HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:48 PM
Joined Jan 2012
249 Posts
Still having problems. I will have to say i have made some headway. Every thing was working fine until i plugged into osd to run wizzard. Now allerion or elevator will not work along with stablizer. Message stabalization disconnected, one time message elevator allerion not reconized or something like that. Bottom line it is has all stopped working.
Any help will be appreciated.
Michael
mikenc is offline Find More Posts by mikenc
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:42 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
That message usually comes on when you have the usb hooked up to the computer.

Run the servo analysisi wizzard throught the radio, and on screen menu.

that should help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miknce View Post
Still having problems. I will have to say i have made some headway. Every thing was working fine until i plugged into osd to run wizzard. Now allerion or elevator will not work along with stablizer. Message stabalization disconnected, one time message elevator allerion not reconized or something like that. Bottom line it is has all stopped working.
Any help will be appreciated.
Michael
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:42 PM
Long Range FPV'er
Joined Feb 2009
575 Posts
Personal best.. So far..

Here is my latest video..

A flight over Lake Perris, Moreno Valley Ca.
Elevation over 5,600 ft. 19,600 feet out.. Guardian sure makes it a breeze.. Had a really fun day of flying...

It was a bit windy.. Guardian smoothed things out quite well..

Lake Perris FPV (14 min 28 sec)
Mykro is offline Find More Posts by Mykro
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:14 AM
Joined Jan 2012
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
That message usually comes on when you have the usb hooked up to the computer.

Run the servo analysisi wizzard throught the radio, and on screen menu.

that should help.
Thanks!!! that got everything back to working.
I have made some progress finally getting rth to working thanks to your and Thomas's help.
Working on video to upload showing RTH.

Thanks again for your help.
Michael
Last edited by mikenc; Oct 17, 2012 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Up loading video showing RTH
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:22 AM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
Return Home Speeds

What do you guys use as a formula or setting for your return home speeds? I flew a new plane last weekend and the winds were about 10-15 mph. My max GS was 56 mph but my average was 23.6. My airspeed max was 49 and my average was 22.9. I never stalled to plane to test the stall speed and that may be a variable I need here. I think about 17 is the slowest airspeed this plane should go as the stall speed will increase in a bank. Why have a minimum GS value? Why not just have a minimum airspeed value if you have the airspeed sensor? Maybe GPS always used since at least everyone has that on board.

The max airspeed I flew was 49. That had to be into the wind I'm sure. However, that is about the max I would like to have the plane fly so I will put 49 as the value for max airspeed.

Do I treat minimum GS like airspeed? So if 17 is the slowest airspeed I want, should I make that my slowest GS?

Thanks,

Tony
Tony97 is offline Find More Posts by Tony97
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:10 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony97 View Post
What do you guys use as a formula or setting for your return home speeds? I flew a new plane last weekend and the winds were about 10-15 mph. My max GS was 56 mph but my average was 23.6. My airspeed max was 49 and my average was 22.9. I never stalled to plane to test the stall speed and that may be a variable I need here. I think about 17 is the slowest airspeed this plane should go as the stall speed will increase in a bank. Why have a minimum GS value? Why not just have a minimum airspeed value if you have the airspeed sensor? Maybe GPS always used since at least everyone has that on board.

The max airspeed I flew was 49. That had to be into the wind I'm sure. However, that is about the max I would like to have the plane fly so I will put 49 as the value for max airspeed.

Do I treat minimum GS like airspeed? So if 17 is the slowest airspeed I want, should I make that my slowest GS?

