger RTH, the throttle doesn't move onthe sim, just the other control surfaces.?
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:10 AM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Jan 2004
998 Posts
Anyone heard anything about an Eagle Tree magnetometer for heading info?
eroeder is offline Find More Posts by eroeder
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:09 PM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd4Kw View Post
Hi, First; no I have not read the entire thread. Sorry just to old and tired. So I most likely have missed the answer to my question. Please bear with me. I would like to display the ladder graphics on my osd. However. I don't have the pull down menu to select the graphics. I have the pull down to select the sensors to display and the right and left arrows to select pages is right under that.
I just upgraded to latest firmware tonite for osd and the V3 data collector. If I have over looked something or anyone knows how to turn on the select graphics menu please help an old man.......
Hi,

see this post ...http://http://www.rcgroups.com/forum...postcount=9703

cu Thomas
Thint1 is offline Find More Posts by Thint1
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:24 PM
Joined Oct 2008
18 Posts
Any news about the distance limitation

Thanks ˇˇˇ
Jojó
jjsueldo is offline Find More Posts by jjsueldo
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:09 PM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Jan 2004
998 Posts
The altitude limit is a bummer too for us near-space balloon guys....
eroeder is offline Find More Posts by eroeder
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:00 PM
United States, AZ, New River
Joined Apr 2007
23 Posts
Altitude hold, Holding pattern?

To all you experts:

Is there any way to fly in manual stabilized mode AND have the ET OSD hold a fixed altitude?

How about initiating a holding pattern when in flight?

Thanks a lot

Ed
yak13 is offline Find More Posts by yak13
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:10 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,402 Posts
It looks like I have a flying airframe again

EVO-55" Maiden Flight (7 min 8 sec)
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:16 AM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
It looks like I have a flying airframe again

Congrats on a successful maiden! that was interesting but effective launch! do you have a name for that technique?
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:22 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,402 Posts
Ya, it's called

HOTYA "here we go"...

Thanks man.

It flew like it was on rails, but my thrust angle was a bit off.

I'm installing the FPV gear right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminiryan View Post
Congrats on a successful maiden! that was interesting but effective launch! do you have a name for that technique?