HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:42 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,382 Posts
Stavros,
I have been in those shoes. I didn't know how I got it to work,
but with some persistence; I worked through it.

I'm glad that you figured out the reason for the symptoms.

It looks like I have some catching up to do...

I have been out of town, and haven't had phone or internet for a few days,
but I was able to fly the hex in some cool places

southeast utah fpv (3 min 13 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfakias View Post
Hi Thomas,

My troubles were caused by the fact that two important aspects seemed to have different behaviour between the 10.17 and the 10.43 windows application version (and the corresponding ET components firmwae versions). The two aspects that changed are:

1) The firware can not be updated using only the USB power when running the 10.43, but I must have also connected the flight/video battery during firmware update. Note that I was updating only with the USB power up to now with no problems, and I did not changed anything in the wiring or setup in general. When I initially tried to update to 10.43 using USB power only, there was an error message displayed during the OSD FW update process, and then the OSD FW version was detected as "Unknown", if the LiPos were not plugged in.

2) The configuration setup using the PC application does not work correctly using the 10.43. I was settng up the sustem up to now using the windows application, and never had any problems, although I was aware that for other people the on-screen stick setup method was the only one that was working properly, and it is recommended in general to use the latter method for setup.

To resume, I managed to overcome the problems only by having the LiPos plugged in during FW updating, and setting up the parameters using the on-screen stick calibration method. I will fly tomorrow and hope that everything will work fine in the air, like was working before the FW update.

The reason that I wanted to update the windows application in the first place was to have the AHI working on the PC screen using the EagleEyes telemetry, and I can gladly say that it is actually working now! So, the frustration I went through the last 2 days was worth it (provided that tomorrow's flight goes well too...)

Best regards,
Stavros
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:59 PM
ScratchCrasher
Greece, Central Macedonia, Thessalonika
Joined Jun 2008
579 Posts
Dear all,

I am happy to report a great flight today, with the ET gear working excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thint1 View Post
Hi Stavros,
im on 10.52 ( improvements for better diversity for 5,8ghz) updated from 10.38.
update was powerd only from the usb with no issues, also no issues transferring the settings.
ive not tested the live ahi until now, because i sold the my tablet-pc (too dark display outside on sunny days) and the new netbook was delivered yesterday.

fingers crossed for your "maiden" tomorrow

cheers Thomas
Hi Thomas,
I was not aware of the 10.52 version. Does this solves the diversity issues with 1280MHz circular polarised antennas too (constantly switching between SPW and crosshair for example), or does it include improvements for 5.8GHz only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz1104 View Post
I suspect it comes down to how many items (associated with the osd) that are drawing power from the usb port. If the computer cannot power it correctly, the error message comes up.
Hi Kaz,
This could be the reason, although I must tell you that I did not changed anything in the hardware/wiring, and that I was using the same USB port of the same PC as I was doing with 10.17 version without problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
Stavros,
I have been in those shoes. I didn't know how I got it to work,
but with some persistence; I worked through it.

I'm glad that you figured out the reason for the symptoms.
Hi Mike,
It required persistence indeed....

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
It looks like I have some catching up to do...

I have been out of town, and haven't had phone or internet for a few days,
but I was able to fly the hex in some cool places

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfl-...eature=g-all-u
Nice scenery, and smooth flying

Regards,
Stavros
sfakias is offline Find More Posts by sfakias
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:54 PM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,306 Posts
Hi Stavros,

in my opinion the diversity switching issue is the same on 1,2 than on 5,8 ghz. circular antennas produce a "grainy" picture instead of the black and white "spikes" like "usual" antennas do at weak signals.
therefore the software had some troubles to detect a weaker picture.
with 10.52 the diversity is switching much more better, but its not 100% like a diverstity switch which uses rssi.

cu Thomas
Thint1 is offline Find More Posts by Thint1
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:31 AM
France, Bourgogne, Nevers
Joined Feb 2012
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz1104 View Post
It would work okay if you could live without rudder?? aileron and elevator only?
Another round-about way.....assuming you are looking for elevator and aileron through the osd pro .... in the transmitter wind your travel on rudder down to 0%. Mix rudder to an aux channel, then mix the aux 100% back to rudder. Might just fool the system and allow servos to operate properly without v tail mixer after the osd pro.
Just thinking out load here ....

