HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:39 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
Does anyone else have an issue with the guardian (V1) drifting after a tight turn? Mine has been doing this for a while and its kind of annoying. It always comes back to center, but after the turn it goes way off for about 20 seconds.
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:45 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,411 Posts
Is your artificial horizon drifting also?

I would suspect one of three things.

1) guardian not mounted well and is moving (not likely)

2) guardian roll gains / or responsiveness too low

3) play in your aileron push rod connections, doesn't allow it to precisely make the necessary adjustments (most likely)

-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdec87 View Post
Does anyone else have an issue with the guardian (V1) drifting after a tight turn? Mine has been doing this for a while and its kind of annoying. It always comes back to center, but after the turn it goes way off for about 20 seconds.
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:25 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
AHI drifts also, so the aileron isnt the issue. Its mounted solidly. When I engage RTH, the turn is slow enough to not elicit this. Its when I make a hard turn (60 degree+ bank), or pull G's in a turn. I posted a video a while back of it doing this, I'll try to dig it up. I also have new video from today that I'll try to get up at some point.
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:36 AM
The Netherlands, UT, Amersfoort
Joined Aug 2004
108 Posts
Question for Billpa:

Perhaps I'm only the loonly for this, but it's my wish......

I fly with an 8 ch. system with cppm option. I like this cppm (or sum ppm) very much! Away with a lot of wires!
But it's all or nothing, I can't have the first 6ch as cppm and the last 2ch "normal".

So for my new project I want to put the cppm rx in the tail of the plane.
(Short coax to the inverted V antenna in the vertical stab)
From there only one servo wire to the OSD PRO.
Osd and Guardian will need 6 ch.

And than I like to have 2ch coming from the osd to the camera pan/tilt servo's

So would it be possible to change FW to use for example aux1 in and aux2 in for pan and tilt out?

Rienk
flymetothemoon is offline Find More Posts by flymetothemoon
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:35 PM
Long Range FPV'er
Joined Feb 2009
575 Posts
Fried throttle cable...

Went to fly this morning.. Threw the plane up, gave it considerable throttle and then the motors died.. The plane landed and I noticed the ESCs were beeping every two seconds. I opened up the fuselage and immediately noticed the negative wire on the cable going from "out" on OSD to the throttle harness was completely fried.. I immediately replaced it with a spare in the field, went to power up the plane, gave it throttle, and the same wire fried again.. I'm stumped..
Anyone have a possible solution??

Thanks
Michael
Mykro is offline Find More Posts by Mykro
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:49 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,411 Posts
it's always something

do you have another esc to test it with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykro View Post
Went to fly this morning.. Threw the plane up, gave it considerable throttle and then the motors died.. The plane landed and I noticed the ESCs were beeping every two seconds. I opened up the fuselage and immediately noticed the negative wire on the cable going from "out" on OSD to the throttle harness was completely fried.. I immediately replaced it with a spare in the field, went to power up the plane, gave it throttle, and the same wire fried again.. I'm stumped..

Thanks
Michael
Old Nov 04, 2012, 02:16 PM
Long Range FPV'er
Joined Feb 2009
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
it's always something

do you have another esc to test it with?
My twinstar has dual ESCs, on a Y harness.. Im not sure what to test first..or where to begin..

I'm stumped as to why this all of a sudden just happened ..
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:56 PM
ScratchCrasher
Greece, Central Macedonia, Thessalonika
Joined Jun 2008
579 Posts
I had the same problem with throttle ground wires being bunt. The reason was a ground loop through the ESC. The solution is to connect only the signal wire between the ESC and the OSD throttle out port. The ECS has its ground already connected with the rest of the system through the ground wire of the connection of the ESC and the E-logger. Therefore, the high current that goes through the motor can find its way back to the battery through the thin servo wire that connects the ESC to the OSD. So, you have to remove the ground wire between the ESC and the OSD. My above experience has been with an external BEC (the red wire between the ESC and the rc rx was not connected), but I suspect that it is the same situation if you use the internal ESC BEC too. Also, in a similar fashion, the ground wires burnt after they had been working fine for several flights up to that point.

Best regards,
Stavros
sfakias is offline Find More Posts by sfakias
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:00 PM
Long Range FPV'er
Joined Feb 2009
575 Posts
[QUOTE=sfakias;23182000]I had the same problem with throttle ground wires being bunt. The reason was a ground loop through the ESC. The solution is to connect only the signal wire between the ESC and the OSD throttle out port. The ECS has its ground already connected with the rest of the system through the ground wire of the connection of the ESC and the E-logger. Therefore, the high current that goes through the motor can find its way back to the battery through the thin servo wire that connects the ESC to the OSD. So, you have to remove the ground wire between the ESC and the OSD. My above experience has been with an external BEC (the red wire between the ESC and the rc rx was not connected), but I suspect that it is the same situation if you use the internal ESC BEC too. Also, in a similar fashion, the ground wires burnt after they had been working fine for several flights up to that point.

Best regards,
Stavros[/QUOTE

Thanks.. I'll give that a try...

Michael
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mykro; Nov 04, 2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:18 PM
GusCBA
Argentina, CB, Córdoba
Joined Mar 2010
22 Posts
OSD Pro Software Update Request… 65 Km distance limit reached!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post23200928
gstierli is offline Find More Posts by gstierli
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:22 PM
SemperFi!
United States, TX, Texarkana
Joined May 2012
331 Posts
Where is Bill?? I submitted a ticket to the website days ago and still no response..
BriGuy82 is offline Find More Posts by BriGuy82
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:51 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriGuy82 View Post
Where is Bill?? I submitted a ticket to the website days ago and still no response..
Hi Brian,

I know that they are busy working on a new project, but that's no excuse.

try emailing Bill directly he is more proactive than it appears. I checked out his posts a while back, and I was surprised at the amount of threads that he was answering.

-Mike
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:45 PM
Joined Oct 2008
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstierli View Post
Limitation on Eagle Tree

We need to free the distance count to get a new record ¡¡¡¡¡

Who Can Help?

Jojó
www.fpv-cba.com.ar
jjsueldo is offline Find More Posts by jjsueldo
Old Nov 06, 2012, 11:10 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
1,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykro View Post

Thanks
Michael
I also agree with Stravros that this situation is cause by a ground loop problem.
Geoff
garris2 is offline Find More Posts by garris2
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:57 PM
SemperFi!
United States, TX, Texarkana
Joined May 2012
331 Posts
Hey Mike.. This is my second flight ever FPV, to include any flying with ET equipment. On my first video a week ago, everything seemed to be great as far as displays (minus no sound), but this time I recorded two flights. My first flight (on this day), all of my OSD parameters displayed correctly on my goggles. However the second flight, I lost my distance to home display on the top left corner, it was like it was deleted from the settings menu.. Weird!

At the same time, I flew a bit further out this flight. Much higher altitude as well... When I got worried and hit RTH, the plane was very sluggish to respond (at one point it flew right over my head and kept going) so I ended up taking over controls with RTH still engaged. (I know I know, bad boy).. I could see the plane wanting to turn, but it was nothing like it was on my initial tests a week ago, and the flight before this one..

What do you think is going on here? Distance info and RTH responsiveness..

FPV Flight with SkyWalker V2 (15 min 18 sec)
BriGuy82 is offline Find More Posts by BriGuy82