Thanks,

Tony
Hi Tony,

there is no formula because itīs a complex calculation and depends on the actual environment, your settings and capacity left in the batteries.

your plane is always fying "airspeed". this speed depends on the airframe, but is independent from wind. there you should observe 4 speeds
stall speed, gliding speed, cruising speed, maximum speed.

for rth only 2 speeds are relevant: gliding speed (above the height), cruising speed (on height) ... both speeds should be higher than the windspeed to prevent troubles.

the min groundspeed is those speed you want to have at least to get the plane home without running out of battery capacity.
may be very low if you fly near home at high windspeeds or may be high if you are in distance on calm days. but should alway be lower than cruise speed.

the max. windspeed for save flying is: cruise speed minus min. groundspeed
make sure that the plane has always enough capacity left to to the rth in the time defined with the min. groundspeed and the actual range!

cheers Thomas
Thint1 is offline Find More Posts by Thint1
Last edited by Thint1; Oct 17, 2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:50 PM
Night flier
United Kingdom, England, Bromyard
Joined Mar 2008
837 Posts
More help needed. got the sound of OSD working fine i can hear her annouce high and temp fine but i cant hear the sound from the in built mic in camera. i checked a few wiring diagrams and every one seems to be same as mine single wire into signal for sound. no earth or live. its 12v and brand new mic does work i checked b4 wiring Eagle OSD pro. Could someone tell me if the feed in for mic needs earth and 12 volts or does it need it on the audio out side? Still getting the same warning google earth live feed file cant be created!!!
austin.laws is offline Find More Posts by austin.laws
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:56 PM
Joined Jan 2012
249 Posts
Rth

It is at least coming back home but still needs some tuning. I combined two videos. First part shows plane making turn toward home that seems to be pretty good. But after reaching home position turns are not smooth at all. Second part at 3:00 shows plane coming back as it decends from 700 ft or so. Plane not flying straight. Looks like it is making a z pattern. I am sure i need to make some more adjustments but unshure what to adjust.
I have to make all adjustments after i land. I am not comfortable with trying to go through menu while flying. To hard to see
Thanks for your help.
Michael

Eagle Tree RTH Testing (7 min 10 sec)
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:43 PM
ScratchCrasher
Greece, Central Macedonia, Thessalonika
Joined Jun 2008
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin.laws View Post
More help needed. got the sound of OSD working fine i can hear her annouce high and temp fine but i cant hear the sound from the in built mic in camera. i checked a few wiring diagrams and every one seems to be same as mine single wire into signal for sound. no earth or live. its 12v and brand new mic does work i checked b4 wiring Eagle OSD pro. Could someone tell me if the feed in for mic needs earth and 12 volts or does it need it on the audio out side? Still getting the same warning google earth live feed file cant be created!!!
Hello.
I do not know which camera with built in mic you have, but I assume that the mic gets its power and ground internally in the camera, sharing the same power and ground that it is used for the video part of the camera. In that case, you can run the single audio signal line only through the OSD audio in and out ports, without bothering with the audio power and audio ground pins of the OSD, since these are already common with the video lines. The audio and power pins of the OSD are just a pass-through, used for convenience, if someone wants to do so. All ground pins of the OSD are connected, giving a convenient point to have common ground between components. However, a mic can function perfectly even if you do not usethe audio V+ and ground OSD pins at all, provided that you have a common ground of the audio line with the rest of the FPV system somewhere in the FPV system harness.

Check to see the audio levels settings in the windows application (may be too low?), and also doublecheck that you have not selected accidentally the option to mute the external mic.

Regards,
Stavros
sfakias is offline Find More Posts by sfakias
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:45 PM
SemperFi!
United States, TX, Texarkana
Joined May 2012
331 Posts
Can someone please explain to me the differences between the rx inputs on the OSD menu? I see 3 pos switch, 3 pos switch (RTH), and Aux 1/2.. What is the difference between these inputs?? I think it's hanging me up on setting up my RTH and switch inputs.

So if I wanted to be able to surf my menus on my goggles and enable RTH via a switch, which option should I choose? And if I can't, I can still set the carlye method to a switch? Thats what aux 2 is for?
BriGuy82 is offline Find More Posts by BriGuy82
Last edited by BriGuy82; Oct 17, 2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:11 AM
Joined May 2004
717 Posts
Thanks so much for the very easy to follow and helpful info Thomas. I'll try and fly Friday and note gliding speeds then program all in and test.

Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thint1 View Post
Hi Tony,

there is no formula because itīs a complex calculation and depends on the actual environment, your settings and capacity left in the batteries.

your plane is always fying "airspeed". this speed depends on the airframe, but is independent from wind. there you should observe 4 speeds
stall speed, gliding speed, cruising speed, maximum speed.

for rth only 2 speeds are relevant: gliding speed (above the height), cruising speed (on height) ... both speeds should be higher than the windspeed to prevent troubles.

the min groundspeed is those speed you want to have at least to get the plane home without running out of battery capacity.
may be very low if you fly near home at high windspeeds or may be high if you are in distance on calm days. but should alway be lower than cruise speed.

the max. windspeed for save flying is: cruise speed minus min. groundspeed
make sure that the plane has always enough capacity left to to the rth in the time defined with the min. groundspeed and the actual range!

cheers Thomas
Tony97 is offline Find More Posts by Tony97
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:07 AM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
738 Posts
Quote:
It is at least coming back home but still needs some tuning. I combined two videos. First part shows plane making turn toward home that seems to be pretty good. But after reaching home position turns are not smooth at all. Second part at 3:00 shows plane coming back as it decends from 700 ft or so. Plane not flying straight. Looks like it is making a z pattern. I am sure i need to make some more adjustments but unshure what to adjust.
I have to make all adjustments after i land. I am not comfortable with trying to go through menu while flying. To hard to see
Thanks for your help.
Michael

http://youtu.be/xEbI7sOaV58
Hi Michael,

Your RTH appears to be working correctly. The turns around home can vary a lot depending on wind gusts. At 300 feet the plane can get blown around a lot if there is a wind. It looks like you're only using GPS speed so it's hard to tell what the airspeed is. It looks to me like the plane is flying pretty close to stall speed. That can cause the plane to roll even with a Guardian. As soon as the airspeed increases the Guardian will correct the course.

I think the second RTH is the same thing. The plane is well above 300 feet so it's gliding and seems really close to stall. When it stalls the wing falls to one side and the speed picks up and the Guardian then is able to again control the plane and turn to home.

I think an airspeed sensor would help you see and understand what's happening.

I've had my Radian do the same when it's gliding and there are gusts.

Steve
Floater73 is offline Find More Posts by Floater73
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:18 AM
ScratchCrasher
Greece, Central Macedonia, Thessalonika
Joined Jun 2008
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriGuy82 View Post
Can someone please explain to me the differences between the rx inputs on the OSD menu? I see 3 pos switch, 3 pos switch (RTH), and Aux 1/2.. What is the difference between these inputs?? I think it's hanging me up on setting up my RTH and switch inputs.

So if I wanted to be able to surf my menus on my goggles and enable RTH via a switch, which option should I choose? And if I can't, I can still set the carlye method to a switch? Thats what aux 2 is for?
Hi Brian,

read the "Configuring the OSD Pro with the On-Screen Menus" section of the OSD manual, at page 11, onto page 12.

Regards,
Stavros
sfakias is offline Find More Posts by sfakias
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:30 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
In guardian menu:

decrease "max stab roll"

this will loosen up your turns a bit, so it doesn't crank those tight turns.

In safety menu:

decrease "pitch derivative gain"

this will decrease the porpoising

*note- by decreasing pitch derivative gain, you may need to compinsate by raising pitch proportional gain. Only do this if the model stops climbing and seeking altitude. i.e. if it dives...

I would suggest raising your cruise altitude and home altitude for testing. Give yourself another hundred feet or so, so you have time to take command if things go wrong.

Quote:
Thanks for your help.
Michael

http://youtu.be/xEbI7sOaV58
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:54 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,409 Posts
way cool Mykro

at the time of your failsafe "given that your distance is not LOS"

Your plane was 3.86 miles LOS.

That was a great flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykro View Post
Here is my latest video..

A flight over Lake Perris, Moreno Valley Ca.
Elevation over 5,600 ft. 19,600 feet out.. Guardian sure makes it a breeze.. Had a really fun day of flying...

It was a bit windy.. Guardian smoothed things out quite well..

http://vimeo.com/51438292