Edit .. that won't work ... you have 2 servos, you can "Y" lead them, so you need both going through the osd. I assume the glider will not steer on rudder alone??
You could go back to the old days idea and do your mixing mechanically ... sliding tray for rudder servo. Ahh ... memories of the days before computer radios ...
Thanks for taking a shot at the problem. I remember well the sliding tray system- I used it on Don McGovern's lovely 8-foot Imperial, back in 1960 or so, with resonant reed equipment. Not enough room here, though.
Dates me as a contemporary of methuselah, --doesn't it?
I still have some hope for the high end digital programmable mixer---Digimix II.
I think the bird would fly OK on aileron-elevator, but only with differential ailerons to control adverse yaw---another thing that can't be done with the OSD Pro.
This stuff will drive me away from ET if it keeps up.
wazoo22 is offline Find More Posts by wazoo22
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:54 AM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo22 View Post
Thanks for taking a shot at the problem. I remember well the sliding tray system- I used it on Don McGovern's lovely 8-foot Imperial, back in 1960 or so, with resonant reed equipment. Not enough room here, though.
Dates me as a contemporary of methuselah, --doesn't it?
I still have some hope for the high end digital programmable mixer---Digimix II.
I think the bird would fly OK on aileron-elevator, but only with differential ailerons to control adverse yaw---another thing that can't be done with the OSD Pro.
This stuff will drive me away from ET if it keeps up.
Okay, the differential aileron I can answer. If your servo is on the bottom of the wing and you want more up than down travel, lengthen your control rods and move the servo arm on the spline as far forward as you can ... instant mechanical differential. (might be a problem if the servo lays flat though) ... anyway its another idea??
I'm not sure any of the other systems offer anything any better in terms of mixes etc.
I don't quite go back to r/c in the 60's but I'm still stuck in a time warp with my treasured Rossi motors, 80's era pattern ships, etc
kaz1104 is offline Find More Posts by kaz1104
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:27 PM
Italy, Sicilia, Messina
Joined Apr 2011
300 Posts
There were months when I try to set the best this OSD without success. Then I started reading this thread, and finally begin to make sense of it.
Many thanks to all, but especially to Thint1 and m_beeson. m_beeson thanks to your video tutorial I made ​​great strides. And thanks to Thint1 for allowing me to its basic settings. Now, over the counter, everything seems to work.
My equipment:
FPVRaptor 2m; Futaba T18, R6014; OSD Pro, E-logger, gps, guardian; Cam 420 generic sony (HiModel) Pan / Tilt built by me; vtx Sunsky 1.2 ghz; vrx Lawmate, 2 pinwheel built by me; monitor 9 "; MiniDV Sony to record video; 3S 5000mAh LiPo only; voltage stabilizer 12v.
I hope soon to show my video to thank you.
Hello and see you soon
Gory
goryc is offline Find More Posts by goryc
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:02 PM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goryc View Post
There were months when I try to set the best this OSD without success. Then I started reading this thread, and finally begin to make sense of it.
Many thanks to all, but especially to Thint1 and m_beeson. m_beeson thanks to your video tutorial I made ​​great strides. And thanks to Thint1 for allowing me to its basic settings. Now, over the counter, everything seems to work.
My equipment:
FPVRaptor 2m; Futaba T18, R6014; OSD Pro, E-logger, gps, guardian; Cam 420 generic sony (HiModel) Pan / Tilt built by me; vtx Sunsky 1.2 ghz; vrx Lawmate, 2 pinwheel built by me; monitor 9 "; MiniDV Sony to record video; 3S 5000mAh LiPo only; voltage stabilizer 12v.
I hope soon to show my video to thank you.
Hello and see you soon
Gory
Hi Gory,

nice to read that you are sucessful
i wish you many delightful flights and im curious about your first vids.

cu Thomas
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:05 AM
Italy, Sicilia, Messina
Joined Apr 2011
300 Posts
My friends, I have one more question: I have set the selection system (3 position switch) Aux1. Fail safe switch of mix (trh / trh), and so it all works perfectly! On Aux2 I added a potentiometer for variable control of the sensitivity of the Guardian (I think you do so)! But how do you see that the sensitivity change? I do not know any difference! Static test on the bench moving wings.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:42 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,306 Posts
Quote:
My friends, I have one more question: I have set the selection system (3 position switch) Aux1. Fail safe switch of mix (trh / trh), and so it all works perfectly! On Aux2 I added a potentiometer for variable control of the sensitivity of the Guardian (I think you do so)! But how do you see that the sensitivity change? I do not know any difference! Static test on the bench moving wings.
Hi Gory,
at the moment i use 2 switches on aux1 and aux2. i prefer 2 switches for menu acess. for rth i use the clarlyle-method but with a switchable mix like you do.

ive tested the guardian gain control on aux2 with a potentiometer. with a potentiometer you have to estimate the gain. poti closed means 0 gain; middle = gain 5 ; poti open = gain 10
on the bench you can hardly see any differences at different gains, because stabilisation is a dynamic process and your manual moves of the plane are never be the same as the plane does in the air.

for my personal style of flying fpv the variable gain has no advantages - i feel better with a fixed gain near to maximum and the option "center stick" with smallest possible "stick window" - "1". with this settings i get full control at stick movements and also maximum stabilisation when i let the sticks centered.

cu Thomas
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:49 AM
Italy, Sicilia, Messina
Joined Apr 2011
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thint1 View Post
Hi Gory,
at the moment i use 2 switches on aux1 and aux2. i prefer 2 switches for menu acess. for rth i use the clarlyle-method but with a switchable mix like you do.

ive tested the guardian gain control on aux2 with a potentiometer. with a potentiometer you have to estimate the gain. poti closed means 0 gain; middle = gain 5 ; poti open = gain 10
on the bench you can hardly see any differences at different gains, because stabilisation is a dynamic process and your manual moves of the plane are never be the same as the plane does in the air.

for my personal style of flying fpv the variable gain has no advantages - i feel better with a fixed gain near to maximum and the option "center stick" with smallest possible "stick window" - "1". with this settings i get full control at stick movements and also maximum stabilisation when i let the sticks centered.

cu Thomas
So, with my solution, I should try the feeling in the air?
With airplanes I like to do acrobatics lightweight rolls, loops, immelmann, etc.., Then I would be happy if I could have a variable control of the sensitivity of the Guardian!
Gory
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:25 PM
Joined Oct 2008
18 Posts
Any news about the distance limitation or i will to change to other osd like RVOSD
jjsueldo is offline Find More Posts by jjsueldo
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:45 PM
ScratchCrasher
Greece, Central Macedonia, Thessalonika
Joined Jun 2008
579 Posts
Quote:
Hello,

I do use a variable pot for the sensitivity of the guardian. The reason is that I prefer to launch and land with guardian off (up to now at least), and also to be able to test different guardian gains in different wind conditions or plane configurations (more or less weight on board).

You can actually see the guardin gain value on the OSD screen, if you tell your OSD to display servo deflections: Th, E and R servo deflections will display for throttle, elevator and rudder, then a G which is the guardian gain, and P and T which are the pan and tilt values for EagleEyes antenna tracker (I do not use these ATM).

I attach a snapshot of a flight, where the above can be seen. In this particular instant RTH was engaged, and the guardian gain displayed is 7, the value I have preset for RTH.

I hope the above helped.

Regards,
Stavros
sfakias is offline Find More Posts by sfakias
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:53 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,382 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1765522

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsueldo View Post
Any news about the distance limitation or i will to change to other osd like RVOSD
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:01 PM
Italy, Sicilia, Messina
Joined Apr 2011
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfakias View Post
Hello,

I do use a variable pot for the sensitivity of the guardian. The reason is that I prefer to launch and land with guardian off (up to now at least), and also to be able to test different guardian gains in different wind conditions or plane configurations (more or less weight on board).

You can actually see the guardin gain value on the OSD screen, if you tell your OSD to display servo deflections: Th, E and R servo deflections will display for throttle, elevator and rudder, then a G which is the guardian gain, and P and T which are the pan and tilt values for EagleEyes antenna tracker (I do not use these ATM).

I attach a snapshot of a flight, where the above can be seen. In this particular instant RTH was engaged, and the guardian gain displayed is 7, the value I have preset for RTH.

I hope the above helped.

Regards,
Stavros
Thank you! But also in the flight simulation? So I could test the system!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:06 PM
Italy, Sicilia, Messina
Joined Apr 2011
300 Posts
Another question:
- Flight simulator
- RTH engaged
- Height = 150mt RTH Home
- Everything on the table test
Everything seems to work except for the fact that the system can not maintain the set altitude. What could it be? It only happens with the flight simulator or if I use it live can maintain altitude?